Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 26,250 times

Advertisements

So I've read every single thread on this forum about Billings, and I'm still on the fence.

Currently I live in South Texas on the coast (Corpus Christi), and I am not happy here. I grew up and lived in Alabama for 22 years before moving here last year. I'm not the stereotypical Alabamian though. I have a chance to apply for a job in Billings. I'm a meteorologist (not on TV) and the Billings job would be a promotion.

So after being here for over a year I am sure that I need a major change. I have found it very difficult to make friends down here. The weather is SO hot and humid all the time and also very boring. I love being outdoors, and it's just too hot to do anything here. There is also nothing to see here. It seems like Billings would be the opposite Corpus Christi.

My main concerns with Billings are more personally related. Finding happiness there would be imperative. I'm a single 24 year old guy. I love sports and outdoor activities. I'm also into photography and storm chasing. I'd like to get involved in some groups or find some good spots to hang out with a young crowd if I moved there. With this in mind, is Billings at least a decent place for someone young and single?

I should also point out that I can't just pick up and move with my job. I would likely be there 2-5 years.

Last edited by TheMeteorologist; 06-23-2011 at 11:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,013,482 times
Check out this Billings blog about events in Billings. It may help you connect with locals or see if there are things happening and groups you would enjoy.

Billings365.com :: Billings MT :: Events, Music, Movies, Food, Nightlife, Drink Specials, Lifestyle, Directory

quote... "Billings365.com is the locals’ guide to Billings. We’ve got Billings’ most comprehensive calendar of events including concerts, theatre, kids and family events, comedy, fundraisers, sports and recreation, nightlife, local and live music and much more."

I don't have any connection to the blog.... I just found it by Googling "blogs about Billings mt".

Sounds like Billings may be a positive change for you from what you describe.

If you do move there.... Welcome to Montana!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:24 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,178,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeteorologist View Post
So I've read every single thread on this forum about Billings, and I'm still on the fence.

Currently I live in South Texas on the coast (Corpus Christi), and I am not happy here. I grew up and lived in Alabama for 22 years before moving here last year. I'm not the stereotypical Alabamian though. I have a chance to apply for a job in Billings. I'm a meteorologist (not on TV) and the Billings job would be a promotion.

So after being here for over a year I am sure that I need a major change. I have found it very difficult to make friends down here. The weather is SO hot and humid all the time and also very boring. I love being outdoors, and it's just too hot to do anything here. There is also nothing to see here. It seems like Billings would be the opposite Corpus Christi.

My main concerns with Billings are more personally related. Finding happiness there would be imperative. I'm a single 24 year old guy. I love sports and outdoor activities. I'm also into photography and storm chasing. I'd like to get involved in some groups or find some good spots to hang out with a young crowd if I moved there. With this in mind, is Billings at least a decent place for someone young and single?

I should also point out that I can't just pick up and move with my job. I would likely be there 2-5 years.
You would have lots of chances to chase storms! I'm a little older and married with kids and still love chasing storms and photographing them. My wife tells me I'm 18 at heart.. haha.

Billings is pretty populated, so the dating scene is OK, but with regards to finding girls your age, I'd suggest Bozeman, Missoula or Helena due to the colleges. The scenery is good this time of year!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:26 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,222,371 times
And Montana's secret motto is "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes -- it'll change!"

Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 PM

8,521 posts, read 8,902,556 times
If it is a good job, it may be worth taking for at least a few years unless there are still enough reservations that you don't feel comfortable getting off the fence after another round of consideration or if you expect that other opportunities as good will be coming your way in the near future.

If some combination of these apply... you don't like winter, "need" to live in heavy woods, take trips to the big city often, need fancy hiphop clubs to happily socialize in or more significantly don't want to be that far from your original home and family or more than a couple other things concern you a lot then maybe pass... if you think some other place will have fewer issues and be a live option soon enough and you can tolerate CC 'til then.

Billings is slightly older than the average US city but just slightly and it also has a slightly higher % of single adults to maybe offset that a bit. About 20% of Billings metro is in its 20s so that is about 25,000 people in that age range and a lot of additional young people from the outlying region will pop into Billings on the weekends too. That would seem like it could be enough to support a fair amount of youthful activity and options if you are willing to look hard for it and dive in and don't have unrealistic expectations or specialized hobbies and tastes. But if you feel you need a bigger city, more activity and more variety than a city of this size will offer, then listen to your own judgment. Folks have different preferences on city size.

If you had something of a hard time finding enough folks to do stuff with in Corpus Christi then you probably should plan on going out even more and joining even more organizations in the next city as prospecting for friends and activities and cut off the dead ends only after you've given them a fair shake. But of course, do what you feel like doing and don't force a lot stuff on yourself if it is unlikely to please.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-24-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the replies. I don't necessarily need a huge city right next door to be happy. From what I've read and know from traveling across the country, the culture and lifestyle of Billings would suit me quite well compared to Corpus Christi. I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Good luck to you!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,039,479 times
I am not sure what the singles scene is like in Billings, but I tell everyone who moves here to keep in mind that Montana's salaries are very low compared to most other places across the country. While I don't think Billings is as expensive to live in as some areas closer to mountains, make sure you do your homework about salary and cost of living before you come here. I say this not out of some prejudice against Montana as some people on this blog have accused me of having, but because I have seen people move to Montana and end up so broke they had no choice but to return from whence they came.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I am not sure what the singles scene is like in Billings, but I tell everyone who moves here to keep in mind that Montana's salaries are very low compared to most other places across the country. While I don't think Billings is as expensive to live in as some areas closer to mountains, make sure you do your homework about salary and cost of living before you come here. I say this not out of some prejudice against Montana as some people on this blog have accused me of having, but because I have seen people move to Montana and end up so broke they had no choice but to return from whence they came.
From what I've seen, a salary of 70k would be plenty there even though the cost of living is a little higher.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 PM

You will do just fine. Sounds to me like it would be a good move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana