Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 04:02 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Not sure I want to eat at your house [Ick, coffee, hack, ptui!!]

In the post-Roman era in northern Europe, referring to a person as 'black' meant black-haired, not black-skinned. So you'll see references like "Robert the Black" and "black Irish" which merely mean black-haired (usually with brown eyes) -- not the usual for the Celtic peoples which tended to be blue-eyed with blond or light brown hair. Same as an appellation like "Eric the Red" meant red-haired or red-bearded, not red Indian.

Rez's daffynitions: Red Indian: someone who can't decide if he's from Cleveland or Cincinnati.
Rez, you are a wealth of information. I am amazed. I learn something new every day on the porch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 04:27 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Rez, you are a wealth of information. I am amazed. I learn something new every day on the porch!
My brain is like a sponge, or perhaps a dirty dishrag... Every time I shake my head, something falls out, *clang*splat*. This is why the Porch needs to be swept and scrubbed every day.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:19 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Another tidbit, if you do a web search for common names of folks, you can easily find a Mormon website that lists names along with the birth and death dates of thousands of deceased people along with their social security numbers. Hmmmmm.
Along with their Social Security Numbers? Wow! I couldn't find that site and I looked for an hour. Could you DM me please?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Default Another slightly overused joint from ElkHunter

Elk Knees Hot
Elk Knees Cold
Elk Knees on the Porch
Eight Days Old!
Attached Thumbnails
Let's visit on the Porch II-downsize.jpg  

Old 12-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Along with their Social Security Numbers? Wow! I couldn't find that site and I looked for an hour. Could you DM me please?
Mormon church public access to their genealogy records:
FamilySearch.org - Search

Social Security numbers for deceased persons are considered public information, as being of no further use to their original owners. They will often come up on genealogical search and are occasionally the only way to tell two same-named people apart. There's also a public info cutoff somewhere around 1930, but I don't recall the details offhand, per something I read on some major genealogy site.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:18 AM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
There's also a public info cutoff somewhere around 1930, but I don't recall the details offhand, per something I read on some major genealogy site.
The US (Federal) Census data becomes available as public 72 years after being collected.
Thus the 1930 US Census has been available since 2002, and the 1940 Census becomes available in 2012.
State Censuses vary both as to the years conducted and when available as public info.
All has to do with privacy...
There's a ton of useful info in the Federal and State Censuses. When doing genealogical research, they are among my favorite starting points. Feds list age, occupation, months at work or school, place of birth, etc. A veritable goldmine.
But: You need to know the city or town (nearest) of the person(s) at the time of the census. The records can be searched by state, but a common name (Jones, for instance), will yield many thousands of listings. Also, misspellings are VERY common, especially if the person being counted (or the enumerator) spoke with an accent.

mg

Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
The US (Federal) Census data becomes available as public 72 years after being collected. Thus the 1930 US Census has been available since 2002, and the 1940 Census becomes available in 2012. State Censuses vary both as to the years conducted and when available as public info. All has to do with privacy...
Ah yes, that's it; I'd completely forgotten the details. Shows you how long ago I last looked at 'em in the first place ... 2002, apparently.

Quote:
There's a ton of useful info in the Federal and State Censuses. When doing genealogical research, they are among my favorite starting points. Feds list age, occupation, months at work or school, place of birth, etc. A veritable goldmine.
That they are

Quote:
But: You need to know the city or town (nearest) of the person(s) at the time of the census. The records can be searched by state, but a common name (Jones, for instance), will yield many thousands of listings. Also, misspellings are VERY common, especially if the person being counted (or the enumerator) spoke with an accent.
Or simply changed the spelling by adding or omitting a letter (or sometimes with impossibly bad handwriting) ... either my granddad or the census taker did so when he was a teenager, which is why my surname is spelled different than all my relatives in the midwest. For whichever reason, it stuck, at least for us. I think it looks better so I'm keepin' it.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:15 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
What day is it? For that matter, what month is it? hahahaha I feel lost. I kicked back about 1pm and was going to take a short nap. It's after 8pm and I just woke up. hahahaha It's dark outside. See what you folks do to me?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
What day is it? For that matter, what month is it? hahahaha I feel lost. I kicked back about 1pm and was going to take a short nap. It's after 8pm and I just woke up. hahahaha It's dark outside. See what you folks do to me?
Day? Month? You're worrying about that when we don't even know who we are, or where we're going in this handbasket?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 AM

Here's a Bozeman local events calendar:
KGLT-FM Community (http://kglt.net/community/community.html - broken link)

It uses Google calendar -- Anyone with a website can set up something like this for their local community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana