Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 03:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,525,216 times

Advertisements

Looks like 2 options, Train or Drive.

How long is the commute by train versus traveling by car, not during rush hour.

I usually lean towards public transport but alot of the time it takes soooo long that its not even worth it, so i usually drive but doing than i have to worry about parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Looks like 2 options, Train or Drive.

How long is the commute by train versus traveling by car, not during rush hour.

I usually lean towards public transport but alot of the time it takes soooo long that its not even worth it, so i usually drive but doing than i have to worry about parking.
I've never taken that particular line, but I can tell you that my instinct is that the train would be faster. There's been a lot of construction on the bridges and they're always horribly congested form the south shore and Candiac's a far drive from the bridges anyways because the river is too wide there to build one. Commuter trains in Montreal are not slow, they have their own right of way, not too many stops, and will take you right into the heart of downtown, so I think the train would make sense.

EDIT: Just checked the schedules on their websites, looks like the ride from Candiac to Lucien L'Allier actually takes 40 minutes, a bit longer then I thought, but maybe worth it as I don't know that it would be much faster by car.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 03-24-2013 at 04:48 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,142,379 times
Don't think I've ever done either but I know Montreal fairly well.

Candiac - Downtown by car will take around 20 minutes without traffic, during rush hour you can easily double or triple that.

The train schedule says it takes 40 minutes, my guess is it's fairly accurate. However as it's a commuter train, your options will be limited outside rush hour -- their schedule says trains leave Candiac for downtown every 30 minutes from 6-9 AM, then there's one more at 10:30 AM, and the last one is at 1:20 PM. Your options for the return trip would be similar, i.e. 9:30 AM, 12:20 PM, every 30 minutes from 3:30-6:30 PM and then nothing after that.

I'd say if you plan to commute outside rush hour you're probably better off driving. If you're in town for sightseeing you can catch some nice views of the city from A-15 too.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Thanks, we'll just take the car the day we shop and take the train the other times.

Can you take bicycles on the train?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Thanks, we'll just take the car the day we shop and take the train the other times.

Can you take bicycles on the train?

Complicated answer, so I'm copy pasting from the website:

"On weekdays, bicycle transport is permitted outside of rush hours and only in the non-peak direction. On weekends and holidays, you can bring your bicycle aboard any time, but do check the schedule to find out what trains you can use and at which times."

If it's problematic to bring the bikes, Montreal is the city that invented bike sharing systems and there's thus a very extensive system of bike sharing stations that might be a convenient and affordable alternative for you:

https://montreal.bixi.com/

Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM

Thanks

I still have to call to make sure i can get into the country, hopefully if i can ill be there this summer or fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal