Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 AM

179 posts, read 831,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
What I find interesting about Montreal is the rent can be so cheap there but the cost of houses are much more high and expensive. Like rent in Montreal is cheaper than most cities half it's size. You can get a one bedroom apartment for $800/month near the downtown. Yet the houses are much more expensive there to buy. I can't find any home under 100k in Montreal even well outside it's city proper. Then again, the prices are still very low considering it is the third largest city in Canada.
Second
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:32 AM

311 posts, read 1,139,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Second
Sorry, Second I meant!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
What I find interesting about Montreal is the rent can be so cheap there but the cost of houses are much more high and expensive. Like rent in Montreal is cheaper than most cities half it's size. You can get a one bedroom apartment for $800/month near the downtown. Yet the houses are much more expensive there to buy. I can't find any home under 100k in Montreal even well outside it's city proper. Then again, the prices are still very low considering it is the third largest city in Canada.
Where in Canada can a person get a house for under 100 thousand dollars?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Where in Canada can a person get a house for under 100 thousand dollars?
Out of the bigger cities, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Maybe Quebec City. Smaller cities such as Regina, Saskatoon, Windsor, Halifax and all of the cities in the martimes and Atlantic Canada basically. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Montreal is an expensive city to live in by no means, I think it has an amazing cost of living being the second largest city in Canada. I'm just saying it has quite a big and unusual gap between rent and housing prices. This situation is kind of similar to Vancouver. Except Vancouver's cost is much, much higher than Montreal in both situations.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,574,694 times
Wait a second--is Montreal the second or third largest city in Canada?

As someone whose first visit to such a fabulous city was in 1975 (anybody remember the Sheraton Laurentien Hotel?), I had no problems whatsoever in communicating with anybody, since English is indeed the universal language of commerce and everything else.

The wealth of cultural joys throughout Montreal is limitless, and it's a fantastic city if you enjoy walking.

The architecture is also wonderful; if you ever saw the 2001 film 'The Score' with Robert DeNiro, Edward Norton & Marlon Brando, the scenery in that film is just a taste of what Montreal has to offer, particularly the 'Old Montreal' part of the city east of downtown.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Like they said, second largest. And Montreal has changed alot since 1975, when it was the largest city in the country. It is not as bilingual as it was, and to say English is the universal language of everything would be perceived as pretty arrogant.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Wait a second--is Montreal the second or third largest city in Canada?
It's Second

Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM

239 posts, read 596,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Like they said, second largest. And Montreal has changed alot since 1975, when it was the largest city in the country. It is not as bilingual as it was, and to say English is the universal language of everything would be perceived as pretty arrogant.
I wouldn't call it arrogant. English IS the world language. I speak four languages and have been to the furthest corners of the world and back. In almost every country you visit, tourism signs will be in the local language and English. Heck, in Thailand, they even have an English- language tourist police.

And I've met dozens of people from all language groups, and most of them speak English when communicating.

I recognize the value of learning new languages and experiencing new cultures. That said, like it or not, English is becoming the world language.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmied View Post
I'll probably be moving to Montreal around May or June 2012, from England.
Its now November, how'd that move turn out?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:34 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
I wouldn't call it arrogant. English IS the world language. I speak four languages and have been to the furthest corners of the world and back. In almost every country you visit, tourism signs will be in the local language and English. Heck, in Thailand, they even have an English- language tourist police.

And I've met dozens of people from all language groups, and most of them speak English when communicating.

I recognize the value of learning new languages and experiencing new cultures. That said, like it or not, English is becoming the world language.
What he meant was that it was not the universal language of everything *locally* everywhere in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal