Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 6,953 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. My husband and I are planning to move to the CA coast and start a pizza resturant. We were originally thinking of heading down to Cayucos but it's a super small town and there's some stiff competition.

We've started to shift gears towards Monterey. We've always enjoyed our time there when visiting. We are in our late 20s/early 30s and have been living in the SF Bay Area for years. We're ready to make the move to some place a little less bustling with a small town feel and settle down for awhile. However, we are still (for a lack of a better word) pretty hip and we don't want to live anywhere stuffy. I was hoping to get some local input:

- Is the vibe there as touristy as it seems or can you get off the beaten path to cool neighborhoods with a truly local feel?

- What are the distinctions between the areas/neighborhoods and any defining subcultures?

- Most importantly: In your opinion is the area ready for another pizza place? We're thinking less hole in the wall, more resturant/pub. Dine-in & Delivery. Pizza, Panini's, Salads, Local Beer & Wine maybe even delish espresso in the AM? Is there a place for that sort of thing there or is the market saturated?

I am heading down to Monterey tomorrow and hope to do some exploring. I would love suggestions of areas to check out and of course your FAVORITE pizza places so i can stop by and grab a pie...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,027,772 times
Go here first: Apizza Scholls
and beg the owner/pizza maker to teach you how to make pizza. Offer him 10% of your net for the first year, if you have to.
No other pizza west of the Mississippi comes close.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,977,612 times
Its hard to find good pizza in a california for a fair price. The best pizza joint I found went out of business, Upper Crust pizza in Redondo bch. Before that my old favorite was from bowling alley's on Air Force bases ... lots of cheese! I think one can grow a pizza biz if the do it right. This Dominos and Papa Johns stuff just don't cut it but when they sell any large pizza for $10 it makes it challenging but not impossible.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,702,022 times
The last thing Monterey needs is a cookie cutter pizza company. Gianni's Pizza seems to be doing well after all these years. Round Table pizza is also a popular pizza with the locals, as well as the Pelican's Pizza. Mountain's Mike was also a popular pizza joint back then, but again... another cookie cutter restaurant. I think what Monterey really needs is a restaurant that produces good quality pizza at the right price, and a dining experience. You're facing some stiff competition in a not so big city so you'll have to distinguish yourself from the rest.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,267,862 times
You'll be out of business and bankrupt in 3 months.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,732,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Round Table pizza is also a popular pizza with the locals
I like Round Table too. Too bad they are having their own problems. Round Table Pizza declares bankruptcy

Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,702,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I like Round Table too. Too bad they are having their own problems. Round Table Pizza declares bankruptcy
Geez. They are lucky that the 355 franchise establishments are helping them keep afloat.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:02 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,267,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
That's odd, I wonder how they ran into financial problems? Their pizza is pretty good for a chain place.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 6,953 times
Majin -

Was that supposed to be insightful or were you just being negative?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,362,118 times
I'll be in Castroville for the artichoke fest this may. WIll swing by
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County