Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 37,431 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a position in Hollister CA, but we are not interested in living in Hollister. Monterey or Carmel is more interesting and have better schools. The drive time by Google is 51 minutes but is there much traffic travelling east in the am? Other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 PM

35 posts, read 81,737 times
Default Drive Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveco View Post
I am looking at a position in Hollister CA, but we are not interested in living in Hollister. Monterey or Carmel is more interesting and have better schools. The drive time by Google is 51 minutes but is there much traffic travelling east in the am? Other suggestions?

It'll take you about 40 to 45 minutes. Traffic is generally fairly light in the summer and busy during the school season. I commute from Hollister to Monterey daily.

You must be aware of the housing market in Monterey/PG? And hopefully you know of the differences in weather (sunny/warm vs cool/overcast).

Best of luck with your move and in your new position.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM

Yeah the weather is probably the biggest issue (we are coming from Tn - hot in the summer). Housing ugh, we'll just have to swallow. Do you know anything about Morgan Hill, that is another choice we are thinking of as we found one elementary school there that looked pretty good. And the commute from Morgan to Hollister looks doable.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:29 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,732,275 times
Morgan Hill to Hollister commute would be easier and shorter than going to and from Monterey. Going from Hollister to Monterey involves going on a two-lane highway over a mountain pass (Hecker Pass). Housing in Morgan Hill should be cheaper than in Monterey and Pacific Grove. There are lots of new houses going up in the Morgan Hill/Gilroy area. The weather is also sunnier and warmer there (80's - low 90's, low humidity in the summer). The coast is usually cool, windy and foggy most of the time during the summer.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:38 PM

My mistake!! The route from Hollister to Monterey is going west on Hwy 156 to US 101 and get back on 156 at Prunedale and continue west to Hwy 1. This is a much better route than the one I gave in the last post, although some of it is 2-lane highway. I have taken both routes in the past.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:02 PM

889 posts, read 3,119,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Morgan Hill to Hollister commute would be easier and shorter than going to and from Monterey. Going from Hollister to Monterey involves going on a two-lane highway over a mountain pass (Hecker Pass). Housing in Morgan Hill should be cheaper than in Monterey and Pacific Grove. There are lots of new houses going up in the Morgan Hill/Gilroy area. The weather is also sunnier and warmer there (80's - low 90's, low humidity in the summer). The coast is usually cool, windy and foggy most of the time during the summer.
I agree Morgan Hill would be a better choice. Its warmer, closer ans less expensive.Monterey is close enough to go there on the weekends if you feel the urge to be in Monterey and close to the beach etc.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 AM

Default Morgan Hill

Thanks for the responses. Not being from CA, we are a little nervous on the gang issues etc. Is this an issue in Morgan hill? I am guessing the Monterey is less of an issue. What is the trend in Morgan hill? There appears to be one elementary school that looks good but the middle and high schools don't look that great?? Any comments would be helpful

Old 07-25-2007, 12:49 PM

I haven't heard too much about gangs in the Morgan Hill area. MH, Gilroy and Hollister are farming areas (but not for long before the farms go away to be replaced by more housing and shopping). There are migrant farm laborers in the area. This is also true along the coast in Watsonville, Salinas, etc. All in all, Morgan Hill is a nice middle class town and about an hour drive to the ocean. (Take your kids to the Santa Cruz beach and boardwalk which has an 100 year old amusement park and pier. A little tacky for some but kids love it. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk - Millions of Memories at California's Beachfront Amusement Park)

Old 08-02-2007, 02:42 PM

215 posts, read 977,237 times
HUH...what gangs in Morgan Hill? Haven't seen any here.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:45 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,444,413 times
Gangs are not really a problem. They usually just shoot each other. They don't bother Anglos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County