Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 AM

11 posts, read 15,680 times

Advertisements

Hello / bonjour

I'm looking at moving to Montréal in the next few months, to work on a TWP firstly, then bring my family out at the beginning of the summer. I'll ask about french speaking schools in another post!

Am I deranged in thinking I can get a 3 bedroom apartment/condo/whatever in Outrement/Jarry for 1500CAD a month? I have a couple of friends who came out to Montréal from France last year, and they appear to have done it, but I'm not seeing anything decent on kijiji at all. I appreciate that most leases change hands in June, but I need to understand if my figures are in the ballpark at all!

Why have I asked about these two sections of the city? Because although my wife and I are English, we've been in France since 2000 and our children are naturally bilingual, so I'd like to keep that talent alive by enrolling them in French speaking schools, hence Outrement and Jarry (close to Stanislas I think)

Anyway, all and any responses gratefully received... any recommendations about other 'nice' neighbourhoods would be welcomed. We have spent the last 12 years in cultural wilderness, so something close to theatres, cinemas, culture, parks would be interesting.

Cheers
Leigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Outremont rents come in all shapes and sizes ,you should be able to get a 3 bedroom apt for $1500 a month.
https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp=...iw=853&bih=510
Usually in Montreal a 3 bedroom Apartment is refered to as a 5 and 1/2 meaning 3 bedrooms,a kitchen,a living room and a bathroom. and although July 1 is a major moving day and many leases start on that day its not necessarily a hard and fast rule.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 AM

11 posts, read 15,680 times
Default Thank you

Hi Jambo

thanks for that link, I'd been struggling with kijiji before.

best regards

leigh

Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Most people probably use Craigslist Montreal for everything, Kijiji is a bit small by comparison..
craigslist: montreal classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
Hello, can someone tell us , we are canadians, but because of family issues, been living in mexico city for a few years, now we want to come back to canada, and we want to live in Montreal, is it nice ?, i mean, is it a lot of racism ?, we speak very little french, but willing to learn it, and we want to find a Job, is it easy to find a job ?, is it very expensive to live here ? I thank anyone that can give us some info, is just me and my daughter. thanks again

Old 04-12-2013, 01:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbif_ccnp View Post
Hello / bonjour

I'm looking at moving to Montréal in the next few months, to work on a TWP firstly, then bring my family out at the beginning of the summer. I'll ask about french speaking schools in another post!

Am I deranged in thinking I can get a 3 bedroom apartment/condo/whatever in Outrement/Jarry for 1500CAD a month? I have a couple of friends who came out to Montréal from France last year, and they appear to have done it, but I'm not seeing anything decent on kijiji at all. I appreciate that most leases change hands in June, but I need to understand if my figures are in the ballpark at all!

Why have I asked about these two sections of the city? Because although my wife and I are English, we've been in France since 2000 and our children are naturally bilingual, so I'd like to keep that talent alive by enrolling them in French speaking schools, hence Outrement and Jarry (close to Stanislas I think)

Anyway, all and any responses gratefully received... any recommendations about other 'nice' neighbourhoods would be welcomed. We have spent the last 12 years in cultural wilderness, so something close to theatres, cinemas, culture, parks would be interesting.

Cheers
Leigh
No matter here you move to in Montreal, the kids will be exposed to lots of French. There are French schools in every neighbourhood. You should have no problem finding a three bedroom for $1500. Whichever neighbourhood you move to, try to make sure it's near a Metro (subway) station if possible. Parking downtown is a nightmare if you want to go to the theatre, a hockey game or to one of our many festivals. Everything is just a short ride away by subway.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estredelara View Post
Hello, can someone tell us , we are canadians, but because of family issues, been living in mexico city for a few years, now we want to come back to canada, and we want to live in Montreal, is it nice ?, i mean, is it a lot of racism ?, we speak very little french, but willing to learn it, and we want to find a Job, is it easy to find a job ?, is it very expensive to live here ? I thank anyone that can give us some info, is just me and my daughter. thanks again
Montreal is FABULOUS!
That being said, it will be difficult to find work without speaking French. What kind of work are you looking for?
What kind of racism? Against black, hispanic, anglophone? Montreal is far less racist than other places I've lived in. Unless you're English.
No, it's not expensive to live here.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:23 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estredelara View Post
Montreal is wonderful. As for racism, not really but it's different from elsewhere in Canada. I'd say there is some elements of xenophobia in Quebec, but not really racism. Race has never really been an important category in Quebec, we've fought over language, culture, class, and religion, but never race. If someone of a different race or background tries to become a part of a community, race will be much less of a barrier then most anywhere else. People are curious about other cultures, but have a strong sense of who they are that sometimes necessitates more integration. The government offers free French courses for immigrants and interprovincial migrants, so that should help. It is not expensive to live, real estate and cost of living is much less then in other Canadian cities. The job market is average, not super easy like in Alberta, but not hard like in the Maritimes. It's comparable to finding a job in Toronto these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal