Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 18,941 times

Advertisements

i live in the u.s. in florida and i want to become a canadian citizen so i can be with my boyfriend (im gay) and it's better then the u.s. but there are a lot of requirements and regulations that have to be enforced and im upset because i dont qualify as a skilled worker because the economy sucks in florida and it was hard finding full time work i just recently found a decent paying job. and i dont think i can qualify for a student visa because i was in college but i havent gone for a year because i was trying to find work because of my families financial problems. but i got fafsa to pay for my school when i did go because i had a learning disability. however my canadian friend told me that the website and application forms and other documents are all just produced as make-work projects for executives at the department of immigration. and that you can send in an application but they have no one to process them and they have nothing in place to enforce any of the crazy regulations they talk about on the website. so it isn't difficult to become a canadian citizen especially if your an american unless of course your obviously dangerous or something. is this true or not? because i keep getting conflicting opinions about it. for example my friend from taiwan who immigrated to canada was a architect in his country but hasn't worked as one in canada in the year he has been there. so can anyone give me some input please?

Last edited by adanc00; 03-07-2012 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 AM

179 posts, read 831,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanc00 View Post
i live in the u.s. in florida and i want to become a canadian citizen so i can be with my boyfriend (im gay) and it's better then the u.s. but there are a lot of requirements and regulations that have to be enforced and im upset because i dont qualify as a skilled worker because the economy sucks in florida and it was hard finding full time work i just recently found a decent paying job. and i dont think i can qualify for a student visa because i was in college but i havent gone for a year because i was trying to find work because of my families financial problems. but i got fafsa to pay for my school when i did go because i had a learning disability. however my canadian friend told me that the website and application forms and other documents are all just produced as make-work projects for executives at the department of immigration. and that you can send in an application but they have no one to process them and they have nothing in place to enforce any of the crazy regulations they talk about on the website. so it isn't difficult to become a canadian citizen especially if your an american unless of course your obviously dangerous or something. is this true or not? because i keep getting conflicting opinions about it. for example my friend from taiwan who immigrated to canada was a architect in his country but hasn't worked as one in canada in the year he has been there. so can anyone give me some input please?
Absolutely false. The Canadian government checks every single application and if you don't qualify, then don't even send it, you're just throwing money away.

Is your partner Canadian? Or American? I'm confused.

Your friend from Taiwan is not an uncommon case, many people immigrate to Canada and end up working in something totally unrelated to their profession. The Canadian Government explicitly tells you that being accepted as a skilled worker does not guarantee you a job, or that your foreign credentials will even be recognized as a matter of fact. Also Canadian employers (Just like most developed nations) place a higher value on a degree from a Canadian university than a foreign degree.

The only option I see is for you to go back to school, and get a degree in something that the Canadian government considers in demand. What about your boyfriend? If he's Canadian then you guys can get married and he can sponsor you, if not then does he have a degree? Does he qualify as a skilled worker? If so he can immigrate and you can follow him as an accompanying family member, though you guys will probably have to get married or prove you're in a common law union.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:03 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,292,329 times
Mexi is correct. I know a number of couples who sponsored their partner to come across. None of the three qualified on anything except a spousal visa - only two of the three couples were married, one was a long-term commonlaw couple. All three immigrated as spouses with the Canadian partner sponsoring them.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 18,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Absolutely false. The Canadian government checks every single application and if you don't qualify, then don't even send it, you're just throwing money away.

Is your partner Canadian? Or American? I'm confused.

Your friend from Taiwan is not an uncommon case, many people immigrate to Canada and end up working in something totally unrelated to their profession. The Canadian Government explicitly tells you that being accepted as a skilled worker does not guarantee you a job, or that your foreign credentials will even be recognized as a matter of fact. Also Canadian employers (Just like most developed nations) place a higher value on a degree from a Canadian university than a foreign degree.

The only option I see is for you to go back to school, and get a degree in something that the Canadian government considers in demand. What about your boyfriend? If he's Canadian then you guys can get married and he can sponsor you, if not then does he have a degree? Does he qualify as a skilled worker? If so he can immigrate and you can follow him as an accompanying family member, though you guys will probably have to get married or prove you're in a common law union.

Good luck!
my boyfriend is originally from china he has lived in Canada for 2 years and is attending college and graduating this month he is still in the process of gaining citizenship

Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 AM

179 posts, read 831,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanc00 View Post
my boyfriend is originally from china he has lived in Canada for 2 years and is attending college and graduating this month he is still in the process of gaining citizenship
Citizenship? or permanent residence? You don't automatically get citizenship unless it's through birth or if you have a Canadian parent.

If he gets permanent residence then that's your way in, he can sponsor you, and the process is fairly straightforward. It would be better if you guys get married though, it's harder just with a common law relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal