Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 09:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
You were doin' it wrong. The ship is moving forward at what, around 15mph? So all you have to do is jump up and down and let the deck move out from under you. In just a few minutes the ship will have traveled 1.5 miles under your feet, and you'll be done running for the day!

I know a guy who gets his exercise by walking around the block twice every day. He sets a one-inch block of wood in the middle of the floor, then walks around it twice.
It would take forever. We were ASW (Anti Submarine Warfare) so we crept along quietly at 3-4 knots. hahahaha. Hadn't thought about doing it that way, but it would work. One time, shortly after I had made Chief, I suggested that we measure our flight deck (90 ft for our Lamps Mk II help). Then we could line up at one end of the flight deck and run to the other end of the flight deck. Then just multiply the distance and figure out what our time would be. hahaha. I walked the flight deck, briskly, and it worked out that I would have done the 1.5 miles in 9 minutes.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-26-2015 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: i cant spel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 PM

How is the weather up there? We have been completely nuts. 63° for a high an -6° for a low. We have been having drastic swings in a single day. I've never seen it swing this way. But, keep in mind that I am at the North end of the Big Horn mountains. So the weather drifts past Red Lodge and hits the prairie system to gather strength and barrel South to hit me. hahahaha

Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Keeps teasing us with a promise of nice weather like we had til this week, then next time you stick your nose out the door it feels like Antarctica. Only been down to about zero but the wind is so cold I think it's from another planet. And I'm down in a 'calm' spot. I ain't walkin' out by the highway, it'd freeze my face clean off.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 AM

Many many years ago, I was busting ice on the stock damn so the cattle could get water. Didn't think much about it, -40 or so and the wind was blowing. so hard that I had to turn my head to one side to get a gulp oof air. That's what it felt like, a gulp. Anyhow, I didn't think much about it, it needed done. When I got back to the place, the hiredman asked me something and when I went to answer, I realized my beard was frozen to my mustache and when I went to answer, it pulled and hurt. Which made me want to yell and that hurt worse, that made me want to help,..... You know how that went. That was the first year I had wintered with a beard. It sure kept me warm, but it had some drawbacks.

In 72, we built Decker Coal in Decker Montana. We had to keep weather records due to warrantee and contract. We poured concrete at sub zero temps and had to record everything. We had a particularly cold December so we kept a D9 Cat at idle so we could push start vehicles. We recorded -58 one day. No wind chill crap, just plain -58. At the end of shift we went to push start my truck and when I climbed in, my naugahide seat shattered like I sat on potatoes Chios. It started but many didn't. 16 guys at work and we only got 4 vehicles to run. So all 16 piled into 4 vehicles to head 19 miles into town.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 AM

Well, look on the bright side ... that beard was already pre-soaked for when you wanted to take it off.

Temps like that generally don't make it into the official records, but who knows how many are small local cold spots. I remember during the Great Winter of '68/'69, a local radio station recorded -72 (without wind chill) at their tower north of Great Falls.

Anyone else remember the chant one of the Great Falls stations played during that record-duration cold spell? (longest subzero period on record) It went like this:

"We want a chinook. We want a chinook. We want a chinook. We want a chinook...."

Old 02-28-2015, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Well, look on the bright side ... that beard was already pre-soaked for when you wanted to take it off.

Temps like that generally don't make it into the official records, but who knows how many are small local cold spots. I remember during the Great Winter of '68/'69, a local radio station recorded -72 (without wind chill) at their tower north of Great Falls.

Anyone else remember the chant one of the Great Falls stations played during that record-duration cold spell? (longest subzero period on record) It went like this:

"We want a chinook. We want a chinook. We want a chinook. We want a chinook...."
Exactly. The nearest " official" recording station as 70 miles away. We had a big plywood. backed station with wet bulb/dry bulb, barometer, wind guage, etc... Due to contract warrentee, we recorded the weather at set times during the day. Obviously, 20 years later and a coal silo collapses and kills somebody, they ant to be able to sue somebody. So records were kept. The weather station was a NOAA station that we leased, but like you said, not official and the data collected was for local records only.

Been sub zero the last couple nights and I noticed that my Lazy Boy migrated. closer to the furnace. haha. If you notice the time on this post, its middle of the night. Wen over and visited with th neighbor for a bit and wondered him about 7:30 or so. Sat down in the Lazy Boy and made the fatal mistake. I put my feet up. Like a light switch being thrown, I went out. Woke up wondering why time it was, where I was, what day it was. hahaha. Took me a bit to get my bearings. Now it will be q bit before I can get to sleep. Maybe if I just put my feet u? haha

Old 02-28-2015, 08:50 AM

And then there's that spot over on the Jefferson River, where an official station is right down on the riverbank -- and hardly ever registers below freezing. It's -30 in Three Forks yet it's +30 two miles away? Dang, this global warming must be even better than I thought!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:46 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
So I made some goose pastrami earlier this week. I brined the breasts for 3-4 days, then rolled them in cracked pepper and coriander and set them on the smoker. I had to keep the lid cracked to keep the temp down. There they sat for 3-4 hours.

Or so I thought.

It was evening and I had let the dogs out. I whistled for them to come back, and up comes my male German shorthaired with a half of a smoked breast in his mouth. I went over the smoker and he had ate 2 out of the 4 that I made.

Needless to say he's been a little, errr, ripe the past few days.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
So I made some goose pastrami earlier this week. I brined the breasts for 3-4 days, then rolled them in cracked pepper and coriander and set them on the smoker. I had to keep the lid cracked to keep the temp down. There they sat for 3-4 hours.

Or so I thought.

It was evening and I had let the dogs out. I whistled for them to come back, and up comes my male German shorthaired with a half of a smoked breast in his mouth. I went over the smoker and he had ate 2 out of the 4 that I made.

Needless to say he's been a little, errr, ripe the past few days.
So sorry, that's too bad. Bet you he liked it though.

I have found that in bar-b-q's and smokers. I wish there was a lower setting. Sometimes I want to slow cook and can't. Its too warm.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:33 AM

KingstonBob's mom made the best pastrami... you just couldn't stop eating it! I vaguely recall it was aged under the kitchen sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana