Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsen View Post
All road signs in Quebec are in French...
Yes but except for place names 99% are pictograms anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM

247 posts, read 526,356 times
Learn to speak a few key French phrases and you'll get by just fine.

Also want to emphasize the previous post about road signs; they can mess you up. Learn the French phrases for each compass direction, and look online for the common road signs. Also, if parking in the city, learn the days of the week so you don't get a ticket. I keep a handy little booklet with me with this info and more.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 PM

90 posts, read 361,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
Learn to speak a few key French phrases and you'll get by just fine.

Also want to emphasize the previous post about road signs; they can mess you up. Learn the French phrases for each compass direction, and look online for the common road signs. Also, if parking in the city, learn the days of the week so you don't get a ticket. I keep a handy little booklet with me with this info and more.
Compass directions are easy. Days of the week aren't too different from Spanish, which I studied in high school. (The Spanish actually helps me to get the gist of a lot of things in print, since a lot of words have the same Latin root, though obviously this is useless for pronunciation.) In general, I try to be a "sponge" when I see signage in a foreign language, and either figure out or look up what it means. I've done that on past trips to Canada, thanks to the bilingual signage, food labeling, etc.

With that said, I have a buddy who teaches French at a college here in L.A., and he noted after a visit to Montreal that he couldn't understand the accent. So I'm not setting the bar too high in terms of understanding people. Hopefully they will realize that I am a dumb tourist and slow down.

I watched the movie Bon Cop, Bad Cop, last night, mostly because the premise amused me, but I was also hoping I might pick up a few stray French vocabulary words. I did - but let's just say they're not words I plan on using.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Once in a while even us Anglo Quebecers get thrown a curve ball..
First time i saw this one it got me wondering what was the risk referring to what the heck is Brouillard?
http://www.okiwoki.com/images/produi...d-format_2.jpg

Found out much later it was referring to fog..

Some others i've never figured out.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ecRoadSign.jpg

Old 06-24-2013, 02:58 PM

Yeah, that would definitely throw me for a loop. "Risque de Broillard?" Does that mean there's a risk of me being attacked by that octopus-looking thing? Or does that mean the octopus is scantily dressed?

I would assume the sign with the trees just means you're coming up on an area of tall trees, where branches might fall on your car or something. Similar to tell "Falling Rock" sign when you're driving on mountain roads.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,142,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Once in a while even us Anglo Quebecers get thrown a curve ball..
First time i saw this one it got me wondering what was the risk referring to what the heck is Brouillard?
http://www.okiwoki.com/images/produi...d-format_2.jpg

Found out much later it was referring to fog..
Thanks for the laugh, but that's obviously not the actual sign.. Your link is to a website that sells t-shirts and videogame-based stickers. The actual MTQ "brouillard" sign shows a car going into a cloud and doesn't mention "brouillard" so you can't really ask "what the heck is brouillard"!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlough23 View Post

With that said, I have a buddy who teaches French at a college here in L.A., and he noted after a visit to Montreal that he couldn't understand the accent. So I'm not setting the bar too high in terms of understanding people. Hopefully they will realize that I am a dumb tourist and slow down.

I assume that you are talking about conversations he was overhearing, as opposed to direct exchanges he had with people. If he couldn't communicate with waiters, store staff, hotel staff, etc., then he is probably not a very good French teacher.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I assume that you are talking about conversations he was overhearing, as opposed to direct exchanges he had with people. If he couldn't communicate with waiters, store staff, hotel staff, etc., then he is probably not a very good French teacher.
It was probably just the accent, in the same sense that an English speaker might have trouble understanding a Scottish accent. Once it's slowed down enough that you can ascertain individual words, then you're fine.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Thanks for the laugh, but that's obviously not the actual sign.. Your link is to a website that sells t-shirts and videogame-based stickers. The actual MTQ "brouillard" sign shows a car going into a cloud and doesn't mention "brouillard" so you can't really ask "what the heck is brouillard"!
Maybe my link was misleading in its origin but i've seen the sign frequently posted on the Eastern townships autoroute just before the Granby exit about a mile before the old toll booth area.
As yet i havent seen the sign you mention..

Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe my link was misleading in its origin but i've seen the sign frequently posted on the Eastern townships autoroute just before the Granby exit about a mile before the old toll booth area.
As yet i havent seen the sign you mention..

This is the Quebec fog warning sign in use everywhere in the province:

http://www.signoplus.ca/images/panneaux/220/D-390.gif

The other one one you posted has a red border and looks to be from Europe or something. It is not at all consistent with signage standards used in Quebec or in Canada or the U.S. We don't use signs that look like this in Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal