Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
Anyone remember the mini mall in Bel-Air Mall?? It don't remember all the little shops that were down that little "hall", but I remember there was a pastry shop and a head shop in there. Also, the huge slide called the "suicide slide" that used to sit in the parking lot of near the Springdale Mall.
I remember the mini mall, very well. I can still remember the rickety wooden hall floor that would squeak when you walked on it. There was a small fountain at the end in front of the cake/pastry shop, an ICEE/popcorn shop, and a candle store (Wicks N Sticks), which relocated next to Sears, once the mini mall closed. (Not sure if it's still there. ?) I think the head shop you're thinking of was the original Tinder Box, which moved across from Chick-Fil-A.
In the late 70's-mid 80's, my grandmother (Nanny) watched me & my sister during summer vacations. She would take us to the mall A LOT, not necessarily to shop, but just to get us out of the house (or to get us out of our grandfather's hair, maybe? ). Either way, we practically LIVED @ the mall. Nanny grew up with the lady who ran Wicks N Sticks, so we would always swing by to say hello.

Other fond mall memories: Lunch @ Woolworth's, Piccadilly, or the Copper Kettle (located in Gayfer's @ Springdale)...the Orange Julius and Dipper Dan's Ice Cream, both located in the main entrance area of Bel Air...watching Fourth of July fireworks from Springdale Plaza's parking lot...the Capri Theatre (in the area where Wendy's, on the corner of Airport & Bel Air Blvd, is now)...Sears' candy counter...breakfast with Santa in the Montgomery Ward cafe...I could go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 PM

689 posts, read 1,213,255 times
Interesting that in the multiplex era (1960s - 1990s), most of Mobile's theaters were within 2 or so miles of Bel Air/Springdale Malls.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 AM

491 posts, read 892,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio1112 View Post
I remember the mini mall, very well. I can still remember the rickety wooden hall floor that would squeak when you walked on it. There was a small fountain at the end in front of the cake/pastry shop, an ICEE/popcorn shop, and a candle store (Wicks N Sticks), which relocated next to Sears, once the mini mall closed. (Not sure if it's still there. ?) I think the head shop you're thinking of was the original Tinder Box, which moved across from Chick-Fil-A.
In the late 70's-mid 80's, my grandmother (Nanny) watched me & my sister during summer vacations. She would take us to the mall A LOT, not necessarily to shop, but just to get us out of the house (or to get us out of our grandfather's hair, maybe? ). Either way, we practically LIVED @ the mall. Nanny grew up with the lady who ran Wicks N Sticks, so we would always swing by to say hello.

Other fond mall memories: Lunch @ Woolworth's, Piccadilly, or the Copper Kettle (located in Gayfer's @ Springdale)...the Orange Julius and Dipper Dan's Ice Cream, both located in the main entrance area of Bel Air...watching Fourth of July fireworks from Springdale Plaza's parking lot...the Capri Theatre (in the area where Wendy's, on the corner of Airport & Bel Air Blvd, is now)...Sears' candy counter...breakfast with Santa in the Montgomery Ward cafe...I could go on and on.

Wow, these details are starting to bring back some of those fuzzy memories. I was born in Dec. 1981, so I was a very small child when the mini-mall was around. That was the original Tinder Box; always had the good smells coming from there with the sweet tobaccos they sold. The wooden floor seems familiar. Wasn't the mini-mall down the corridor near Dillards (DH Holmes back then) where there recently was a pizza place on the corner and Abercrombie on the other side?

I also remember the Copper Kettle now that you speak of it and the ice cream shop on the corner where Kay jewelers is now. For those on here too young to remember, the Woolworths was where the Foot Locker stores are now in front of the carousel. They had an eating area with an iron fence like thing that jutted out into the mall area, and you could eat and people watch. They had really good grilled hot dogs.

There was a little hot dog and pretzel place where Chick-fil-A is now. Target occupies the old food court, which had a neat recessed eating area below the main restaurants. Chick-Fil-A was in the food court at the end, and there was a candy/nut place there. We also used to have a Sabarro, another ice cream place, a Potato Works, and I can't remember what else. The Ruby Tuesday had been there as long as I can remember.

What else was in the mall? It's fun trying to go back and rememmber what was in there and where it was.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 PM

As a child, I had one of my first reuben sandwiches at Gayfer's Copper Kettle restaurant. The nearby bakery also produced some of the BEST soft cookies I've ever had. I can almost still smell them to this very day. Sometimes I just curse Dillards for buying Mercantile Stores and eventually killing Gayfers, but I guess it was inevitable.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM

I remember the green and white tile flooring and green seats of the food court. Bel Air Mall's food court took visual references from the architecture of the French Quarter and New Orleans in general. Supposedly, this architectural style was to play off the 'Frenchness' of its latest anchor department store: Parisian.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 13,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Wasn't the mini-mall down the corridor near Dillards (DH Holmes back then) where there recently was a pizza place on the corner and Abercrombie on the other side?
What else was in the mall? It's fun trying to go back and rememmber what was in there and where it was.
I don't remember exactly, but I remember it being in that area.
Other places/memories:
Thornbury's Toys with the monkey logo, located around where Spencer's is now (or was...haven't been home in a while. ), close to Sears.
The pet store that was in the area of where Auntie Anne's/The Avenue is now. It had a large fish tank on one side of the entrance, and on the other, a display window for various pets.
Anyone remember the weird, blue kryptonite looking art hanging above one of the escalators in Gayfers? I was always intrigued by it.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,759 times
Great Food -
Lums (Lumbuger w/ seasoned fries), Springdale Mall
Rebel Queen (steamed hamburgers) Old SHell Rd.
Ozzies BBQ (box of short ribs soaking in sauce) Bel Air Mar
Blue Gill Seafood (near the Battleship Ala)

Last edited by MI BA; 10-30-2011 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: remember another great one.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 AM

491 posts, read 892,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio1112 View Post
I don't remember exactly, but I remember it being in that area.
Other places/memories:
Thornbury's Toys with the monkey logo, located around where Spencer's is now (or was...haven't been home in a while. ), close to Sears.
The pet store that was in the area of where Auntie Anne's/The Avenue is now. It had a large fish tank on one side of the entrance, and on the other, a display window for various pets.
Anyone remember the weird, blue kryptonite looking art hanging above one of the escalators in Gayfers? I was always intrigued by it.
The pet store was called Doctor X and it was located next door to where Zales is, on the corridor leading to Sears. As you walked in, the dogs/cats, etc. were on the left. They had a big kennel section like Petsmart. That's about all I remember.

I don't remember Thornbury's. There was a Kay Bee Toys across and down from McDonalds a bit. There was also a "barn looking" Hickory Farms store on the same side. I used to go in there and get gummi bears as a kid.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 AM

Kay Bee Toys is now Bama Fever/ Tiger Pride

Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 AM

4 posts, read 22,246 times
Default Old favorite gone and a new olf favorite returns

Sad to see the Krispy Kreme on Government shut down. When I was a kid in the 60's, I would walk to the Krispy Kreme at the Loop on DIP and doughnuts. Back then you could get a dozen for $.50.

Ossie Bar-b-que is returning this year, in the old spot on Goverment St. I use to go there with my parents in the 60's. It was the best bar-b-que in town. Can't wait to try the new Ossie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area