Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,115,216 times

Advertisements

I have read that Quebec is the most heavily indebted of the Canadian provinces. I find it fascinating that the government of Quebec pays departments full of bureaucrats to enforce such unnecessary laws. They must be taking lessons from the tax and spend bureaucrats in Washington, DC.

All of these figures about how important Wal-Mart and other big box stores are to the Quebec economy is just hogwash. If these big box stores left, or had never come in the first place, would people be buying fewer televisions and toilet paper? People would be buying the same amount of everything; the dollars would be distributed differently, probably to smaller chains and mom and pop businesses. They say people would be saving money, but I don't think they would be saving much when it is added up on a yearly basis as Montreal is a big city with many stores and discounters to choose from. If I were to stay away from Wal-Mart for a year, I am sure I could find the same items at pretty much the same prices at other retailers. Big box stores don't add to the economy, they just redistribute who gets the dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I have read that Quebec is the most heavily indebted of the Canadian provinces. I find it fascinating that the government of Quebec pays departments full of bureaucrats to enforce such unnecessary laws. They must be taking lessons from the tax and spend bureaucrats in Washington, DC.

All of these figures about how important Wal-Mart and other big box stores are to the Quebec economy is just hogwash. If these big box stores left, or had never come in the first place, would people be buying fewer televisions and toilet paper? People would be buying the same amount of everything; the dollars would be distributed differently, probably to smaller chains and mom and pop businesses. They say people would be saving money, but I don't think they would be saving much when it is added up on a yearly basis as Montreal is a big city with many stores and discounters to choose from. If I were to stay away from Wal-Mart for a year, I am sure I could find the same items at pretty much the same prices at other retailers. Big box stores don't add to the economy, they just redistribute who gets the dollars.
Unlike Washington DC, Quebec's looking at a budget surplus this year, with that extra cash going towards paying down the debt. So i'd say it's doing quite a bit better than DC. Heck, even Alberta's going to have a deficit this year (although I guess they can afford it having almost no provincial debt, can't criticise too much).

Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,142,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Yeah I'm sure that office is a huge drag on Quebec finances. Health care makes up 50% of the budget and education is another 25%.. the Office de la langue française? 0.03%.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,592,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So who caves in on this battle of the heavy weights..
Stores may leave over language laws: Expert | Canada | News | The London Free Press
I doubt they'd leave if told to conform but gee is it that important to the PQ to have these companies change or add to their names to a more French flavor knowing that theres a risk maybe they would leave?.

You will be assimilated,resistance is futile,you must comply..
I could care less if every single American big box store up and left Niagara. I almost NEVER shop at them and in my opinion they all suck big time. Not one of them has anything you can't get at a Canadian retailer. If I have to pay 50 freakin cents more for an item well that should be some kind of crushing blow I suppose. As far as them threatening to leave Quebec over some language issues!!!!! Go ahead, make our day.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,865,542 times
What Canadian retailer? Giant Tiger (home of overpriced pure junk and unhealthy junk food)? Zellers, rip-off store with surly employees that wasn't even Canadian-owned anyway and is going out of business? Where, pray tell, do you buy things at a Canadian retailer? LW is owned by Big Lots. Or do you drive to the Superstore in St. Catharines? I've never been but I hear it's expensive. Where else do you shop then?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
What Canadian retailer? Giant Tiger (home of overpriced pure junk and unhealthy junk food)? Zellers, rip-off store with surly employees that wasn't even Canadian-owned anyway and is going out of business? Where, pray tell, do you buy things at a Canadian retailer? LW is owned by Big Lots. Or do you drive to the Superstore in St. Catharines? I've never been but I hear it's expensive. Where else do you shop then?
Canadian retail is nothing to write home about but honestly I do not find that the presence of the big Americans here like Wal-Mart or others has really improved things significantly. Prices are still quite a bit higher in Canada and there is no tangible difference in service between a Canadian Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire, or between a Canadian Home Depot and Rona.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Bottom line I think that most people in Quebec, except for those who work there, don't really care if these chains stay or go. If the rules for doing business here are that unacceptable to them, then don't let the door hit you... you know the story.

There is more to life than having retail chain X or not in your city or province.

Quebec doesn't have Chuck E. Cheese either. Not a big deal.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 PM

All I know is the prices at Wal-Mart in Canada are pretty decent, they bag my items for me and I don't get nickel and dimed for shopping bags. The stores are also clean, well organized and have a good selection of products. Don't get me wrong, I strongly disagree with some of the business practices of Wal-Mart but they have definitely improved the Canadian retail scene.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,592,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
I shop at Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, Zhers, Shoppers Drug Mart and others. There is no lack of local Canadian owned stores to supply me with the things I require. Now, it may help you to understand a little better if I told you that I'm not a "Shopper" in the modern day understanding of that term. I don't Shop. I never wander around a mall or a store looking for something to buy. That's todays idea of shopping. Rather I go to a specific store for a specific item I want. It even gets worse than that. I do that only after I have been unable to find a used one on line. Many of the thousand dollar items I have purchased in the last 5 years I have found on Kigigi for under $200 and many times under $100.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Well, let's see.... Home Hardware is an okay store, but usually outrageously expensive. If I'm buying a faucet, doorknob, wire, etc. I can get it 30% to 50% cheaper at Lowes or Home Depot, especially if I buy it at the U.S. location of those stores. Looked at a basic bathroom faucet and I can get one for under $30 at Lowes... more like $50 at Home Hardware. I see Home Hardware as a quick local hardware store to grab something in a pinch. Sometimes they have good sales, but those are rare. Check out their paint prices and tell me they're not overpriced. You can get it cheaper at the actual paint stores.

Zehrs is way overrated. Have you ever been to Wegmans in NY State? Compare Wegmans with Zehrs... on just about anything. Why wouldn't I just drive across the border to shop at a much, much nicer store? Shopping at Aldi, Price Rite, and Wegmans in NYS saves me about 50% on my grocery bill. I still buy most of my produce and staples (rice, bread, etc.) in Canada at Freshco because their prices can't be beat. Produce at Freshco is usually cheaper than even the deep discounters in the U.S. like Aldi or Price Rite. Zehrs produce prices are sky high and don't get me started on the packaged goods (cake mixes, hot sauces, peanut butter, etc.) which are absurdly expensive. They even charge for each shopping bag even though their prices are sky high! I don't mind paying for bags at Freshco or Food Basics because the prices are lower. Freshco just opened a new one on Lundy's Lane. It's very nice, big, and clean. You should really check it out. Zehrs and Sobeys are really only worth shopping the flyers.. the regular prices are way too high.

I agree buying used items on Kijiji is the way to go, especially to avoid the 13% HST. We buy and sell on Kijiji quite frequently. Sometimes though I have to look in Toronto or Buffalo for things because this area is just too small and selection isn't the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal