Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 AM

230 posts, read 535,952 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I'm in sort of a weird situation. I came up to the Toronto area on a NAFTA work permit from the States. There were absolutely no complications with getting the visa, thankfully. However, I applied for PR last year (spouse class) and a final decision has yet to be made.

My wife and I are now looking at other places to move to. I just interviewed for a position in Montreal and the position looks awesome, however I don't know whether it would be possible to move there considering that it might affect my PR. I don't know this for sure, though, which is why I'm asking here.

I don't foresee any problems getting another NAFTA work visa + Quebec CAQ, but will I have to reapply for PR through Quebec or something like that since they insist on having their own immigration process?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 AM

20 posts, read 69,836 times
It may impact your PR application. In the PR application form, there is a section to declare "intended province and city to live". If you choose QC, then you will need to obtain Quebec Selection Document to include in your PR application so you can get approval. In Ontario (and as far as I know in other provinces as well), there is no such requirement. I recommend you to talk to a CIC agent on the phone..

You may also like to check how long it takes to get Quebec Selection Document and how it is done (via French interview).

Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 AM

343 posts, read 1,314,039 times
I don't think you have to re-do the entire PR process but you might have to apply for CSQ. And this could take you anywhere between 2-4 months. The time line depends on your current job, future job(the CSQ process is SUPER fast if u have a job in hand and the emplyer helps in documentation), education etc.

Quebec only insists on the CSQ and after that the next stage is the federal PR processing, which is s common step for all PR applicants.

So if you plan to move to quebec before you get your PR,you will have to apply for a CSQ. After that, you will have to wait for ur PR cards(through ontario or whatever procince you applied). If your new employer is ready to assist you in this process, it will be a very easy step for you.

On a different note, how insistent are job emplyers in montreal about fluency in french?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal