Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 38,411 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband've got an offer from Mcgill University as postdoc researcher. They offer him CAD$30k/year (I know it is super low ). We have 1 years old daughter.

I would like to ask whether it is enough for a family like us? (we are from China)
How many kind of taxes do we need to pay? and how many percent?
As I know, federal tax (for lower 35K/year) will be 15%, and no Quebec tax for postdoc. Is it right?

And, how about Health Insurance (or Social Insurance)?

Really really need your help.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 12:04 PM

65 posts, read 157,362 times
I think within that salary bracket, he will probably receive a tax return. In other words, at that level, he will receive tax money back instead of paying outright. This depends on your potential revenue of course. 30,000$ is awfully low pay for postdoctoral work it would seem. He could be washing windows 4 days a week and earn as much. He should negotiate for more, period. Ask for more, if they want him bad enough, they will dish out. Their rectors are paid incredibly high salaries and perks, they should spread the wealth around instead...

Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 PM

7 posts, read 38,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post
I think within that salary bracket, he will probably receive a tax return. In other words, at that level, he will receive tax money back instead of paying outright. This depends on your potential revenue of course. 30,000$ is awfully low pay for postdoctoral work it would seem. He could be washing windows 4 days a week and earn as much. He should negotiate for more, period. Ask for more, if they want him bad enough, they will dish out. Their rectors are paid incredibly high salaries and perks, they should spread the wealth around instead...

Thank you so much. Your information is really helpful. We will consider it carefully.

How about the Health Insurance (or Social Insurance)? how much do we need to pay?

Thanks

Old 05-29-2011, 10:19 AM

65 posts, read 157,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giluy View Post
Thank you so much. Your information is really helpful. We will consider it carefully.

How about the Health Insurance (or Social Insurance)? how much do we need to pay?

Thanks
I hope someone can tell you more about this, because social(?) employment insurance and maybe health insurance are deducted from your paycheck. But again, it depends on the kind of collective health insurance plan McGill employees have. So your family would be covered by your husbands plan for dental care (depending on revenue) and medication. Medical care is universal in all canadian provinces and you do not pay for hospital and clinic visits if you are a received immigrant. Your husband has to find out what the insurance plan covers. If an employer doesnt have a collective health insurance, you have to pay for it. Maybe 500 to 800$ per family(?), but I dont know much about this either. I suspect your husbad's employer will have a collective insurance coverage though. Keep in mind that all the major anglo hospitals in Montreal are affiliated to McGill university as teaching hospitals, so I think that there are big advantages to being employed by that university in any function.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post
I hope someone can tell you more about this, because social(?) employment insurance and maybe health insurance are deducted from your paycheck. But again, it depends on the kind of collective health insurance plan McGill employees have. So your family would be covered by your husbands plan for dental care (depending on revenue) and medication. Medical care is universal in all canadian provinces and you do not pay for hospital and clinic visits if you are a received immigrant. Your husband has to find out what the insurance plan covers. If an employer doesnt have a collective health insurance, you have to pay for it. Maybe 500 to 800$ per family(?), but I dont know much about this either. I suspect your husbad's employer will have a collective insurance coverage though. Keep in mind that all the major anglo hospitals in Montreal are affiliated to McGill university as teaching hospitals, so I think that there are big advantages to being employed by that university in any function.
Well, sure they're all affiliated, but I can't really think of how you'd get any advantages from that, they provide the same services to everyone.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 PM

20 posts, read 69,843 times
I came to Canada at the beginning of 2006. When I had my first professional job, I started with 36K/year plus 5K bonus. I used to live in Toronto at that time.. As far as I remember, I used to get 1100 -1200 per bi-weekly. It was not really easy living in Toronto even though I rented a small room.. There was even a time that I had to spend fifteen days with fifty dollars in my pocket.

What I like about Montreal is that you can have housing way cheaper than any of the major cities in Canada. For 1 bedroom, I think you can adjust your budget from 450-700 per month depending on area. Your budget probably will be tight. You may prefer cooking at home all the time. So make sure you choose your grocery store wisely.. For instance, where I used to live, there was two grocery stores 20 meter away from each other. One was Provigo and the other one was PA (This is at St Catherine west for those who know Montreal). Provigo was 2-3 times more expensive than PA for fruits and vegetables and it was still full of customers. So make sure you buy your goods from a cheap place rather than shiny big grocery markets.

I've never been to a hospital whether in QC or anywhere in Canada. So I can't comment on health care. But, as far as I know, you won't be covered for the first three months. There is a waiting period for everyone coming to the province. Once you are covered, you are covered except dental care. Mcgill university, as your employer, may cover your dental care up to a certain amount per year.. Maybe 1000, maybe 1500, maybe 2000$ coverable.. It is completely their policy. You said you have a 1 year old daughter.. I hope you will be taking care of her. Because in Canada child care is expensive, and even if there is government subsidized child care in Quebec, I heard that they have a big waiting list.. (example: A couple registered their baby when she is born and she is no 4 years old and still on the waiting list - true story but maybe you can get lucky).

What else? If you need to buy furniture or something like this, try to find them from garage sales, Kijiji site or salvation army stores. If you need something new and want to buy it from -lets say Canadian Tire-, make sure you follow weekly flyers. There are plenty of good discounts on these flyers. I think I saved a thousand dollars last year alone. Try not to buy anything new at its original retail price from big retailers.. There is always a discount somewhere.

Now I live in Ottawa.. Before Ottawa, I lived in Montreal and Toronto... Montreal is way cheaper to live than those cities.. But with this salary, you need to learn your way faster than usual... And If I knew what I wrote you above at the beginning, I think I would have saved much more that I have ever saved

Good luck with your journey.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 PM

22 posts, read 196,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giluy View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband've got an offer from Mcgill University as postdoc researcher. They offer him CAD$30k/year (I know it is super low ). We have 1 years old daughter.

I would like to ask whether it is enough for a family like us? (we are from China)
How many kind of taxes do we need to pay? and how many percent?
As I know, federal tax (for lower 35K/year) will be 15%, and no Quebec tax for postdoc. Is it right?

And, how about Health Insurance (or Social Insurance)?

Really really need your help.

Thank you.
If it is not too late I suggest you see Cost of living in Montreal and determine for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal