Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:54 PM

6 posts, read 15,615 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking at Butte for a new start, probably this summer. We've had enough of Eastern Washington, the bureaucracy, the hypocrisy, the crime, the ignorance, and the corruption at all levels of government. I'm neither right-nor-left, I'm definitely a centrist and I believe in balance. In reading the posts on this bulletin board and also craigslist (rants and raves offers a good look into what kind of whack-jobs are in the area) I must say I'm honestly impressed with Butte.

I like the "not going to roll over and die" attitude. I think too many people give up when the deck is stacked against them. That's actually why my family has been in Eastern Washington (not quite hell, but definitely in the same area code and run by the same people).

I was accepted last year to Montana Tech but decided the time wasn't right. Now I think it's time to gamble and move. My question is this: is the local and state government farely un-intrusive, and can I expect to mostly be left alone? I'm so tired of Washington State's "These people are obviously too dumb to take care of themselves, let's pass 14 laws governing how often they can flush their toilets for their own safety" which I'm sure serves the dumbest of the dumb which are in vast supply here, but really only serves to restrict my rights.

Reading the craigslist rants and raves for Missoula, Bozeman, etc... I'm fairly certain I don't belong there.

I just want to live my life with as little interference, drama and BS as possible. I want to take my kids out to the sticks to shoot our rifles, I want to go off-roading and still take my kids to the symphony. Is it possible Buttemight be right for us, or is it really the entire world going down the crapper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times
Well I am born and raised in the Tri-Cities of Eastern Washington. Main residence is in Arizona but have a place south of Anaconda.
We buy supplies eat and shop in Butte and never felt un welcome. Have rented vehicles from there with no problems.
Maybe it would be different for you
Even the 4th July fireworks is a super event.
Take a look at the Montana Standard newspaper here.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,072,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiMorris View Post
Is it possible Butte might be right for us, or is it really the entire world going down the crapper?
The entire world is going down the crapper. However Butte is pretty high so it'll be a while before it gets flushed.
Get a good jacket it can get a bit chilly there as it is higher than Denver and further north. Not a lot of action at night unless you like the small bar life. Butte is not famous for fine cuisine either.
I sort of view Butte as a living museum in the same way that I view Wallace Idaho.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,560,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiMorris View Post
My family and I are looking at Butte for a new start, probably this summer. We've had enough of Eastern Washington, the bureaucracy, the hypocrisy, the crime, the ignorance, and the corruption at all levels of government. I'm neither right-nor-left, I'm definitely a centrist and I believe in balance. In reading the posts on this bulletin board and also craigslist (rants and raves offers a good look into what kind of whack-jobs are in the area) I must say I'm honestly impressed with Butte.

I like the "not going to roll over and die" attitude. I think too many people give up when the deck is stacked against them. That's actually why my family has been in Eastern Washington (not quite hell, but definitely in the same area code and run by the same people).

I was accepted last year to Montana Tech but decided the time wasn't right. Now I think it's time to gamble and move. My question is this: is the local and state government farely un-intrusive, and can I expect to mostly be left alone? I'm so tired of Washington State's "These people are obviously too dumb to take care of themselves, let's pass 14 laws governing how often they can flush their toilets for their own safety" which I'm sure serves the dumbest of the dumb which are in vast supply here, but really only serves to restrict my rights.

Reading the craigslist rants and raves for Missoula, Bozeman, etc... I'm fairly certain I don't belong there.

I just want to live my life with as little interference, drama and BS as possible. I want to take my kids out to the sticks to shoot our rifles, I want to go off-roading and still take my kids to the symphony. Is it possible Buttemight be right for us, or is it really the entire world going down the crapper?
It seems like you're pretty conservative? FWIW Butte is a heavily democratic town - voted against Bush twice by 2:1 margins. For a long time, national chains avoided Butte due to the union presence there. Contrary to popular belief, Missoula does NOT have the most liberal voting record in Montana; that honor goes to Butte/Anaconda....

That said, I think most Buttians are very pro-gun so no problems there.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:01 PM

6 posts, read 15,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
It seems like you're pretty conservative? FWIW Butte is a heavily democratic town - voted against Bush twice by 2:1 margins. For a long time, national chains avoided Butte due to the union presence there. Contrary to popular belief, Missoula does NOT have the most liberal voting record in Montana; that honor goes to Butte/Anaconda....

That said, I think most Buttians are very pro-gun so no problems there.

No, not conservative really, I'm actually a centrist. But more importantly, a centrist who just wants to be left alone. And I'm very proud to say I'm third generation Teamster, and was perhaps the only Navy wife living on the Bangor Subbase who did research and was decidedly not a Bush supporter.

I'm in the Tri-Cities now which is the more conservative part of Washington, but so tired of nonsense. Today's headlines: Pasco woman receives 7 months in jail for spitting on police officer (she was drunk); and Pasco man receives 6 months for New Year's stabbing (gang related).

My good friend had a stereo stolen out of her car one winter. The car door was open, there were footprints in the newly fallen snow from her neighbor's house to her car and back. She called the police and was told that unless she had video proving they stole it, there was nothing that could be done except to file an insurance claim. My Father had a 9N tractor and rototiller stolen out of his farmyard that he reported stolen, 6 months later Pasco Police sent him a letter asking if he'd found it. Honestly, depending on the cop whom the woman spit on - she may deserve a reward. It's ridiculous when the city cares more about the corrupt police than gang crimes.

This August I received a ticket for my dog not being on a leash, as she slipped out of the house and ran to the park next door with my children chasing her not 5 feet away. She ran right up to an Animal Control "officer" who came back to my house and wrote me a ticket. I didn't have my driver's license on me, but I had my work ID with full name on it and my military ID which she used to verify my identity, but she flat-out accused me of lying about my driver's license #. When I called animal control to complain about my tax dollars paying for this woman to accuse me of lying, I was told "No, we're not funded by tax dollars. The city pays us." "Excuse me, Ms. Director, where do you think the city gets their money from?" "Well, not from taxes."

I had a guy renting a room from me who did drag shows downtown - that's fine, whatever, I don't care. Just pay your rent, don't wear it around my kids, and don't tell me all about the latest Lady Gaga album because I don't care. I just want to sit on my porch swing and enjoy the flowers I planted without the drama, and without the city council citing me for having less than 70% of my front yard in grass. You do your thing, I'll do mine, and we'll all live happily ever after. Hopefully Butte is okay with that. I know Boise can be pretty intrusive with religion, and sadly the only church I attend is the church of mattress, hopefully religion in butte isn't shoved down people's throats.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:51 PM

213 posts, read 697,255 times
Have you visited Butte? I would highly recommend taking a road trip first. It's a little quirky, dingy and run-down in many places, and people either love it or hate it. They sure put on one heck of a St. Patrick's day celebration, though!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 PM

107 posts, read 119,010 times
I live in Butte. I'll be happy to talk with you.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 11,493 times
Living in different states and towns, I moved back home to Butte to get back to home town values. Butte folks are friendly and though a bit run down its really pretty nice and quiet. I would not live any where else unless I could find and afford a nice country home with 20 acres! Butte people mind there own business and I like it that way. and its small .Born and raised a Butte gal! Raising my kids here because its small and friendly. also Tech is a nice college

Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 AM

451 posts, read 999,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Butte is not famous for fine cuisine either.
Rickers: What exactly is not "fine cuisine" about deep-fried pork chop sandwiches?

All we are saying, is "give Butte a chance".

mg

Old 02-02-2011, 05:12 PM

213 posts, read 697,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
Rickers: What exactly is not "fine cuisine" about deep-fried pork chop sandwiches?
I thought the food was one of the best things about Butte. Porkies, pasties... mmmmmmm! I think I need a road trip soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana