Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:08 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,517 times

Advertisements

My mother in law who lives in Southeast Missouri says Mizzourah, she is originally from Kentucky. She is the only person I have ever heard say it like that other than the politicians. I have seen the pols use both versions in a single video clip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
My mother in law who lives in Southeast Missouri says Mizzourah, she is originally from Kentucky. She is the only person I have ever heard say it like that other than the politicians. I have seen the pols use both versions in a single video clip.
Well, there ya go! Outlanders and politicians

Old 04-22-2009, 07:49 AM

309 posts, read 1,025,703 times
Well, I'll say it again, lived in Missouri 31 years now, Born in Springfield and raised mostly in the KC area. I have lived in Columbia the last 4 years. My wife is from Rolla and has lived in STL. We both are outgoing and have a large social circle (though a bit less here in CoMo since we haven't lived here as long). I brought this thread up to her and she says she only hears politicians say it the "uh" way. I've always heard it the "ee" way, but I don't pay too much attention to local politics, sad as it is to say.

If somebody did say Missourah, I would notice as it would be a rarity. I probably wouldn't correct them, as I don't care how it is pronounced. All I am saying is that in my experience, the vast majority of people say Missouree.

Maybe it is YOU that don't have very many friends and need to get out more.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
Well, I'll say it again, lived in Missouri 31 years now, Born in Springfield and raised mostly in the KC area. I have lived in Columbia the last 4 years. My wife is from Rolla and has lived in STL. We both are outgoing and have a large social circle (though a bit less here in CoMo since we haven't lived here as long). I brought this thread up to her and she says she only hears politicians say it the "uh" way. I've always heard it the "ee" way, but I don't pay too much attention to local politics, sad as it is to say.

If somebody did say Missourah, I would notice as it would be a rarity. I probably wouldn't correct them, as I don't care how it is pronounced. All I am saying is that in my experience, the vast majority of people say Missouree.

Maybe it is YOU that don't have very many friends and need to get out more.
What a non-sequitur. Hmmm, let's see...I meet people from all over the state in my line of work, who pronounce it both ways, and you meet people from within your social circle, who pronounce it one way. Maybe you need to not be so touchy about it, or assume that because you haven't observed it, it must not be true.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:17 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
i dont really care how pple pronounce it, hardly an earth shaking thing. doesnt really have anything to do with cyrano's number of friends or his needing to get out more now does it? i dont know why that was brought up. my mom pronounces it missourah, i say missouree. ive heard a few pple say mizzourah, most seem to call it missouree. wonder if has to do with what part of the country the person was raised, or age group. i vote for changing the spelling to missouree or just plain old misery for short.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Oh please, todd, cyrano was the one who first told people they need to get out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

That said, I too thought it was strange to have some deny that ANYONE says "Mizzouruh." Maybe they don't know many people, or maybe they need to get out more.
I've never known anyone my age (24) that said -ah. I went to Mizzou and had friends and roommates from just about every nook and cranny in the state -- Perryville, St. Louis, Jefferson City, Moberly, Spokane, St. Joseph, Blue Springs ... I could go on. Some were rich, some were poor, some were urban, some were rural, but not one said -ah. That doesn't mean no one does it, but I think in my generation, it's clearly dying out.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
What a non-sequitur. Hmmm, let's see...I meet people from all over the state in my line of work, who pronounce it both ways, and you meet people from within your social circle, who pronounce it one way. Maybe you need to not be so touchy about it, or assume that because you haven't observed it, it must not be true.
No, it isn't a non-sequitur, you said "us that said nobody we know said it that way needs to get out more" and I was defending myself - it is obvious you were referring to me.

I, like poster above, went to Mizzou, with students from all over the state. I also worked for the Human Resource department and dealt with people all over as well. It wasn't "just" my social circle that didn't say it. Before that I can list several jobs that dealt with the public, many times asking addresses (such as in a Pharmacy) and people always say Missouree ( living on the edge of Kansas, it is a necessary distinction).

Perhaps YOU should not be so "offensive". Who cares how it is said. You seem to care a bit too much. Perhaps you need a new hobby?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Oh please, todd, cyrano was the one who first told people they need to get out more.

I've never known anyone my age (24) that said -ah. I went to Mizzou and had friends and roommates from just about every nook and cranny in the state -- Perryville, St. Louis, Jefferson City, Moberly, Spokane, St. Joseph, Blue Springs ... I could go on. Some were rich, some were poor, some were urban, some were rural, but not one said -ah. That doesn't mean no one does it, but I think in my generation, it's clearly dying out.
Ditto for me! I got my undergraduate degree from Mizzou, and my masters from Wash U, and I am 47...........

Old 04-23-2009, 05:39 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,146 times
Quote:
No, it isn't a non-sequitur, you said "us that said nobody we know said it that way needs to get out more" and I was defending myself - it is obvious you were referring to me.
No, it wasn't, not even if you have multiple personalities. I said "maybe THEY need to get out...more." Go back and read it. You were just one of several people who made the observation that you'd never heard people say the word that way. That was different from my experience. That's all. Therefore, I stand by my characterization, which came out of left field or your imagination, as a non sequitur.

Quote:
I, like poster above, went to Mizzou, with students from all over the state. I also worked for the Human Resource department and dealt with people all over as well. It wasn't "just" my social circle that didn't say it. Before that I can list several jobs that dealt with the public, many times asking addresses (such as in a Pharmacy) and people always say Missouree ( living on the edge of Kansas, it is a necessary distinction).

Perhaps YOU should not be so "offensive". Who cares how it is said. You seem to care a bit too much. Perhaps you need a new hobby?
So those of us who claim to have heard "Mizzouruh" a lot are making it up? I didn't escalate this little snark fit, amigo-- you're the one who, entirely erroneously and on your own, took my general comment as something personal meant for you. This post, on the other hand, is so meant.

Anyway, pot, meet kettle WRT to "offensive" and needing a new hobby.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:52 PM

No, I don't think you are making it up. I don't believe it is the majority of people saying it that way though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri