Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM

153 posts, read 417,543 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to move to Montreal from the U.S. because from what I've heard and seen it's less hectic than NYC and I love that it has a European, French feel to it.

I'm looking to work in advertising or marketing and have 2 internships but the problem I face now is lack of French. I can understand it fairly well but speak it broken so I plan to spend the next 6-7 months learning it intensively. 2-3 of those months I plan to live in France where I hope to speak it all the time.

So my question is will I have to be 100% fluent written and speaking French in order to have a career in Montreal? I'm confident that I can be pretty fluent by then but there's just no way I can be completely fluent in time so Im wondering if id be wasting my time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 08:51 PM

482 posts, read 2,422,482 times
First thing first... Do you have a work permit or landed immigrant status to work in Canada?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
First thing first... Do you have a work permit or landed immigrant status to work in Canada?
No, I went on canadavisa.com and filled out some information and then received a reply from an immigration officer or attorney or something. He basically said I'm not eligible to immigrate or have a work visa until I have a job offer. So I've been applying for various jobs but so far haven't had any luck. On a side note Im thinking of taking the Tefaq since I've heard it can add points for expats.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,429,979 times
If you are comfortable carrying on a general conversation in French then your French is good enough to say yes to any application where the question "do you speak French" arises.
To improve your linguistic skills there are many opportunities to do so right in Montreal..
http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy&hl...5210affd154cf0

Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 AM

65 posts, read 157,549 times
I agree with Jambo, if you are motivated to come here, try it out for a bit at least; then learning the language will be a cool thing and the resources are there to help you do that. Besides that, you will be meeting new people in the process; immigrants like you who have to deal with that reality. Learning anew language is not like a trip to the dentist. Good Luck!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 AM

658 posts, read 725,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post
I agree with Jambo, if you are motivated to come here, try it out for a bit at least; then learning the language will be a cool thing and the resources are there to help you do that. Besides that, you will be meeting new people in the process; immigrants like you who have to deal with that reality. Learning anew language is not like a trip to the dentist. Good Luck!

Just seems like the people are so snobby about French, though. It's that terrible attitude that makes french seem so ugly. It's kinda funny since the actual French people from France look down on the Quebecois while the Quebecois are so busy looking down on the English.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Just seems like the people are so snobby about French, though. It's that terrible attitude that makes french seem so ugly. It's kinda funny since the actual French people from France look down on the Quebecois while the Quebecois are so busy looking down on the English.
What I've found is that if you try to speak French even if it comes out horrible eventually they will treat you better because it shows them you really are trying. Of course I've had one French person continue to roll their eyes at me no matter how much I tried but it was just because her personality was very harsh. Most of the French I meet take their language seriously and have like a chip on their shoulder when it comes to the English because they assume the English think their language is and should be the default all over the world. So when you prove them wrong and show you are humble to their language and culture and are trying I find they let their "rude" guard down.

I've also found that the Quebecois in Quebec City are very different from in Montreal. I find those in Montreal to be more open and friendly whereas those from Quebec city do not trust strangers easily and are not as warm. And seeing a stranger speaking a foreign language to them annoys them I guess lol

I hope my idea of Montreal is right and I don't go through all this trouble for nothing.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 PM

65 posts, read 157,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Were you drinking yourself silly while writing this?

What a lot of drivel Camilla.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 PM

14 posts, read 35,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
So my question is will I have to be 100% fluent written and speaking French in order to have a career in Montreal?
It's more than an asset, for sure. Especially if you want to work in advertising and marketing: you need to speak very good French to be hired. French is the only official language here, as in the States you will need to have a strong knowledge of English to have a career (not just a "job") you will need to speak good French to get a career in Montréal. But you can learn french easily.

But if you're planning to get started from the bottom, you can easily get a job (customer services, call representative, waiter, cashier, etc.) with a little French knowledge. And improve it and be able to get better jobs.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal