Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times

Advertisements

Wow, Placerville is one of the few places I would want to move to in Cali......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:56 PM

81 posts, read 196,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Wow, Placerville is one of the few places I would want to move to in Cali......
It is still a nice place to live. But the changes in the last 10 years are incredible. And I forsee CA in general just continuing to change for the worse.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:26 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've been wondering where everyone was.......
Thanks to a free airline ticket, I actually flew to pretty close to your neck of the woods this past weekend! A high school friend of mine lives near Cape Canaveral, so I went to visit him from the 6th to the 9th. The Cardinals beat the Dodgers 6 to 4 in a Grapefruit League game in Vero Beach last Friday, and except for getting my left kneecap and part of my left leg sunburned sitting right above the Cardinal bullpen, I had a great time! Rick Ankiel belted two of 'em out of the park and went 4 for 5 for the whole game, and the new kid Colby Rasmus swatted one out as well before fanning his next four trips to the platter. Albert homered once, too. The next day we drove to the Canaveral National Seashore south of New Smyrna Beach, but couldn't go past a certain point because of yesterday's space shuttle launch. Also saw my friend's house and workplace.

Overall, a very nice trip, and just my second time in Florida. Brevard County is a nice area. But my wife and I much prefer Missouri just the same, to both visit and live.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Eric, I am glad you had a good time in my place of exile...... but as W.C. Fields said, "All in all, I would rather be in STL" (taking great liberties with the orginal quote, which said Philadelphia )

Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
It is still a nice place to live. But the changes in the last 10 years are incredible. And I forsee CA in general just continuing to change for the worse.
I absolutely could not agree with you more. My wife and I love to drive up to Placerville, and then head down to Sutter Creek and Angels Camp. But the state of California is just going straight to H-E-double hockey sticks in a handbasket. Between this threat to homeschooling (which Arnold to his credit is fighting back on--but for how long?) and San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom likely running for Governor, plus an annual state budget deficit of close to $20 billion...I could go on and on and on....my wife and I have wanted to bust out of here for quite awhile now and head back to my native state of Missouri and start a wonderful new chapter to our marriage with God's help.

West Plains....hmmmm. I've only been there once back in 2003, and don't know what kind of shape the economy is in down there. Poplar Bluff to the east might be a Plan B, and the area surrounding Springfield, like Rogersville and Strafford, could be a Plan C. Despite its name, I remember West Plains being fairly hilly in terrain--at least rolling plains and not flat like the MO Bootheel. There is much less traffic there than in Placerville. But it is nowhere near a bigger city. Therefore, you might want to eyeball the Springfield outskirts. It's a little like Reno, Nevada to the east: very rural until you're right in town. South of Springfield you've got the fast-growing communities of Nixa and Ozark which I understand are perfectly nice, but I think looking east and north of Springfield would be good as far as lighter traffic and a slower pace are concerned. Also Poplar Bluff (pop. about 17,000) as well as West Plains.

I've been really struck with St. Joseph (pop. about 74,000) myself. Unless your heart is set on the very scenic southern part of Missouri, the area around St. Joe, such as the town of Savannah, could be a real wild card. The area has a surprising number of hills in addition to rolling plains, and the economy is beginning to pick up somewhat. Anyway, keep all of us posted on what develops! I do not think things are going to get better in California, even in the Gold Country between Auburn and Sonora, which is my favorite region in CA to visit. Missouri is a much more wholesome area to raise a family, hands down.

Pray about all this! My wife and I strongly feel--and have felt for awhile--that we should leave California and move to Missouri, and to the city of St. Joseph in particular. Many of us in these MO forums are ex-Californians or soon to be ex-Californians. None of us have regretted our moves and pine to move back there!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Eric, I am glad you had a good time in my place of exile...... but as W.C. Fields said, "All in all, I would rather be in STL" (taking great liberties with the orginal quote, which said Philadelphia )
Both my wife and I, as I've told you previously, really enjoyed Ste. Genevieve when we visited it last May! I never got to travel that much at all when I grew up in Florissant. Grant's Farm seemed far away, Ste. Genevieve seemed like it might as well have been two states away, and Kansas City could have been in the Andromeda Galaxy back then! California's such a big state that my trip from St. Joe down to St. Louis last September felt like an easy little romp--until I got on eastbound I-70 in O'Fallon, and then I felt like I was in Marin County, CA traffic!

You gotta come back to MO and soon--it's really beckoning you, Girl!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,993 times
Dahubby and I were sitting outside last night watching the sunset and drinking a few brews (it was nice and warm last night) we were reflecting on our move to Missouri which at the end of this month will be a YEAR. After just picking up and moving to a strange place with no friends or family we know we did the right thing. We love it here and do not regret the move at all.
Missouri is wonderful.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:31 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Talking Good Move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post
Dahubby and I were sitting outside last night watching the sunset and drinking a few brews (it was nice and warm last night) we were reflecting on our move to Missouri which at the end of this month will be a YEAR. After just picking up and moving to a strange place with no friends or family we know we did the right thing. We love it here and do not regret the move at all.
Missouri is wonderful.
Yes, Missouri is wonderful. We are so fortunate to live in a state that has so much to offer. Those of us born and raised here appreciate our home state and welcome others that come here and add to the beauty and warmth. Uh, not the heat, the warmth of the people. You know what I mean!

Anyway, glad that you made the move here and feel so much 'at home'. Next time y'all need to send out some invites. Some of us could join you. Even tho' we may not be beer drinkers. Have a great day.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 AM

870 posts, read 3,082,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post
Missouri is wonderful.
We have friends and family now, though, don't we!! Right here on the c-d!!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
Thank you, I value all of your replies, both about being cautious, and about taking the "plunge." Both sentiments reflect our thoughts right now. Even in my thirties, I tend to feel like I haven't really lived on my own since I've always been totally surrounded by family. That can be a good thing and I love my family, but maybe it's time to strike out on our own. And I definitely agree that money is not everything. It wouldn't bring me more happiness.
You might also check out a thread from the Sprngfld/Branson forum from a month or so ago. I think it's titled "Jobs in Missouri - is it just me" or something like that. A lot of the posters have shared their information on the Missouri job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri