Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 03:59 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,213,864 times

Advertisements

Toro Park is a very nice community. I sometimes joke with friends that you get a free dog when you buy a home there because so many families have dogs and frequently walk them on the trail system adjacent to the neighborhood. If you have a dog or plan on getting one, that would be a super easy way to make friends. I went to a couple garage sales there a year ago and the people seem friendly. I am sure it would be a 45 minute commute to Watsonville, but not absolutely certain. The restaurant in the neighborhood, Angelino's is decent, too. There is also Toro Park Cafe on Hwy 68, which I have heard has very good breakfasts.

Unfortunately, it is too small to have its own full service grocery store, but there is a 7-11 for when you just need a carton of milk or maybe some beer, chips and soda. It has a Redbox video kiosk for convenient movie rental, too.

Otherwise, you will do your bulk grocery shopping in south Salinas approx 6 or 7 miles north at Nob Hill, Star Market or Save Mart. You will also find some additional good restaurants in south Salinas and downtown as well.

This is a good family neighborhood and there is also easy access to Monterey for day trips on the weekend (about 12 miles west on Hwy 68). Homes will be pricier than both Charlotte and Cincinnati, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I just walked around downtown Watsonville. It's not even America. I was the only white person and didn't hear much English. It was
Full of dumpy stores selling $15 jeans and cowboy hats and brides dresses. It didn't feel unsafe though.

If the poster likes diversity it's not here. You have two choices of dinner. Chain American crap like mcdonalds or gross Mexican food. You would probably find your neighbors unwelcoming being the culture clash and language barrier. And your children will suffer sluggish education because many classmates don't speak English.

Why has no one recommended Monterey itself? Not that I don't agree with Aptos being a good first choice, with access to dance and entertainment in Santa Cruz. But Monterey has all that too and it's a good drive to Watsonville. Not bad traffic and about 20 minutes.

I think it depends if you want more upscale like Monterey and surrounding or a bit of surfer grunge like Santa Cruz. Since for many of your daily need those will be the towns you spend time in.

I think this should be more about which of those towns do you want to live closer to. You're not going to live in Watsonville. Trust me on that.
The north side of Watsonvile along the Green Valley Road area is probably the best residential neighborhood in that city and has excellent access to shopping, dining and a movie theater. The coast is about four or so miles west. A majority of people in that neighborhood will speak English, too. Monterey will be at least a good thirty minutes to Watsonville. You have to drive through the one lane section of Hwy 1 in the Moss Landing area before it goes back to multiple lanes again just south of Watsonville. (If it were multiple lane for the entire drive, then maybe it would be twenty minutes). Monterey, Capitola and Aptos are all great choices if you can find something in your price range.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:36 PM

You should also check out neighborhoods in the town of Marina. It is about ten miles north of Monterey. It should be more affordable than Monterey proper, but Monterey would still be nearby. From there your commute should be 15-20 minutes into Watsonville. Cal State Monterey Bay is just a few miles south of the town. The fishing village of Moss Landing would also be nearby (about 6 miles north) with some quality dining choices like Whole Enchilada, Phil's Fish Market and Lemongrass Thai restaurant. There are some antique shops as well.

I also believe Marina has a good dance program, too, right in town. Other posters, please correct me if that is wrong.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 PM

128 posts, read 328,080 times
I like Toro Park area but looks like it may be allergy hell there. Lots of grass on both sides

Old 12-30-2013, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,458 times
Did he get the job?

Old 12-30-2013, 04:05 PM

17,645 posts, read 22,685,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
You should also check out neighborhoods in the town of Marina. It is about ten miles north of Monterey. It should be more affordable than Monterey proper, but Monterey would still be nearby. From there your commute should be 15-20 minutes into Watsonville. Cal State Monterey Bay is just a few miles south of the town. The fishing village of Moss Landing would also be nearby (about 6 miles north) with some quality dining choices like Whole Enchilada, Phil's Fish Market and Lemongrass Thai restaurant. There are some antique shops as well.

I also believe Marina has a good dance program, too, right in town. Other posters, please correct me if that is wrong.

Used to have country dancing at Mortimers & the "American Legion"......

Old 01-01-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
Morgan Hill and Gilroy are both nice places. Lots of open space and warm weather. However, that commute on Hecker Pass is not for everyone. It is way windy and has claimed many lives (although in my opinion a way better commute than the Highway 17).
The alternate route from Gilroy to Watsonville would be 101 south to 129 west.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM

643 posts, read 919,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The alternate route from Gilroy to Watsonville would be 101 south to 129 west.
what a waste of time

Old 02-01-2014, 02:48 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoqueencity View Post
I know that the house I have now in Charlotte would probably be around 1.5 mil in California, if not more (and thus out of our monetary capabilities).
You cannot make that generalization as prices vary a great deal depending on location. That would be true for Carmel but definitely not true for Watsonville. There are many nice areas in California where you can buy a very nice large home for $300-400K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County