Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:29 PM

462 posts, read 1,708,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gressler View Post
Hi There!

I'm coming back to my roots - I was born and raised in Butte and left for a number of years to pursue my education and work experience. I've got to say that even here in Nevada, we heard all about the "Boom" in Montana. Being ever-protective of my beloved home state, I shuddered every time I heard about it being "Californicated". It was sad to hear that my family members can no longer hunt or fish on the very grounds my grandfather taught them on years ago. The land has been bought up. That being said, my husband & I will be coming back to MT soon. We will be moving to Whitehall. Does anyone have some input or thoughts on people moving to Whitehall? My case is a little different - as we are moving in to property that has been in my family for decades. Don't be afraid to express yourselves. The greed and avarice that we are exposed to here CAN be stopped at the Montana border! Protect Montana!!
I've lived in Whitehall for 4 1/2 yrs and before that was in Silver Star and Waterloo for an additional 5 yrs. I love this valley although Whitehall was never my first choice of where I wanted to live, just where I was finally able to find a great place to buy with a few acres and a house outside of town. I go into town every day (5 miles from here) and it's a quiet but fairly self contained little town. Since I still bank in Twin Bridges I don't actually know very many Whitehall people although I met quite a few when I spent a little time working at the local newspaper when the new owner bought it.

I've never heard anyone in Whitehall bad mouth people moving in from other areas. This area is still lots of ranching and people work hard for what they have. The gold mine is still in operation although not for much longer...end of 2008 I believe. The town went through a bad depressed era after the mine closed the first time and there were lots of homes for sale as people fled the area to find jobs elsewhere. Now there is little to no inventory of homes for sale especially with any acreage. Many people have been moving over this way from the Bozeman area getting away from the crowds and moving back to the country again. They are commuting to Bozeman or Butte to jobs and it hasn't made much of a difference to locals except I think it's helped some of the local economy as some business seem to be doing very well in Whitehall.

Gold West, I have been wondering what happened to the campground at Pipestone. I drive past on my way to Butte every week and it's just sitting there so forlorn looking with no one paying it any attention. Aren't the new owners going to open it for camping again? You used to keep it looking so nice and now it's all overgrown with weeds. I hope they will get it going again.

I believe the grievances of most on this board, pertaining to outsiders moving to the state are from those living in the Bitteroot and Missoula area. That area has been hit hard with people moving in from out of state and same goes now for Bozeman. It is always a problem, I think, for college towns which bring people in from all over and when they like what they see, they want to move there permanently. The thing is, as many people move into the state, almost as many are moving out so it seems to even itself out. The population of the state is still less than a million hence we still only have one congressman!!!

Now, all that said, as much as I love this area and where I live, I am one of the ones looking to relocate out of the state. I'm selling my little spread here in Whitehall and heading to Oregon...if all goes well. I'm starting to feel like I need to move back to a little milder winter climate and also I miss steelhead fishing so as soon as I sell my little piece of paradise I'm gone.

Good luck to all you moving to new environs. This area is a great place to raise kids and the school here isn't bad either. You are within close proximity to Butte and Bozeman for major shopping and get to enjoy the peace and quiet of life in the country without all the hassles that go along with big city living.

Shelly 393 I don't know what's been going on with Borden's of late. When I first moved here it was alive and well and then it abruptly closed. Then it reopened on a lease type thing and quickly closed again. Since then, a few other little restaurants have opened, the Legion Street Grill just down the block and across the street, LN's cafe. Then down at the other end of town, a chinese restaurant which does darn good food for SW Montana!!! (their cooks come from San Francisco so they do a terrific job)...anyway, I think what the Borden's spot needs is someone who really knows what they are doing and provides a good product to the area. I know the girls at the grill are doing a good business. Borden's used to be a good breakfast and lunch spot and with the little movie theater having films on weekends and sometimes mid week in the summer, we need good places to eat. If you know what you're doing, go for it!

Good luck everyone whatever you decide to do.

LFF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 06:36 PM

35 posts, read 208,367 times
Quote:
Gold West, I have been wondering what happened to the campground at Pipestone. I drive past on my way to Butte every week and it's just sitting there so forlorn looking with no one paying it any attention. Aren't the new owners going to open it for camping again? You used to keep it looking so nice and now it's all overgrown with weeds. I hope they will get it going again.
Northwestern Energy bought the place! We didn't know until the last minute. They say it will never be open as a campground again. They may some day put about 5 houses there. How Sad.I can't stand to go by the place either.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:47 AM

462 posts, read 1,708,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold west View Post
Northwestern Energy bought the place! We didn't know until the last minute. They say it will never be open as a campground again. They may some day put about 5 houses there. How Sad.I can't stand to go by the place either.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Oh Great!! Well, maybe Northwestern Energy will buy my place and turn it into a campground (kidding) I think it filled a niche that was much needed having a campground in that area right off the interstate. It seemed to always be full in the summertime...wasn't it? That's too bad.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 15,485 times
Thank you sooo much for your reply on Bordons. I am looking forward to comming in and making it a happening place again. We are good people with good ideas and and can do ANYTHING we set our mind to and succeed. Thanks again, Shelly393

Old 11-18-2007, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gressler View Post
Hi There!

I'm coming back to my roots - I was born and raised in Butte and left for a number of years to pursue my education and work experience. I've got to say that even here in Nevada, we heard all about the "Boom" in Montana. Being ever-protective of my beloved home state, I shuddered every time I heard about it being "Californicated". It was sad to hear that my family members can no longer hunt or fish on the very grounds my grandfather taught them on years ago. The land has been bought up. That being said, my husband & I will be coming back to MT soon. We will be moving to Whitehall. Does anyone have some input or thoughts on people moving to Whitehall? My case is a little different - as we are moving in to property that has been in my family for decades. Don't be afraid to express yourselves. The greed and avarice that we are exposed to here CAN be stopped at the Montana border! Protect Montana!!
Let me and my dog Peaches be the the first ones to say welcome home if you do come back, Whitehall is an awesome town with friendly people, hope you will feel as warm and welcome as me and my family. There are several churches I would suggest; AG or either of the two Baptist will be great, and tell um Terry and Peaches sent you. Welcome Home

Old 11-20-2007, 01:50 AM

63 posts, read 218,103 times
I know where Whitefish is, but where the hell is Whitehall?????

Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,082,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normsw View Post
I know where Whitefish is, but where the hell is Whitehall?????
Right along I-90, not quite halfway between Butte and Bozeman.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 16,880 times
Don't be scared, you'll love it!! I was a Californian until I was 13, Then i was a Nevadan for 14, Now I have been a Montanan for 14. My heart will always be a Montanan. Don't let people judge for where you have lived. You are coming home and that is what matters

Old 08-01-2008, 05:21 PM

44 posts, read 192,635 times
Just stopped in Whitehall yesterday for dinner. Had to look hard to find a cafe/restaurant...finally asked someone on the street and got good info. This is a nice (very) small town but doesn't seem to have much going on.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 10,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly393 View Post
Hi! I am originally from Montana but have been stuck in Arizona for a couple years now. I am moving back and have been considering buying a business in Whitehall called Bordons.hotel,restaurant and bar. Do you know anything about this place? I am going over to look at it in about two months, but some insite would be helpful. Thanks
I moved from the Phoenix area to whitehall. I looked in to buying Bordens years ago. I bought the Pizza place down the street instead. I am friends with Jim the owner and he has worked hard and struggled. It is a beautiful place with great protential. I know every inch of that bulding and have been in every room. I wish you good luck.. if you happen to buy it. we would surely meet.
Rich. CrzyBear Pizza , Whitehall.MT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana