Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 AM

152 posts, read 542,214 times

Advertisements

We are planning a family trip for my parents 50th anniversary next July. We are wanting to have Quebec City as "base camp", at least that was the thought. We are in the beginning of trip planning so we are wide open for suggestions. This will be for 9 people, covering 3 generations, with 3 teenagers (15-16 age). This "Griswold" family type of vacation is a blast for us, and we have travelled in Europe together.

I am looking for local or insider advice on the QC and the surrounding areas for possible day trips. Interested in teenage activities and quaint towns etc.

Off the beaten path ideas or restaurant ideas would be great. Talking about the highlights would also be great...basically what are the "must sees" & what is "take it or leave it".

Thanks so much in advance, I've always had good luck from these types of threads. Looking forward to feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Ile D'Orleans

Portrait de l'le d'Orlans (http://www.iledorleans.com/eng/portrait-de-lile-dorleans.asp - broken link)

Montmorency falls

Parc de la Chute-Montmorency - Bonjour Québec.com

The Sainte Anne D Beaupre church complex

Saint Anne de Beaupré - Canada's famous Catholic Shrine

Saguenay fjord..

saguenay fjord - Google Search

A few things to contemplate on your trip..

Old 07-25-2011, 06:16 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,142,379 times
^ That's a nice list. July is easily the best time to visit Quebec City (unless you don't like tourists, you won't be alone here!) I would add

The Charlevoix region (Tourisme Charlevoix) which is Northeast of Quebec City, past the first 3 places jambo posted and on the way to the Saguenay. Very scenic with quaint villages (Les Éboulements, Ste-Irénée) and an arty small town (Baie-Saint-Paul, a little over an hour from Quebec City).

Early July (10 days from the 1st Thursday in July) is the Festival d'été de Québec, Quebec City's music festival.
Accueil - Festival d'été de Québec

The festival is immensely popular here. Getting passes for the whole festival at the stated cost ($65) is impossible if you can't wait in line in early May, but $25 day tickets are available except for the biggest shows (this year, Elton John and Metallica were blacked out, which still left Ben Harper, Black Keys, Dropkick Murphys, Simple Plan, Martha Wainwright, Coheed and Cambria, Buddy Guy, John Fogerty, Death from Above 1979...)

There are many many restaurants for every budget in the central parts of town. Obviously depends on what you're looking for but here are some of my favorites -- SSS (Simple Snack Sympathique), Poisson d'avril, Le clocher penché, Aviatic Club, Les frères de la côte, Enzo Sushi. There are exceptions but most of the better deals (quality/price) to be had are slightly off the beaten path or in not overly touristic neighborhoods (Le clocher penché is the best example though it's by no means far away from anything else).

The Image Mill (Le moulin à images) is an impressive architectural projection (pictures, animations, movie bits) on a grain elevator in the Old Port, mostly depicting the history of Quebec City but also has stuff on all of French Canada and Hurons (First Nations present in the QC area). It's free and it runs daily Tue/Sat at dusk (so around 10 PM in July).

There's also a daily, free Cirque du Soleil show called Les chemins invisibles. I believe it changes yearly and will be in town until 2013, in an urban setting (a concrete jungle really). By all accounts it's not as impressive as 'real' Cirque du Soleil shows, which we've also had in the summer in Quebec City since 2008, but I'm not sure if those are going to be back.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,111,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
There's also a daily, free Cirque du Soleil show called Les chemins invisibles. I believe it changes yearly and will be in town until 2013, in an urban setting (a concrete jungle really). By all accounts it's not as impressive as 'real' Cirque du Soleil shows, which we've also had in the summer in Quebec City since 2008, but I'm not sure if those are going to be back.
Great list! We'll be in Quebec City in mid October. Will the daily Cirque du Soleil show run then, or is it just in the summer? We love Cirque du Soleil, so we'd also be interested in going to a bigger show too.

What's the weather like in mid October? Is it still leaf season?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 PM

24 posts, read 111,579 times
Just go walk around the basse ville and le petit champlain. Accueil | Quartier Petit Champlain
Its very nice!

Also the château Frontenac is a must see. http://braedoncanucks.edublogs.org/f...ac-1ug6r4v.jpg

Plaines of Abraham for the history of it
Welcome to the Plains of Abraham | Welcome

this is also a nice place to walk close to the river La promenade Samuel-De Champlain - Commission de la capitale nationale, monuments, fresques, ville de Québec its brand new!

La Grande allée is a nice street for the terrasse, cafés, clubs...

Old 07-27-2011, 01:44 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,142,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Great list! We'll be in Quebec City in mid October. Will the daily Cirque du Soleil show run then, or is it just in the summer? We love Cirque du Soleil, so we'd also be interested in going to a bigger show too.

What's the weather like in mid October? Is it still leaf season?
Unfortunately the Cirque du Soleil show only runs through Labor Day. Judging from past years, aside from the stray arena show at the Colisee and the daily show mentioned in my previous post, Cirque du Soleil shows have been held in July/August in temporary locales not fit for Fall/Winter.

Quebec City weather in mid-October is rather unpredictable. There are still gorgeous sunny autumn days to be had in the 10-15 C (50-60 F) range but you can also get chilly rainy crap or even snow. Leaf season should be in the later stages unless we get a particularly warm September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal