Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:19 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times

Advertisements

While living in Dallas last year, I made my first trip here to Montana to visit a friend who is more like a brother. We went to high school together and his kids are more like nieces and nephews to me. Due to his residence in Butte, I always kept an eye out in this forum, posting in it periodically.

I moved to Chicago from Dallas in August. During the move and transition, my father passed away. I won't go into all the details but lets just say things fell apart and I had to abandon my Chicago plans at the risk of being homeless. Now, here I am in Butte, MT starting a new life(The good news is i'm a non-Californian transplant, that counts for something right?).

I don't see many threads on Butte and I know the general consensus on Butte is a big thumbs down, but I'm just curious as to how many posters on here reside in Butte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 06:55 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
I don't live in Butte but I've been there a number of times. I love towns like Butte and Wallace Idaho, they are "museums" I just wish the Mexican restaurant there didn't put peanut butter in the food they serve, really gross ! I heard that the tap water in Butte isn't very good but I've never tasted it or seen any test results on it, just hearsay for what that's worth !

Old 10-03-2008, 11:19 AM

139 posts, read 472,713 times
I will soon be joining the rank and file of Butte residents. I'm going to transfer to Montana Tech. I have one question, having never lived there, what are Butte residents called? I'm a Havrenite now, but what will I be? A Butter? A Butteian, Buttenite? Setting aside the connotations, is there any good way to address a resident of Butte?

Old 10-03-2008, 03:19 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech72 View Post
I will soon be joining the rank and file of Butte residents. I'm going to transfer to Montana Tech. I have one question, having never lived there, what are Butte residents called? I'm a Havrenite now, but what will I be? A Butter? A Butteian, Buttenite? Setting aside the connotations, is there any good way to address a resident of Butte?
When I lived in MT, we called most Butte residents "Irishmen", and the rest we called "Russians".

Old 10-03-2008, 06:10 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,741 times
When we are in town we usually shop at 3 bears or walmart and everone is very friendly. Went into the fireplace store by the forest service office and the owner was very nice and had great customer service skills.

So I don't think you have to worry about how to
approach the residents.
We had a great music fest in July and it went very good from what I could tell.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:17 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
It's always a "Butte T Full" day in Butte,

No matter what the weather is like !

Old 10-05-2008, 05:40 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
It's always a "Butte T Full" day in Butte,

No matter what the weather is like !
Thats was just bad. *throws tomato and hisses*

There are prettier areas in Montana, but my experience here as been pleasant thus far. I don't plan on staying in Butte forever, but I hope that I can manage here for a couple of years or more. I will say, I find the people in Montana to be the nicest people i've ever been around, Butte being no exception.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 PM

49 posts, read 138,729 times
jetmech, You shall be a "Buttian." Our son graduated from MT - he absolutely loved it all four years. Now, it is similar to Bisbee, AZ (have you ever been there?) or Jerome, AZ? It is full of eclectic, old hippies, retired academics from the university and lots and lots of people who live off the government. The downtown is gorgeous. People are SO friendly. Every single time we went to visit our son was AWESOME. If you need a lead on a super clean, super great rental, message me here and I'll give it to you. By the way, our son graduated with honors and found the Seattle market more than welcoming to him in his engineering field because of the reputation of MT. As far as the tap water, yes, DO NOT DRINK IT. However, you could say that in about what, 80% of cities and towns? It is cold. I know you know that, but even for Montana standards, Butte is cold and stays that way until April at least. There is a reason Kalispell, Missoula, grows and Butte stays small! Brrr. But is IS so gorgeous.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 PM

49 posts, read 138,729 times
Ohyes, I forgot. The An Ri Ra Irish festival yearly is the BEST. Pretty rowdy Irish place. Now this is from a Scot lass who doesn't even drink (our son didn't either) and WE had a marvelous time. The best in music, Irish dancing, etc. I may never live in Butte but during the years we had the pleasure of flying in there to visit our son, our whole family LOST OUR HEARTS to Butte, MT. The people are so dear! Go to the Irish store downtown too! Ah, don't forget Evel Knievel Days.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 21,883 times
I live in Butte and go to Montana Tech.
The tap water is fine. Tech is a GREAT school if you are an engineering student. Especially if you are going for petroleum engineering. It's also got a great nursing program. Otherwise it is less than great.

The people are nice. It's a small town. Butte does have a huge drinking and methamphetamine problem though. I am working in Substance Abuse and I have tons to keep me busy here. As a result of this combined with the lack of anything to do (outside of outdoorsey stuff) if you have teens, many of them drink constantly and there really is no recourse for it.

Otherwise it does have a very nice historic uptown and tons of outdoorsy stuff to do. But it is definitely a stagnant town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana