Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 PM

12 posts, read 51,223 times

Advertisements

Ive always had the dream of moving to montreal since i was 16 i even have two pictures of montreal in my room. I love quebec and canada. But im 30 now and i wonder if it still realistic if i move there. I dont have any kids or a wife, i speak spanish, but i only know un petite francais, and although i am happy to learn quebec french, realistically as a 30 year old i dont think ill ever become fluent, and that will make it that much harder for me to legally get a job and support myself. I will admit i hate where i am currently living ( wash dc area) and having unsupportive/abusive family nearby definately dosent help. But ive been told if i cant speak french fluently i shouldnt even think about looking for a job in montreal. I really dont want to stay in the states and im not really interested in toronto or vancouver. But i wonder if its realistic to even attempt the move to montreal. Any advice i would appreciate. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,865,542 times
You know, you can't just pack up and move to Montreal. You need to have some sort of legal status in Canada, and if you are immigrating to Quebec you must meet their own requirements. A good starting point is the Quebec immigration website at Immigration-Québec - Home Page

If you have a college education and several years of experience in a skilled occupation, you can immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker. You must have several thousand dollars in the bank in order to do this.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Knowing English and Spanish should make learning French easier as much of the linguistics are similar.
And yes if you want to come to Canada you will have to go through the immigration process, in the mean time come on up for a vacation..
Heres a few more pages of pics of Montreal.

MONTREAL - Living in a North American Gem of a City

Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 AM

136 posts, read 581,921 times
You need visa/permanent resident in order to live in Canada.
You could stay for up to 6 months, cross the border for few days and come back, but it's not same thing.

Quebec is mainly French speaking province and therefore all signs and working language is French. So it's like living in France.

Learn French while living in Ottawa near Quebec border, or take classes now.
English speakers live in West Island, if you're lucky you could get a job.

Spanish is rarely heard or spoken anywhere in Canada, so it's not like many part of the U.S.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM

6 posts, read 37,092 times
Default why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmos View Post
Ive always had the dream of moving to montreal since i was 16 i even have two pictures of montreal in my room. I love quebec and canada. But im 30 now and i wonder if it still realistic if i move there. I dont have any kids or a wife, i speak spanish, but i only know un petite francais, and although i am happy to learn quebec french, realistically as a 30 year old i dont think ill ever become fluent, and that will make it that much harder for me to legally get a job and support myself. I will admit i hate where i am currently living ( wash dc area) and having unsupportive/abusive family nearby definately dosent help. But ive been told if i cant speak french fluently i shouldnt even think about looking for a job in montreal. I really dont want to stay in the states and im not really interested in toronto or vancouver. But i wonder if its realistic to even attempt the move to montreal. Any advice i would appreciate. Thanks
I could only say ..go for it...im moving from Croatia with my wife and 2 years old daughter. Although i have some fears about new city,people..( in my country we have a saying :it s not so gray if u have some1 to drink beer with) my decision to move to La Belle Province stand firmly like a brick .I dont know french but i just started to learn,and i totaly respect saying "when u are in Rome act like a Roman"...sry if i write some uncorect words or phrases !
Cheers all !

Old 10-22-2011, 03:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagreb View Post
.( in my country we have a saying :it s not so gray if u have some1 to drink beer with)
Great attitude.Once you settle in in Montreal let me know,i'll bring the beer eh!

Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 37,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Great attitude.Once you settle in in Montreal let me know,i'll bring the beer eh!
tnx a lot m8 but first on is on me

Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,813 times
I don't think it's so difficult to learn a new language .I'm preparing for immigrating to M city,and I'll join a French training class next year.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
30 is not very old and it's perfectly possible to learn French--the simple fact is you'll have to work at it and put in effort. Take classes now and then try to spend some time looking for Quebecois media online in order to get used to the way they speak. Look for job opportunities that might suit you.

Also, though this might be a silly question, but have you visited Montreal before? If not, then do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal