Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,172,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Heh heh, I like that idea... reminds me of those immortal words,
Q: Why did you rob banks?
A: Because that’s where the money was kept!
Or how about this: when you come to a new town, you only get to spend what average folks in that town spend for the same stuff. No more outbidding the locals just because you CAN.

Dang, you'd think more folks would like our sort of economics.

Haha..
Perhaps an exchange, like when you convert money to foreign currency...

So if you move from a more expensive area with jobs that average 80-100K to a not as expensive area with jobs that average 30-50K your money isn't worth as much, and you are put on par with the locals, or vice versa.
If you move to a more expensive area with higher paying jobs from the latter, your money is worth a bit more to keep you on par with the locals in that area.
Sounds fair to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,181,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Haha..

So if you move from a more expensive area with jobs that average 80-100K to a not as expensive area with jobs that average 30-50K your money isn't worth as much, and you are put on par with the locals, or vice versa.
If you move to a more expensive area with higher paying jobs from the latter, your money is worth a bit more to keep you on par with the locals in that area.
Sounds fair to me...
Where your relative wealth stays the same, rather than becoming inflated just because you moved to somewhere with smaller absolute numbers. Yep, it'd be more fair to the local folks, tho the new imports would scream bloody murder.

And it really does become a form of inflation for the local folks, cuz once the imports run prices up (which means nothing to them because they can still pay), the locals' money doesn't go as far and even if you have enough of it, it won't buy as much as it did before. Which means that now you've got a new poor class that didn't exist before the imports brought in all that new money.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:06 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,383,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Haha..

Sounds fair to me...
Thank you for your advice. I am buying a trailer in the $30 to $50K salary area and applying for citizenship as a "local". I will also rent an apartment in the $80 to $100K area and let everyone know I am a "newcomer". I think I can survive financially in this new world you guys created. Happy Fourth of July.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 AM

305 posts, read 870,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
And it really does become a form of inflation for the local folks, cuz once the imports run prices up (which means nothing to them because they can still pay), the locals' money doesn't go as far and even if you have enough of it, it won't buy as much as it did before. Which means that now you've got a new poor class that didn't exist before the imports brought in all that new money.
Isn't it the local folks who originally anyway are selling to the imports though? Some local folks must be doing okay or not complaining anyway that they got their hands on some of the import's money!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:44 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,181,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2007 View Post
Isn't it the local folks who originally anyway are selling to the imports though? Some local folks must be doing okay or not complaining anyway that they got their hands on some of the import's money!
A very FEW local folks. Not everyone owns property that is attractive to newcomers (most of whom won't even consider a "used" house) or more to the point, attractive to developers. And like we've discussed here before, you can't really blame someone who's farmed or ranched all his life and has nothing to show for it and can't afford to retire... but that one-shot gain becomes everyone else's loss.

And from what I've seen, what most often happens is that some development corporation comes in and buys up the farmland, then resells it for McRanches. So the majority of the money doesn't even wind up in the original owner's pocket.

Either way, it's profit for one person but a loss for everyone else. And it's a lot like the poor mentality of if you have a chicken, you kill and eat the chicken and get just one good meal out of it... instead of the thrifty mentality of keep the chicken, but eat eggs every day.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:10 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,098,079 times
Quote:
Yeah, they got some of the imports money. In most cases, just long enough to pay off their years of debt and back taxes. A lot of the ranches have been taxed out of existance. It's either sell some now, or loose all of it next year.

Have you ever been to Montana?

Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Have you ever been to Montana?
Yeah, I've been there. In fact I live there.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:34 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,240,971 times
Bottom line is nobody has to check in with anyone if they want to move to Montana or anywhere else in this country for that matter. I encourage anyone to move where they want, it's a free country.

Not everyone that moves somewhere is a bad person, or looking to ruin their new state, and coming from a California native the California stereotypes get so old. People move from other places, not just here in California. And many that moved from California were not even originally from here.

People move from all over the country, and if some of you that complain and think you own the state you live in were from places that had very expensive housing you would also look to move somewhere that offered you a better chance to build a future for yourself. And it certainly wouldn't make you a bad person, it would make you human.

So on this 4th of July I say to anyone looking to move to Montana or anywhere to do what's best for you and your family, don't worry about the complaining you read on this forum. You don't need anyone's permission to go where you need to go.

And last but not least I imagine Montana is a beautiful state.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:56 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,098,079 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've been there. In fact I live there.
I'm sorry, I just thought that most people have seen the fact that places that have been in the family for generations are being sold off because of taxes and the economy of late. A lot of those folks don't want to sell, but have no choice. And as long as they're going to sell, they're darn sure going to sell to the highest bidder.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'm sorry, I just thought that most people have seen the fact that places that have been in the family for generations are being sold off because of taxes and the economy of late. A lot of those folks don't want to sell, but have no choice. And as long as they're going to sell, they're darn sure going to sell to the highest bidder.
I personally don't know anyone or have friends/family that have been in the situation you describe. That's because I don't live in a place where that is happening yet.

Now, I can read about it and hear about it but since I don't live in a part of Montana that has experienced the "McRanches" yet my comments weren't directed specifically at ranches/farms. My comments were directed at people selling their houses in the smaller towns - since that is where I live. House prices had stayed pretty low until people got wind of new comers to the area and then all of a sudden those prices sky-rocketed. Why not? I can't blame them and any of us would have done the same thing, but I don't think they raised their prices to pay for past taxes or the economy. They raised their prices because they knew people were coming in that could pay more. Does this hurt the local person who is trying to buy a house? Sure it does. They aren't making anymore than they were but now they only have higher priced houses on the market to choose from.

The people moving into the area would have gladly paid less for their house but that's not what the market was demanding. My point was that it was the local people who were selling that raised the prices. I'm sure the case is different with the selling of farms/ranches but like I said, that's not where I'm coming from since I'm not as familiar with that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana