Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,105 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I would like to start off by saying thank you for any and all replies. My wife and I live outside red deer Alberta, and were thinking of move down to MT in the billings area and leaning towards Columbus. We are horse people and We come from a small town so we like the slow pace. we have been to Billings a few times we have purchased horses from people in montana and love the area. We found the residents of the area quite friendly.
I was wondering how safe it would be for my wife when she is alone due to my work keeps me away from time to time. Is there good shopping in Columbus ? And the winters what would be the coldest temp in the columbus area and for how long are the winters. We get cold weather from Dec 1 - March 30 usually the coldest it would be -31 F could last up to 2 weeks at a time. Im sure it must be a little warmer in Mt. If anyone knows a good honest realitor in the area please let me know.

Thanks again SDF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 04:21 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,726 times
A little warmer yeah. Maybe more snow though (it's wetter). It's safe as far as crime goes. The only thing to keep in mind is it's tough to find skilled jobs in Montana... Alberta is far better in that regard with your oil and everything.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:24 PM

451 posts, read 999,040 times
Here's why I don't live in Billings... ("Silver Gun??!!")

Nah! I'm just messin' with ya'. I only visit Billings occasionally on business, so can't offer any real advice. Thought you might like the news article though...

Someone will be along shortly to give you good answers. Good luck and move there soon - winter is rumored to be on the way!

mg

Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
A little warmer yeah. Maybe more snow though (it's wetter). It's safe as far as crime goes. The only thing to keep in mind is it's tough to find skilled jobs in Montana... Alberta is far better in that regard.
Thanks for the advice, I don't plan on working in the MT, I work in the oilfield and plan to work in Canada. I already travel anywhere from 6 - 12 hrs to work right now I would be closer to work if i lived in MT because I work in south western sask Cn. Its a 8 hr drive home. I beleive it would be a 6.5 hr drive from Columbus MT. We just want to live in better place. The cost of living in Alberta is getting outrageous. eg gal of gas is $4.00, gal of Milk is $ 5.00. 12 pack of beer is $ 24.00. just to name a few. not to mention land within 50 miles of red deer with no house 160 acres min $400k - $1.0 million.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:49 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyfan View Post
Thanks for the advice, I don't plan on working in the MT, I work in the oilfield and plan to work in Canada. I already travel anywhere from 6 - 12 hrs to work right now I would be closer to work if i lived in MT because I work in south western sask Cn. Its a 8 hr drive home. I beleive it would be a 6.5 hr drive from Columbus MT. We just want to live in better place. The cost of living in Alberta is getting outrageous. eg gal of gas is $4.00, gal of Milk is $ 5.00. 12 pack of beer is $ 24.00. just to name a few. not to mention land within 50 miles of red deer with no house 160 acres min $400k - $1.0 million.
Yeah the prices in Alberta are ridiculous. I used to go up to Banff from MT a lot and each trip cost serious $$$.

BTW that's a long commute.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
$24 for a 12 pack!!?!?!

Welcome to Columbus, beer is half off. The rest is insignificant.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM

30 posts, read 77,055 times
Billings is a good place to raise a family, and for the most part is safe. There are the occasional drunk drivers on the roads, windshield breaks and once in a while more violent crimes....... but compared to larger cities it's pretty moderate. The economy is definately a service industry area, but there are large companies here now such as operations centers for Wells Fargo Bank, Bresnan Cable, Global Crossing Long Distance, General Electric. Plus there are all the medical related jobs. If you want good deals for buying homes billingsbyowner.com has quite a few single family ones lower than the normal costs. Hope it works for you guys.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:20 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyfan View Post
I live in Alberta as well, and let me tell you the prices of things are really starting to annoy me. These numbers are really what people are paying right now.
We are planning a move down south, and part of the reason is the prices of everything...
Montana is so beautiful!

Last edited by The_gateway; 01-02-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,782 times
you are doing a really very good decision . alberta canada is really a very good place to live .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana