Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:27 PM

5,010 posts, read 9,211,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Oh Lordy.. I do remember seeing Elvis at the fair and then seeing him on TV I told my Mother that he was the one we saw at the fair. IIRC.. he also said he would never come back to Mobile because not many ppl showed up to see him. I know he did come back but not until many many years later.

I remember Weinackers, we use to go there to eat ice cream sundaes, milk shakes and banana splits. We use to go to Pullman's bakery on Sundays too. We would get the Pullman rolls and have sandwiches for supper plus sweets for deserts. Back in those days you had your big Sunday meal for lunch. Ahh the memories.

I do remember the downtown theater. Anyone remember the peanut store downtown? What about the candy store where they made pulled taffy. I had a crush on a boy who's mother ran a bar on gov't street. There weren't many of those in Mobile.

I remember before there was an interstate. Springdale Plaza was as far as we ever went imagine my surprise when I came back after 20 years and saw Airport blvd.. What were the gardens that were way out and kind of stair steps anyone remember that?

I use to ride the city bus home from Barton JRHS. It was so safe back then.

My LXH was related to the Fletchers, but my family use to eat at Ossie's when I was growing up. I also loved Morrison's custard pie.

Hey Keeper FYI downtown has a new theater called the Crecent Theater that is the same location I believe as th one you are talking about. The peanut store is still downtown in the same building with the same look, you should pay a visit im sure it will really bring back memories the next time you are in Mobile.The candy store that made and still make pulled taffy and other chocolate candy treats is Three George`s on Dauphin street.They make homemade stlye ice cream as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,781,868 times
Is the Dew Drop Inn still on Old Shell Rd? Hot dogs were the best! That was my first job when it had new ownership. There was a place called the Quarter Note, they had the best fried crab claws and hot pistacios, the red ones.

On another note, off of Japonica Ln the was an old house that used to be a TB Hospital. Old Lady Ward,according to the kids it was haunted.Both MS. Ward and her brother died of TB.

Is Old Shell Rd Elementry School still there?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Yes the Dew Dropp Inn is still going strong, and Old Shell Rd Elem is still standing as well.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,264,467 times
Looks like next time I am down that way.. I need to make a trip downtown. Last year I was downtown for a reunion at dusk and I was really disappointed. Of course, I remember when every storefront was filled with stores.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Of course, I remember when every storefront was filled with stores.
You will probably still dissapointed then. I have to imagine that would have been awesome to see.

I am very impressed when I stand near Dauphin and Royal. We really look loike a city in that area. Open stores, high rises, few eateries and bars. However, go a few blocks west or a block or two north and things become vacant again.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:11 PM

^^^ I strongly agree with you man !! That section of Royal /Conti & Royal and Dauphin is pretty strong. And yes the west and north areas of downtown need serious developing. I assume they are trying to focus on one area first and then the others. St. Louis street is the next major street that will be developed.I know Mobile is very advocate on saving some of the old buildings but to me some of them aren`t worth saving.

I wil like to see more shops,cafes,lounges, and maybe a bowling alley and another theater along with light retail on St.Louis street.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 9,741 times
Hello everyone! Pardon me for jumping right in - I saw your thread and thought I must tell you about a page over at Facebook called "Old Mobilian." Lots of discussion from Mobilians who remember the kinds of things you're discussing, and hundreds of pictures of Mobile going back to the early 1900s.

Now scurrying off to tell the folks there about your thread!

G'day!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:23 PM

Thanks !

Old 08-02-2010, 11:49 AM

10 posts, read 73,014 times
Default More Questions about the early 80's

Does anyone remember a band that use to play in the early to mid 80's out and around South Alabama? I think they use to play regularly at Oogies on Old Shell Road and maybe at Thirsties....all they played was oldies...

Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 PM

10 posts, read 73,014 times
Default "Woolworths"

I also played at Delaney Park (probably against you) with "Riley Stuart" and went to Westlawn Elementary...with relation to your question about the pub, when I was in high school it was called "The Cork And Clever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr crabb View Post
"Woolworths"...My Father-in-law was the store manager there back in 1978. You had a designated smoking area for students at murphy high in 1976.Santas rocket sleigh at springdale PLAZA .Morrisons at one end and raphaels at the other.There was no Montgomery Ward yet but was Delaney park where I played little league baseball in 1972 across the ditch from westlawn elementry.Played for Thoss Sporting Goods. and johnson chevorlet.That was next to the Royal Knight which is still kicking. Now the mini mall(Bel Aire Mall )had a leather shop where among other things you could get a leather braclet made with your name on it and exchange it with your girlfriend circa 1977. There was also big candle shop and an icee shop there. Spencer gifts might still be there. There was a big alladins castle beside mc donalds. I helped build the festival center when I was in college /construction and helped open the applebees on airport blvd.Any one remember New York Pizza that Phil and Zonk owned next to the dollar movie? Anyone remember the skating rink at the loop? There's an antique store there now. the colonel dixie is still at pleasant valley and hyw 90 still serving dixie dogs. The teen night club down the street from colonel dixie was a cafeteria style restaraunt Anyone remember the name?
Austins country palace is now closed for better or worse.The bargain bazar. Capri Theater at airport and bel aire. Ozzies bbq was where wendys is now.
Help me here. Was there a restaurant CALLED THE pUB THAT TURNED INTO THE jOLLY oX tHEN MUCH LATER TO HOOTERS BEFORE HOOTERS MOVED LAST YEAR?Early 70's. It was next to the old montgomery ward tire center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area