Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 04:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Well! I thought Montreal was "Le Paris du America"!
Mostly what you think of Montreal from your Mississippi perspective is totally at odds with the reality of actually being in Montreal.
Some may take offense at the inference that Montreal is the Paris du America,a saying that i've never heard a Canadian or Quebec resident use but "Le Paris de L'Amerique du Nord" might be better terminology if you wanted to equate Montreal with Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,827,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Mostly what you think of Montreal from your Mississippi perspective is totally at odds with the reality of actually being in Montreal.
Some may take offense at the inference that Montreal is the Paris du America,a saying that i've never heard a Canadian or Quebec resident use but "Le Paris de L'Amerique du Nord" might be better terminology if you wanted to equate Montreal with Paris.

Pardon my French!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Pardon my French!
In case you haven't noticed Language Is a really big deal up here ..

Last edited by jambo101; 09-05-2012 at 12:18 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 AM

14 posts, read 30,503 times
Default Hip

Montreal has the lowest rents & 2 English universities & 2 French universities. Places with low rents attract creative "starving" artists & musicians. Take for example Arcade Fire. These types hang out in Mile End in the area off avenue du Parc north of Montreal, amongst the old Greek community & Hassidic Jewish, Portuguese and the growing Latin Anerican community. Throw in a down to earth Leonard Cohen and tons of independent grocers

Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananeyvrsyd33 View Post
Montreal has the lowest rents & 2 English universities & 2 French universities. Places with low rents attract creative "starving" artists & musicians. Take for example Arcade Fire. These types hang out in Mile End in the area off avenue du Parc north of Montreal, amongst the old Greek community & Hassidic Jewish, Portuguese and the growing Latin Anerican community. Throw in a down to earth Leonard Cohen and tons of independent grocers
Yeah, but there's more to Montreal then Mile End/Le Plateau. Although the service sector is the biggest sector of the economy, there's still a big manufacturing sector and we've got a ton of poorer, working class neighbourhoods like Verdun, Lachine, Parc Extension, St. Leonard, Montreal Nord, most of St. Laurent, and plenty of other neighbourhoods. I just don't want OP thinking most of the city looks like Mile End, when to be honest most of it is these dense old working class urban neighbourhoods that aren't gentrified and where non-transient populations just live and work.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 PM

179 posts, read 831,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yeah, but there's more to Montreal then Mile End/Le Plateau. Although the service sector is the biggest sector of the economy, there's still a big manufacturing sector and we've got a ton of poorer, working class neighbourhoods like Verdun, Lachine, Parc Extension, St. Leonard, Montreal Nord, most of St. Laurent, and plenty of other neighbourhoods. I just don't want OP thinking most of the city looks like Mile End, when to be honest most of it is these dense old working class urban neighbourhoods that aren't gentrified and where non-transient populations just live and work.
The only areas I would avoid are Montreal-Nord and St. Leonard.

I lived in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve for a while and other than it being somewhat trashy and having a boring architecture, I never found it dangerous.

Bimbam, what's your opinion on Côte-des-neiges? I'm moving back to Montréal with my wife in a few months and we're considering this neighbourhood, but I hardly ever went to this part of town.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Oh, it's a very pleasant middle class neighbourhood with a range of housing types and some great stuff in the neighbourhood! The hood is mostly Jewish, but still multi-cultural. I'd recommend it. AS for those other neighbourhoods, I know they're not dangerous (except Montreal Nord) and I wasn't trying to imply that. I was just trying to emphasize that Montreal isn't just a city of hipsters, outside the Plateau it's just mostly regular long time Montrealers working and living their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal