Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM

7,384 posts, read 12,683,684 times

Advertisements

Oh wow, what a beautiful day! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,126,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Ok, I want to know who screwed up my calendar????? Today is Saturday, I don't care what your calendar says.

I don't know why I lost a day this week. I woke up this morning about 5:20. Went to the kitchen and threw some coffee beans in the grinder and put on a pot of coffee. As soon as I could, I poured a big mug and crawled back in bed. Normal Saturday routine. I have a hospital bed, so I grabbed the controller and set myself up, raised my legs a bit and turned on the TV to watch the Saturday morning news and sip on the coffee. Not once during the news, did it dawn on me that it wasn't Saturday. Finally I got up, got dressed and headed out to bring in my guages so I could make my weather reports. While filling out the weather report on the website, I finally realized it wasn't Saturday. WTH???? Now I have to go back through and figure out what day I skipped so I can do it today.

I know a bunch of you folks got hammered with this storm. Let's hear some reports. Down here, below the Southern Border, where it is definately warmer with the palm trees and such, it's 9° F, the wind is blowing at about 25 mph givings us a wind chill of about 12-14 degrees below zero. We did NOT ibout an inch deep. hahahaha

Some people buy big expensive wind guages so they can figure out what direction the wind is coming from. Me? I just look at the horses and see which corner they backed into.
........Hey Elk...
Here is a weather report from the west side of the Bitterroot........56 miles north of Lost Trail pass.
...11 inches of snow on the level.....that fell in about 24 hours
...no wind.... thus
no drifts

Nine above at six thirty this morning.
I have not had any elk recently in the yard.........how ever.....got a call this morning from a friend who of me........he had 12 bulls and 26 cows within 200 feet of his house at 9 am today. Amazing area in which to live.

Hope you are doing well.

Griz

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: fixed quote mark

Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,082,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
........Hey Elk...
Here is a weather report from the west side of the Bitterroot........56 miles north of Lost Trail pass.
...11 inches of snow on the level.....that fell in about 24 hours
...no wind.... thus
no drifts

Nine above at six thirty this morning.
I have not had any elk recently in the yard.........how ever.....got a call this morning from a friend who of me........he had 12 bulls and 26 cows within 200 feet of his house at 9 am today. Amazing area in which to live.

Hope you are doing well.

Griz

Great to hear from you. Sounds like you got the most snow. I've been watching snow reports and Billings at 6.5 inches was about the most on the East side of the state. But, it's still snowing over a lot of the East.

it was funny. The storm moved down close to me, and actually caused several road reports between the Montana State Line and Ranchester. Freezing rain, cars in the ditch, black ice, drizzle, low visibility, all down to within a mile of my cabin. Nothing here. Lodge Grass got several inches, people were sliding off of Aberdeen Hill. Now, tonight, it's finally starting to snow here. We had the wind and cold, but just in the last couple hours, it's started to snow.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,082,824 times
Well, this snow storm has been devastating. I got up this morning and braved the cold as I waded out to where my guages are so I could retreive them and figure out depth of snow and amount of moisture. My guage is 14 inches tall and 4 inches across and I was concerned whether it was going to be able to contain the snow and give me an accurate reading.

With a great deal of effort, I was able to get to my guage, but wasn't sure if I had the strength to make it back. I'm thinking that a call to FEMA is in order because of this devastating storm.

Ok. Actually, I went out this morning and played with Timber. She run and run and run, like she had been penned up for too long. Heck, she was outside at 11 last night. hahaha

We got nothing. Maybe an inch. My reports are rounded to the nearest half inch and I actually have to round UP to call it an inch. hahaha The storm came all the way down to the state line. I have a friend that stopped by yesterday and he has a ranch on the Montana side of the state line. One end of his 1400 acres got about 4 inches and the southern end of his ranch got about what I got here.

Here's some pics from the porch.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:53 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,941 times
What is amazing to us, even tho we are alaskans used to hellacious storms, the drifts from the wind here in Montana! The snow is drier & the drifts remarkable!

Old 01-12-2013, 03:07 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,948,869 times
Wink Get my drift ?

I love snow drifts ~~~ especially when the snow drifts off of my driveway and down on its way elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:23 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,173,151 times
Bongo's been out in the cold too long

Old 01-12-2013, 04:34 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Bongo's been out in the cold too long
LOL!

Or maybe you just don't get my drift LOL!!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 AM

Was lookin' at the clearance between the dually's rear wheels... ain't none. I mean NONE. When it's sitting at any kind of slant, the tires can actually touch, and they're only 235-16 so not real wide. On a perfectly level surface, there's maybe half an inch of space tops. Ain't stickin' my finger in there to find out.

Anyway, I see they make dually cables, but might be an adventure finding 'em, and they're not cheap.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Or maybe you just don't get my drift LOL!!
I got your drift, it's in my driveway! now come get yer dang snow!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana