Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,632 times

Advertisements

Hello if I am out walking or driving and shooting photos but come across an Amish or Mennonite what is the best way to communicate with them. I don't want them to think they need to be on guard because I have a camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 10:14 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Being this is the Missouri forum, I'm very surprised, none of the 100+ posters have mentioned this reality TV series, filmed near Columbia, MO http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...h-out-of-order

The program's host, Mose Gingerich was raised in an Amish community in Wisconsin, where he taught in an Amish school, before leaving the culture in 2002. At the time the show aired, he lived on a farm near Columbia, MO, which he operated as a "halfway house" helping ex-Amish youth/ runaways, many of them from distant states, find jobs, and adjust to mainstream culture, in an understanding way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mose_Gingerich

Last edited by slowlane3; 08-16-2015 at 10:28 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
Default Amish or Mennonites in Boonville

Are the Amish still in Boonville, Missouri? We were always happy to see them, and they were always friendly. My friends own a farm out in their area and they said they thought the Amish school was now closed. I sure hope not.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:27 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
I see Mennonites in KC once in a while.

The place I see them most are in Scheel's, I think they're there to go on the Ferris Wheel with their kids.

I've also seen them in a Starbucks in Liberty and in Ikea.

Often when I see them, one or more of the women are looking around self-consciously, as if they're a bit embarrassed at the people staring at them. The guys don't seem to care as much.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:44 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
They would come to the house near Jefferson City when my wife had garage sales. They were big into kids' toys and books. They spoke Plattdeutsch or some such language amongst themselves. There were many out in Morgan County near Versailles.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 840 times
Where can I find a horse drawn carriage repair shop? I have a carriage in need of repair. It was made in Seneca mo 1989 new. It was in my barn when tornado hit us 5/22/2019. It needs refinished, a new 1 horse and 2 horse tongue, and new fold down top. I live in Pittsburg KS. Thank you for any information on carriage building, and carriage repair shops.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:48 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civilty View Post
Where can I find a horse drawn carriage repair shop? I have a carriage in need of repair. It was made in Seneca mo 1989 new. It was in my barn when tornado hit us 5/22/2019. It needs refinished, a new 1 horse and 2 horse tongue, and new fold down top. I live in Pittsburg KS. Thank you for any information on carriage building, and carriage repair shops.

These might help...or not...

Contact Us (This is in SD, but I don't know...might be helpful.)

Horse Buggy and Carriage Parts (This one is in Nashville)

Amish Links - Large List INFORMATION (I'm thinking this will probably be the MOST useful for you. There's links to buggy and carriage sales and parts. Plus, I think they're located in Topeka.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri