Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 89,978 times

Advertisements

Bonjour/Hello!

If anyone can answer my questions, I would be very grateful...

Has anyone moved from Ontario to Montreal, Quebec?

If so, what did you need to do to be considered a resident of Quebec and/or how long did it take before you were considered a resident?

I am disabled and live on a limited income - do landlords have a problem with this? I have good references.

My recent google-searches reveal: how to be a student or, how to immigrate from other countries.
Since I am Canadian-born (in Ontario) and definitely not a student, this hasn't answered my queries!

Any information or advice would be very helpful.

Merci/thank you, everyone.

- wordy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
The most important thing is probably the waiting period to qualify for universal medicare coverage (RAMQ) which is three months. In French this is referred to as a délai de carence.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:48 AM

Thank you, Acajack.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:34 PM

127 posts, read 269,051 times
as a Canadian citizen you don't have to worry about the legal side of this issue .
for Healthcare:
How to register*| RAMQ
driving licence

For driving licence:
New Residents of Québec and Holders of a Driver's Licence Issued Outside Québec | Driver's Licence | SAAQ

Now regarding housing ,if your income is low you may have to provide a co-signer to have a lease, you may not have to provide anything if your rent is clearly below your income .
i suggest that you rent a room in month to month basis where you can move in as soon as you pay the first month, settle and get all your new Quebec papers done and then try to find something better .

Room rentals:
Room rental Greater Montréal. Roommates Greater Montréal. Furnished, unfurnished, male, female, shared rooms for rent on Kijiji.ca

Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Thank you Jazzz.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 PM

12 posts, read 84,902 times
I've lived her for 4 years, not worth it if you don't speak French, plus the racism out here will make your head spin. Stay where you are, trust me! And if you're disable, good luck travelling, Montreal isn't up to date with helping the disabled. I live at Vendome and there are no elevators, only stairs.

To become a resident and get medical care, you have to wait 12 months minimum. It's not 3, trust me on that, I've tried.
Plus, if you have any outstanding debts with Ontario, you can't become a Quebec resident.

So, rent is cheap, it doesn't matter. Stay where you are....

Old 09-08-2013, 06:07 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
What planet do people live on where they don't realize that fluency in French is actually a necessity to long-term life in Quebec? The days of being a unilingual Anglophone are fading. I'm from Vancouver originally, one of the furthest places geographically and culturally from Montreal, and even *I* knew that before moving here. People act shocked when their life here sucks because they don't know French. Really? I'm more shocked this was a surprise to them.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lina_mae View Post
To become a resident and get medical care, you have to wait 12 months minimum. It's not 3, trust me on that, I've tried.
Plus, if you have any outstanding debts with Ontario, you can't become a Quebec resident.
It's tough to make so many factual errors in such a short reply, trust me on that, I've tried!

#1 Regarding health insurance:

Quote #1 (source)
Quote:
What if I am leaving Ontario permanently to move to another Canadian province or territory?

If you are an insured resident moving permanently to another part of Canada, you should apply for health insurance coverage in your new province or territory as soon as possible. Your Ontario health insurance coverage will remain in effect until the last day of the second full month after you establish residence in your new location. You can obtain health insurance coverage from only one province or territory at any time. Your new province or territory will notify ServiceOntario when you apply for your new health insurance coverage.
Quote #2 (source)

Quote:
Persons taking up residence in Québec

Persons arriving from another province to take up residence in Québec become eligible for the Québec Health Insurance Plan when they cease to be covered by the plan of their province of origin. For as long as they remain covered by the health insurance plan of their former province, they must present their health insurance card of that province when receiving healthcare from a doctor in Québec. The health insurance plan of their former province will cover the cost. However, if the Québec doctor does not accept that card, they will have to pay the doctor's fee and then apply for a refund with the organization administering the health insurance plan of their province of origin. Usually, coverage under the Québec plan begins on the first day of the third month following the month of arrival in Québec.
Conclusion = OP would be covered by OHIP for the first 2 months, and would then be covered by the RAMQ.

#2 Debts and residency

Where does this obviously false "rule" come from? You're aware that many Quebec residents have outstanding debts with banks or other companies based in Ontario, right?

Reality check: Provincial tax authorities love new residents because by default, residents are taxed on their world income, while non-residents are only taxed on the income earned in that province. Revenu Québec is well aware of that fact (they're also aware of the fact that Quebec has the highest personal tax rates in Canada).

Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post

#2 Debts and residency

Where does this obviously false "rule" come from? You're aware that many Quebec residents have outstanding debts with banks or other companies based in Ontario, right?

Reality check: Provincial tax authorities love new residents because by default, residents are taxed on their world income, while non-residents are only taxed on the income earned in that province. Revenu Québec is well aware of that fact (they're also aware of the fact that Quebec has the highest personal tax rates in Canada).
Oh, yeah. I was gonna say. There are no restrictions AT ALL on persons moving between provinces in Canada.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 84,902 times
Look, I don't want to fight with anybody while on here. I only expressed what I went through out here. The information about getting a medicare card and becoming a resident was given to me by the Senior Manager at Concordia University Financial Aid Office.

ok, done....

Seriously, is this what city forum is, a place where strangers attack strangers?

I am dealing with a situation and I was told that city forum is the place to go for answers.. WRONG!
Within my first post I was called a liar, insulted, belittled all because I was looking for help and or solutions with my problem.

I done with this place.

Talk wordy to me, good luck with your move to Montreal.

Peace out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal