Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 05:43 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times

Advertisements

Yes, Canadian citizens can not only study for free, but in many cases also receive funding just like immigrants. Speaking of Montreal, since I know it first-hand, but most likely the same system exists in other Quebec cities/towns.

You are a Canadian citizen, born or naturalized, and have lived in Canada for any number of years.

a. You can be funded by Emploi Quebec as a person willing to live and work in Quebec and needing language training to do that. To prove that you go to a job center (CLE = Centre local d'emploi), fill out a form, get an appointment, and speak to a counsellor. You're more likely to get a green light for funding if you have never worked in Quebec. The funding varies between $150-$250 a week, depending on your previous circumstances. If you just graduated and have zero job experience anywhere in Canada, you get $150/week. If you have job experience outside Quebec, you will get $250/week. I see many people funded by Emploi Quebec - there is really little threshold to overcome: just show up for an interview and show your interest in Quebec. Emploi Quebec seems (so far) very friendly to people willing to learn the language and the culture.

If you need childcare while you are at school, the childcare is also covered by Emploi Quebec. No difference if your children are small or school age - the school daycare will be covered the same way as small kids' daycare. Transport pass is also going to be paid for.

b. You can be an independent student (no MICC (immigration office), no Emploi Quebec), who pays only a registration fee of $40-60 every semester. That's all, - you don't pay for classes. Adult education centers are funded by the Quebec government. To become an independent student, choose any adult language education center that has courses convenient to you (full-time, part-time, evening) and register with them for the upcoming class.

-----------------------------
The classes start every 2-3 months, depending on how they are broken down. They continuously enroll students, no need to wait for september. Some schools (UQAM - L'Université du Québec à Montréal) have 3 sessions (levels) 11 weeks each (beginner-intermediate-advanced), some schools break every level in two and have 6 levels (beginner 1-2, intermediate 1-2, advanced 1-2), 8 weeks each (that's 48 weeks total, almost a year, versus the 33 weeks at UQAM, not sure how they correspond to each other in this sense).

Many communities in Montreal have these adult language schools, google "centre education aux adultes".

Last edited by nuala; 12-06-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:11 PM

12 posts, read 67,971 times
This will be useful for us when we move back. Thanks for posting!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:17 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
This is cool.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 36,491 times
Hey I'm wondering if there are any updates to that program. I've heard different things from different people, namely that funding is only offered if you've been on EI within the last 36 months. Emploi Quebec offers little to no information online. Thanks for posting that info by the way, I'm moving to Montreal and am really interested in taking the courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Yes, Canadian citizens can not only study for free, but in many cases also receive funding just like immigrants. Speaking of Montreal, since I know it first-hand, but most likely the same system exists in other Quebec cities/towns.

You are a Canadian citizen, born or naturalized, and have lived in Canada for any number of years.

a. You can be funded by Emploi Quebec as a person willing to live and work in Quebec and needing language training to do that. To prove that you go to a job center (CLE = Centre local d'emploi), fill out a form, get an appointment, and speak to a counsellor. You're more likely to get a green light for funding if you have never worked in Quebec. The funding varies between $150-$250 a week, depending on your previous circumstances. If you just graduated and have zero job experience anywhere in Canada, you get $150/week. If you have job experience outside Quebec, you will get $250/week. I see many people funded by Emploi Quebec - there is really little threshold to overcome: just show up for an interview and show your interest in Quebec. Emploi Quebec seems (so far) very friendly to people willing to learn the language and the culture.

If you need childcare while you are at school, the childcare is also covered by Emploi Quebec. No difference if your children are small or school age - the school daycare will be covered the same way as small kids' daycare. Transport pass is also going to be paid for.

b. You can be an independent student (no MICC (immigration office), no Emploi Quebec), who pays only a registration fee of $40-60 every semester. That's all, - you don't pay for classes. Adult education centers are funded by the Quebec government. To become an independent student, choose any adult language education center that has courses convenient to you (full-time, part-time, evening) and register with them for the upcoming class.

-----------------------------
The classes start every 2-3 months, depending on how they are broken down. They continuously enroll students, no need to wait for september. Some schools (UQAM - L'Université du Québec à Montréal) have 3 sessions (levels) 11 weeks each (beginner-intermediate-advanced), some schools break every level in two and have 6 levels (beginner 1-2, intermediate 1-2, advanced 1-2), 8 weeks each (that's 48 weeks total, almost a year, versus the 33 weeks at UQAM, not sure how they correspond to each other in this sense).

Many communities in Montreal have these adult language schools, google "centre education aux adultes".

Old 08-31-2016, 04:29 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
As a matter of fact, I was on EI when I arrived to Quebec. I am not sure though if it played that much of a role. I got into contract with EQ still, they did not pay while I was receiving my EI, and after the EQ funding kicked in.

But still, I have the impression that I could have been funded by EQ alone from the outset, just because my non-knowledge of French was a barrier for my integration into the workforce, - and the mandate of EQ is to help people of any circumstances to become employed. Whether it means language courses, or professional courses (their preference, though, will be for the shorter courses. Many colleges in Mtl have condensed 10-16 months diploma/certificate programs. They are called AEC, intensive DEC, or RAC (? Reconnaissance des acquis). Baccalaureates are less likely to be funded by EQ.

I think this is why there is not much info on the EQ site - they work with people of different circumstances, using different tools to help them. There is a lot they could do - co-op programs, mandatory internships included in the field of study, guidance on job search...

Last edited by nuala; 08-31-2016 at 04:38 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 18,125 times
I just called the Centre d'Emploi in Gatineau and being on EI is an absolute requirement to receive the funding you speak of.
I too am interested in learning French in Quebec. Recent grad, living with family in Ottawa with a background in journalism/ communications. Man, it's hard getting a job in this field without French.
Any other suggestions for someone not on EI?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aycee View Post
I just called the Centre d'Emploi in Gatineau and being on EI is an absolute requirement to receive the funding you speak of.
I too am interested in learning French in Quebec. Recent grad, living with family in Ottawa with a background in journalism/ communications. Man, it's hard getting a job in this field without French.
Any other suggestions for someone not on EI?
I doubt that living in Ottawa you'd be eligible for free Quebec government French classes in Gatineau. Even if you are on EI.

You might try the Ottawa Public Library. Or colleges like La Cité collégiale in east end Ottawa. Or Algonquin College.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 36,491 times
I want to post this information because, like I said earlier, there deliberately isn't any online by Emploi Quebec and other personal reviews are from a few years ago. They do offer financial assistance for the French course if you've been on EI in the last 3 years, There are many programs offered by EI if you've claimed in the last 3 years, though most of it deliberately is not online and you need a government case worker to assist you.

However, you need to know the lingo. Like other social assistance their priority is to find you a job, and if you show that you can't find one because you don't speak French then they can offer the course. Another deal breaker is they won't offer it if you plan on getting higher education, it's only if you're returning to the workforce indefinitely. From other reviews I've read online if you speak French somewhat they won't offer the course, it's only if you don't at all or just speak a tiny bit of French. If you've just arrived in Quebec and are interested in using this resource I would suggest exaggerating your situation: how long you've been in Quebec looking for a job, the field of work that you've progressed in, etc.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal