Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:08 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times

Advertisements

US Military installations generally don't have much to recommend in overnight lodging for civilian visitors, such as motels "on post". There is the "Fort Wood Inn" right near the FLW gate, don't remember if it is inside or outside the gate. FLW is right next to the towns of Waynesville and St. Robert, there's lots of decent motels and restaurants in those two towns to choose from, rather than staying at Ft Wood Inn:
http://www.visitpulaskicounty.org/lodgingchart.html#ws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 09:34 PM

36 posts, read 141,287 times
Drews Mom,

There is what they call military lodging. It is available to military and
military related civilians.

Here it is:
http://armymwr.com/portal/travel/lodging/ (broken link)
or email them and get the information you need at
centralreservations@csfc.army.mil
or you can call them at
1-800-677-8356 or 573-596-0665
or
you can fax them at 573-596-0943

Anytime you need help just ask! I will help you anyway possible.

I did twenty years in the Navy so I will always be there for you on
any help you need.

By the way there is Military Lodging on the post for active duty and
there dependents/family. They will explain all this to you. You will need
to act fast because there will be a lot of other out there doing the same
thing.

Danbo

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 02-08-2010 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-21-2007, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,274 times
Smile where to stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drews__Mom View Post
Hi,
Im Drew's mom. We live in Ohio.
Drew is leaving for Fort Leonard Wood Missouri, June 6, 2007.

His graduation date [ tentative ] is August 11, 2007.

Can anyone give me advice or information on the how to's of making arrangements to be there and where to stay? I understand there are many motels in the town.. but have been told there is a Motel On Base.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Im looking at the most cost effective way to travel and stay on base or in the area.
Kindest Regards,

Drew's Mom
My youngest just graduated from there in April. The best place to stay is the Comfort Inn. They have a great staff and a very nice rooms. Also, a Cracker Barrel is right near. It is an easy on an off the freeway, plus to the base and back.

Bring lots of film for the camera (no matter what he says!) We got lots of pictures. The staff on base are very, very nice and will help you with just about anything. We went to the awards dinner, which ws so-so. A lot of graduates skipped and went and ate out. He will be allowed off base only for family day - if he hasn't caused any trouble.

Tell him the main thing is to do what they tell you to do and keep your mouth shut. GOOD LUCK to him!

billw

Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 PM

billw

Great advice before graduation! "do what they tell you to do and keep
your mouth shut"

danbo

Old 05-25-2007, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 5,733 times
Default Local and civilian employee of fort leonard wood

Hey Drews mom, I was going to send you a message helping you out with your stay in or around post. But it seems that you have found some good information from others already. I grew up in this area and now I'm civilian contractor on post. The locals around here say the theft on post is worst than off post. And you do want to make sure you get a hotel in the town of St. Robert. Because they get pretty bad in the more rural area. St. Robert is also where the super wal-mart and all the nice restaurants are. When you go through the main gate they will want to see your license, Insurance on the car and the registration. And will probably have you open all the doors, hood and trunk to search the vehicle. So I advise you get the hotel room first so you can put all of your luggage in your room and then proceed to the gate so your search will be quick. Also just a quick note you do want to bring a camera. Because like I said I grew up here and still find myself amazed at some of the things I see here. Oh and if you see a convoy of military trucks try to get in front of them because most are students that have never driven in there life, but now they are in vehicles made to run over things and they go really slow but do not get in the middle of them because they get really upset when you do. And the MP's are driving any and all types of vehicles. So do not speed Hope all goes well and you have a safe trip. I work right along side the military. so maybe I'll meet a private named drew.

I hope I have helped
Cole Jones

Old 05-25-2007, 06:17 PM

I can't believe you made that post! I can't believe the base is going to
appreciated you making that post. If the locals no so much about what
is going on inside the post why is she going to have to go through so
much at the gate. You must be hanging out in the wrong places or just
don't know what you are talking about.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
danbomo - I believe the previous poster was saying that the locals mentioned that in their opinion that theft was worse on the post than outside it, not that the locals were the ones themselves doing the thieving. And yes, the gates are heavily monitored [besides some that used to be open now are now restricted to post personnel only], where you must have proof of insurance, license, and registration [even if just going to the airport on the post] - and posted signs on the post are enforced. My brother in law confirms the above - he has worked on the post for past 15 years too, as well as we used to use the post as a bypass to get from the Edgar Springs area [where we lived] to I-44 for access to Springfield, Lebanon, etc.

BTW, if you like BBQ, highly recommend Sweetwater, and also for a unique experience, Caveman Restaurant. The Pulaski County tourism is a wealth of friendly info/advice - very nice people there. Restaurant listings in Pulaski County, Missouri

btw, please tell your son, and his class mates, that there are MANY people who have them in their thoughts, thank them, and wish them all the best. :up:

Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
danbomo - I believe the previous poster was saying that the locals mentioned that in their opinion that theft was worse on the post than outside it, not that the locals were the ones themselves doing the thieving. And yes, the gates are heavily monitored [besides some that used to be open now are now restricted to post personnel only], where you must have proof of insurance, license, and registration [even if just going to the airport on the post] - and posted signs on the post are enforced. My brother in law confirms the above - he has worked on the post for past 15 years too, as well as we used to use the post as a bypass to get from the Edgar Springs area [where we lived] to I-44 for access to Springfield, Lebanon, etc.

BTW, if you like BBQ, highly recommend Sweetwater, and also for a unique experience, Caveman Restaurant. The Pulaski County tourism is a wealth of friendly info/advice - very nice people there. Restaurant listings in Pulaski County, Missouri

btw, please tell your son, and his class mates, that there are MANY people who have them in their thoughts, thank them, and wish them all the best. :up:

I took it that this was his opinion of the base. That is what I was so
upset about. I know security is a high priority now. I don't argue with that.
I guess it just rubbed me wrong hearing him talk bad about the base.
Everyplace I was ever stationed you always had to show driver license,
proof of insurance, registration etc., I wasn't talking about that.
I know about speeding on base because they tried to stop me when
I was going from base housing to the base hospital because my wife
was having a baby in the car. She delivered in the entrance to the
emergency room with security standing there after they chased me.

Maybe I was a little hard on him. Just rubbed me the wrong way and
how he said it!
Danbomo

Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
No problem. As to FtWood, there used to be NO security there at all to speak of - as mentioned, we used to drive through there w/o showing anything, as there wasn't even guards at the 'gates'. All that changed w/ 9-11, of course. But still, did kind of wonder about that then too before that terrible day - how anyone at anytime could do just about whatever since they could get on the base so easily.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,260 times
7-5-07

My son send us a some dates for family day and graduation as August 16 & 17 2007. But when we check out the 3-10 Bravo companies web site; it shows no dates but TBD on family day and graduation day.
We have already made arrangements for the dates our son gave us; such as vacation time,hotel reservations, etc.
Do we go by what dates my son gave us or should wait until it is posted on the companies web site

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 02-08-2010 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri