Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 09:57 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,176,337 times

Advertisements

How do you guys feel about the current annexation attempt ?https://www.al.com/news/2019/10/mobi...tion-plan.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 10:30 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,593,841 times
If the residents desire it probably a good idea.
The mayor should probably use current population estimates for his pitch instead of
old numbers. Playing off the headline good chance Mobile will be #3 even after the annexation but will benefit
the city in either case.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:54 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,176,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
If the residents desire it probably a good idea.
The mayor should probably use current population estimates for his pitch instead of
old numbers. Playing off the headline good chance Mobile will be #3 even after the annexation but will benefit
the city in either case.
I agree it would. The journalism at Al.com is horrible.I think for a brief minute Mobile will be the second and then in 2 years Huntsville will pass Mobile again and then Birmingham lol. I know growth is growth no matter what but I believe transient growth is more sustainable than annexation.I'm kind of in the middle about this.

Last edited by PortCity; 10-25-2019 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-26-2019, 01:24 PM

313 posts, read 250,237 times
The 2nd biggest high school in the state is in this area. I see the demographic change out in this area. The city will eventually annex all the way to snow road, its inevitable. The shillinger road corridor has about 12000 ppl that's roughly a little under half the population of that area. If hsv adds 25000 ppl to its population that'll be impressive

Old 10-28-2019, 01:11 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,994,651 times
Annexations can go a lot of different directions. As long as leadership in Mobile is strong, it can be a good thing, and promote unity. If it's bad, it'll suck resources from the new area to other areas that have much more need. When Memphis annexed the Cordova area, it went downhill badly. But there again Huntsville just annexed a huge area a few years ago and they can do no wrong up there. I guess the school system is a mess, but still.

To me, many times annexation is done for 3 reasons:

1) Obtain more votes for a particular party (bad)
2) Quick tax money grab or power play (bad)
3) Unify an area with solid city services and provide development opportunities (good)

I have no idea why this one is being done. With Airbus, seems like more people could be moving to Mobile, so maybe it's #3. I am skeptical, though. I don't see the huge amount of growth in Mobile I see in Huntsville, but it's also not in a declining state like Memphis was when it annexed.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:35 AM

490 posts, read 466,260 times
I think this is good news. Don't know how it will turn out. I know couple of people that live in the Schillinger Corridor. They have all said that they support the annexation. One of them used to be against it for years and has changed her mind. I hope it is successful. I also hope that the city continues to offer annexation to the neighborhoods that weren't included in the next annexation attempt.

There are still a lot of people out there that would rather see their house burn down because they don't have fire protection than be in the city. You can tell them all the benefits and show them how the benefits out weigh the cons and they are still against it.

Just hitting the 200,000 mark allows us to be eligible for grants that are worth more than any of the projected tax revenue that would come from the proposed annexation area.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:46 AM

139 posts, read 215,116 times
I don't believe the annexation will go thru, which sucks! Councilman Manzie will most likely be the deciding vote and at times he does allow Richardson and Smalls to skew his view.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 AM

I don't think Manzie has the guts to do the right thing. He should vote yes, but I bet he will cave to Richardson. Annexation wont pass the council and Mobile will seriously regret this decision. Its obvious that the annexation will benefit the city in so many ways. How could anyone vote no?

Old 11-18-2019, 07:11 PM

139 posts, read 215,116 times
Its Mobile city council is all I can say

Old 11-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Ridiculous. A person's race should not be an issue. The question is this.....Does the area pay for its own services and provides money back to the city? The answer is YES. How is it that hard?

We all know how Manzie is going to vote. Over the last several weeks all of his questions seemed to indicate that he was trying his best to build a case to vote no. Very hard to due given the positives are so obvious. But.... he will vote no anyway and continue to split our community along racial lines. Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area