Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:06 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,684,375 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 10,964 times
Montana is the Last Best Place. We want to keep it that way. People will come here. Just dont tell us how to live and that we cant hunt,fish or trap. Dont tell us that we cant leave our dogs outside in the winter or that we have to blanket our horses. It is survival of the fittest. Dont destroy our forsests because they are beautiful and you want to buy up a mining claim and build on it,then put up your stupid signs and crippling fences. The big game are moving out, all because of people. It takes food off our table. Yes, we hunt to put meat on our table. You dont like it? tuff

Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,076,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtspadebit View Post
Dont tell us that we cant leave our dogs outside in the winter or that we have to blanket our horses. It is survival of the fittest.
Sorry I don't care who you are and how long you have lived in Montana. If I ever saw someones dog or horses not being tended to properly I would do something about it.
It is the "survival of the fittest" part of your post in reference to you keeping dogs and horses out-side that bothers me. Do you have horses ? Do you fence them in ?
You may hunt, (I doubt that !) but I think you are grossly misinformed about the big game issue. You are blaming Californians for something that should be blamed on wolf population increases.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,945,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Who wants to be the best Jedi?
dang and you all thought i was bad lol

Old 09-21-2009, 07:27 AM

6 posts, read 13,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Hey Giftshopguy...............Right on ! You put it right into perspective.

Don't count the people count the houses and measure the sprawl. I kind of gave up a couple years ago, I just gave inside and said "who gives a grap anymore" to myself, but it keeps resurfacing, I keep wondering why are we doing this to our valley, and the hipocracy of it all, the public and political sentiment always is touting the "Quality of life", "control growth".....but their actions are in complete contrast.
It suddenly dawned on me one day, how with very few exceptions all our problems a exemplified with growth, that are a direct result of growth. Doing something about growth would go a long long way into solveing those problems.
If the community does nothing else it should STOP encouraging growth, if you want to take it a step farther, the community with support of the local government adopts as an unwritten policy, that simply states......"that we as a community are filled to the brim with growth, we are having trouble dealing with it, we love you all and would like you all to come here and be our neighbors BUT we just can handle it anymore"
But the almight buck, the mother milk of politics will never alow that to happen, so we are perfectly willing to see our whole area and way of life go down the crapper for the "love of money".
And don't tell me the stuff about it's jobs, we had jobs before, abeit our ups and downs. So what is the point of bring in jobs if people from out of state come in to take them, in escense there is just more competition for the locals to face getting those jobs, AND in many cases the tech jobs that do come are fill by out of staters because the out of state people are coming in from places like Seatlle or Calif were they could and did in fact acguire the needed skills, leaving our local folks in many instances at a distinct disadvantage when applying for those jobs.
Then we acutally pay companies to come here ( I won't mention any names ) they bring in $8 dollar jobs (not saying some don't make more), so all an $8, $10 hour job does is quaify a mother for welfare. These low paying jobs, typicaly retail, attract a certain amount of people to take them and linger here, so we got lots of people coming here and packing the valleys and all they get is a low paying job, they bunk up with others sharing rentals, etc. what is the point ? Well the 'growth people' love it, build more cheap rentals, lots of people banging nails, nail bankers mostly from out of state and the vicious cycle continues, eating up our valley and our way of life, great, what a brilliant bunch we are, not to mention our local leaders, who are just all in bed (figuratively speaking) with the developer types.
So there you have it, the houses are creeping up and over the hills like a cancer on the landscape.
You know people leave Calif, Florida, where ever to come here because want to get away from the crowds and problems there, they're ticked off about where they live, But then they don't understand why we get ticked off when they come here to crowd us.
It's true people are free and can do and move where ever they want. But do you really have to stand right next to me and breath down my neck, have a little respect for other people's space and way of life.
I like, I'm sure alot of other Montanas really do like people and don't care where they are from, and we are welcoming, but you just can't blame people when they get ticked because they get the distinct feeling that someone is breathing down their back. If we are ticked don't blame us, blame yourself
Hello, I'm from Minnesota and we have the same problems here. I propose that any welfare is withheld until 5 years of residency in a state. Believe me. They would think twice before moving to your state then when they have to make a living and be a resident before asking for help. The problem we have here is Chicago ghetto people are moving in by gross and bringing their violent/drug culture that we, the "nice" Minnesotans are not prepared for. My town of Duluth has had 6 shootings/killings this year as compared to practically none in ten years. And those are only the ones I know about in my own neighborhood. It is sad. I hear the women talking and they come here and their men send cash from drug dealings in Illinois until they get settled in with their children on welfare... then the men move in and start selling here. Technically it is illegal for men to then move in on a welfare mom but no one catches them!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,173,151 times
Turns out that Chouteau County actually DOES have some regulations designed to limit and discourage growth, to keep urban sprawl from devouring farmland, and to keep agriculture intact.

Read about 'em here:
development regulations (http://www.co.chouteau.mt.us/development_regs.htm - broken link)
and
http://www.co.chouteau.mt.us/CountyDev%20Reg.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,173,151 times
Here's an interesting resource/book on the phenomenon of "redevelopment" and what it really means financially and for taxpayers:

Redevelopment: The Unknown Government, TOC

While it focuses on California, it should serve as a warning to any city, in ANY state, that starts thinking about "redevelopment".

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM

216 posts, read 641,463 times
The next time I see someone call themselves a "native" Montanan, I'm going to say "Oh really? What tribe?"

If you aren't an American Indian, you ain't a Montanan native. Period.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
The next time I see someone call themselves a "native" Montanan, I'm going to say "Oh really? What tribe?"

Once again this comes up I see, who exactly was here BEFORE the "supposed" native americans? Which tribe did the 1st,2nd,3rd tribes force out,kill or assimilate?
Superiority complexes suck on both sides of an argument don't they???

Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,589,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post

I have to take issue with this statement. To be Native means you were born here. Period.

If you wish to get technical, there is a lot of evidence that the Clovis people who predate the Folsum peoples in North America were in fact from Europe not Siberia.

There is also a lot of archiological evidence that the Aborigines from Austrailia also had a population in South America prior to the Siberian tribes moving into North America and migrating South.

The "Native Americans" would be more properly identified as Aboriginal or perhaps Mongoloid Americans vs Caucasian American or whatever hyphenation you wish to put in there, they just got here sooner than the latest European migration that started in 1492. (Yes I am aware of Cuchlainin and Leif Erikson, but their colonies didn't last).

I am 100% Native American and Native Montanan. I also have some American Indian blood in the background as well. It doesn't mean a flipping thing except I was born here and so am Native to this country and State.

This politically correct term is just another wedge issue to divide people. I feel we are better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana