Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,722 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Montreal and I would like to work in a gym as a personal trainer. I only speak English. Do you think I might be able to find something there?

p.s. I'll take a class to learn french and then speak it with people there to practice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 03:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty3300 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Montreal and I would like to work in a gym as a personal trainer. I only speak English. Do you think I might be able to find something there?

p.s. I'll take a class to learn french and then speak it with people there to practice
Its certainly possible as the two gymns i go to in Lasalle are almost totally English speaking.

http://www.prestigefitness.ca/

http://www.flexgym.ca/

Old 07-01-2014, 04:37 AM

692 posts, read 957,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its certainly possible as the two gymns i go to in Lasalle are almost totally English speaking.

Prestige Fitness Gym - LaSalle, Quebec

Flex Gym - Lasalle
If he joins an entirely english gym, he wouldn't learn French would he?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
If he joins an entirely english gym, he wouldn't learn French would he?
If he is working in an entirely English environment why does he need to learn french? Are you implying he has to learn french whether he likes it or not? why cant he just take some courses outside of work if he feels that strongly about learning french.?

Actually as the topic was started 3 years ago be nice if our op would get back to us on how things turned out,did he come here get a job and become bilingual? or did further research on the move lead him into thinking all this language bs just wasnt worth the hassle.?...

Last edited by jambo101; 07-01-2014 at 10:43 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 AM

692 posts, read 957,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If he is working in an entirely English environment why does he need to learn french? Are you implying he has to learn french whether he likes it or not? why cant he just take some courses outside of work if he feels that strongly about learning french.?

Actually as the topic was started 3 years ago be nice if our op would get back to us on how things turned out..
I mean it's usually a good idea to learn the majority language of whatever region/country/etc you're living in. God forbid you have an emergency and cannot communicate because you elected not to learn the language of the place. It certainly isn't necessary, but deciding not to learn French in Québec is rather stupid.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Most definitely agree Living in or moving to Quebec its definitely in your best interest to know French however if you are coming with no French skills at all it is possible to land some forms of employment whereby French isnt mandatory which i think was our ops concern.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,722 times
I do plan to take French courses once I move there. I'm in Montreal now and I actually have a job interview tomorrow. I made a bunch of primarily French speaking friends in the last 3 days and even went to a party where almost everyone was from France. It seems that things will work out and I'm really excited. Montreal is an amazing city. I've been in Toronto through a winter before so I know how cold it's going to get. But people are telling me that they're are still tons of stuff to do in wintertime. This city doesn't just shut down. The nightlife is still busy and there's even outdoor festivals.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,157 times
Are you people so ignorant and idiotic? speaking French fry language is not so important cause they discriminate against anyone who doesn't have a French last name and why would you come to a third world country with potholes. I am born here and I don t speak it whether you do or not won t give you a high wage many jobs who ask you if you are fluently or perfectly bilingual will pay you 10.00$ and hour or 12$hr My friend recently got hired from an agency who needed 60 English REPS in MOntreal! He is making 16$ an hour! So you don t need French fry language just eat a lot of poutine for Vampire Slayer 1

Old 07-20-2015, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireSlayer1 View Post
so i am from a small town in ontario but i want to live and save money in montreal. Cost of living is nothing because i will be living with close relatives. I just want to save money for college and have a fresh change of pace. But i dont want to sugar coat things, i know that its hard finding a job there if you dont speak french. i literally know none. So i wan to know if any of you know of any places that would be willing to hire. Thanks
I would suggest you go back to Ontario because Quebec is the absolute worst province in the whole country of Canada. There are plenty of beggars and poor people here. I think it's because it's absolutely impossible for you to get a job here without French. And don't worry you're not alone. All those beggars are just like you. They all have that little cardboard thing written in English. You're super lucky you have a house in Ontario. Good Luck.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAmerican View Post
Don't want to sound rude or anything, but do you think I could have gotten hired anywhere here in Mississauga if I didn't speak English? The same will go for you in Montréal.
You are kind of rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal