Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:22 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
''Canadian'' is more of a citizenship than an actual ''people'' in the sense that most people would define something like that. There is no such thing as a ''Canadian people'' unless you want to define that as everyone possessing Canadian citizenship.
Which is exactly what I was doing. Race doesn't equal linguistic heritage. This is a linguistic issue and it has nothing to do with race.

Lefty07, the original poster, used the term racist to characterise the attitudes of some Anglophones/Allophones/English Canadians towards Francophones/"French people". The use of the term racist is inappropriate here and its misuse in this type of situation really irks me. The last time I checked, native speakers of the French language come in all colours. The same goes for native speakers of the English language. This isn't about race; it's about language.

Last edited by maclock; 12-09-2013 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Which is exactly what I was doing. Race doesn't equal linguistic heritage. This is a linguistic issue and it has nothing to do with race.

Lefty07, the original poster, used the term racist to characterise the attitudes of some Anglophones/Allophones/English Canadians towards Francophones/"French people". The use of the term racist is inappropriate here and its misuse in this type of situation really irks me. The last time I checked, native speakers of the French language come in all colours. The same goes for native speakers of the English language. This isn't about race; it's about language.
I noted that as well. Strictly speaking you are right but in the modern era most people's definition has evolved towards this nastiness towards any easily identifiable group, which French Canadians (in comparison to other Canadians) very clearly are. And think of how often Quebec's language laws like Bill 101 (which are strictly language-specific and totally "colour-blind") are referred to as "racist".

In any event, we are splitting hairs. There are quite few English-speaking Canadians who are intolerant of francophones and their language, or "francophobic", as there are francophones who are "anglophobic".

Neither is a particularly laudable human trait to have.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Would "English Canadians" work as a cultural designation?
It works in the sense that when you use that appellation I and most other people would know exactly who you are talking about.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 AM

18 posts, read 27,296 times
Sorry if I inappropriately used the term "racist" - maybe "hateful" was more appropriate - but I meant that the negative comments I'd read seem to have more "heat" in them than just being against a language - they seemed somewhat directed at the people who speak the language too. Just my observation and impression, as an outsider. If it was wrong, I stand corrected.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty07 View Post
Sorry if I inappropriately used the term "racist" - maybe "hateful" was more appropriate - but I meant that the negative comments I'd read seem to have more "heat" in them than just being against a language - they seemed somewhat directed at the people who speak the language too. Just my observation and impression, as an outsider. If it was wrong, I stand corrected.
You are bang-on. And I say that as a member of the identifiable group on the receiving end of the venom.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
And think of how often Quebec's language laws like Bill 101 (which are strictly language-specific and totally "colour-blind") are referred to as "racist".
Your right, I think "Hateful", "Intolerant", "backwards" or "fascist" might be btter words to describe bill 101.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Your right, I think "Hateful", "Intolerant", "backwards" or "fascist" might be btter words to describe bill 101.
Lefty07 - Exhibit A for you!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Lefty07 - Exhibit A for you!
While urbanluis definition of bill101 might be a bit over the top i view it as a silly piece of legislation that artificially props up a culture that would evidently cease to exist without it?..
Lefty whats your take on the Quebec governments new proposed 'Charter of Values'?
In a nutshell its the banning of any overt religious symbolism such as Kippas,Hijabs, turbans and religious jewelry in public sector jobs eg; all government institution jobs ,all schools,all hospitals ,http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/quebe...ange-1.1458292

Last edited by jambo101; 12-09-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Something like bill 101 should have no place in a free society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While urbanluis definition of bill101 might be a bit over the top
Bill 101 is over the top.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Something like bill 101 should have no place in a free society.

Bill 101 is over the top.
You are right, Luis not sure what i was thinking as i got all wrapt up in trying to be tactful.
Theres no place for garbage like Bill101 in a modern free society, If your culture cant stand on its own merits and strength of culture let it die of its own mediocrity rather than inflict endless rules and regulations on everyone else in an attempt to artificially keep it afloat..

Last edited by jambo101; 12-09-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal