Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:46 PM

9 posts, read 49,903 times

Advertisements

so i am from a small town in ontario but i want to live and save money in montreal. Cost of living is nothing because i will be living with close relatives. I just want to save money for college and have a fresh change of pace. But i dont want to sugar coat things, i know that its hard finding a job there if you dont speak french. i literally know none. So i wan to know if any of you know of any places that would be willing to hire. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:13 AM

86 posts, read 400,855 times
Don't want to sound rude or anything, but do you think I could have gotten hired anywhere here in Mississauga if I didn't speak English? The same will go for you in Montréal.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 44,548 times
Sorry, but Quebec is French-speaking province, and it's sole only official language in French.

It's like going to France and want to find a job without being able to speak French.

Learn French ASAP from now maybe you're lucky finding something
Bienvenue!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I suppose you could give it a try for the summer if you have relatives to stay with for free ,may or may not work out but it will make for an interesting summer and it will do wonders for your motivation to learn French..

Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Learning French really isn't that hard. It will probably take you about a year of serious study to become reasonably fluent in the language. Speaking French would really help your employment prospects in Montreal.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM

65 posts, read 129,748 times
The job market for unilingual English-speakers isn't as scarce as some posters here would have you believe. Although the only viable option to progress in one's proffesion here is to speak fluent french,certain exceptions can be made on a conditional basis(I've known of a couple of them myself)

Working in telemarketing or at any Call Centre seem's to be the best option for unilingual Anglophones in Montreal or if you're willing to lower your standards you may just be able to find a job at a small business(Restaurant,Car wash...etc) in which most of the employers are native English speakers.Montreal isn't Paris and still has atleast a proportionate extent of jobs available in English given the Official minority population and Canadian influence in Montreal.

Your willingnes and commitment to learn french while vying for a job will greatly improve your chances.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
well, from my experiences, many peoples in montreal don't speak french but still found jobs especialy in ghetto mcgill... Look in english speaking neighbourhood like cdn, ndg, ville marie, cote st luc & the west island... I can assure you that i know many peoples mainly from vancouver who don't speak a single word in french found a job in montreal

Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 PM

194 posts, read 422,908 times
I don't understand either why so many on this forum insist that is impossible to get a job in Montreal if you don't speak French. Of course it is better to know both English and French, it will increase your chances to get hired but this does not mean that there is no English only job market.

You have to know where to look for the English speaking jobs. Many companies in West Island and Ville Saint Laurent function in English, and I am not talking about the small mom and pop places.

If you look for jobs on the internet simply search for jobs that are posted in English only.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM

167 posts, read 856,595 times
Being fluently bilingual is ideal. Next best, unilingual French. Next best, unilingual English. I agree, if you look around, there are jobs for people who speak only English or English with very basic French. You may have to look around, go to the West Island, or take a more menial job, as suggested, in a restaurant or car wash. And interestingly enough, the owners of those businesses are often English! Or, as suggested, an English call center.

Spend some time there, put in a good effort, and you will learn French along the way.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:15 AM

123 posts, read 332,383 times
You can find a job in Technology if you dont speak french. especially IT, Tech Startups, Tech centers near port, Telecoms etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal