Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Columbia: medical facility, universities, Episcopal churches, recreation, night life, brick rancher

Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 PM

15 posts, read 47,705 times

Advertisements

At present I live in Roanoke, Virginia, and let's just say the intellect of the general population is not that high. I am considering relocating to Columbia but want to learn much more! There is a possibility that I can transfer to the VA medical facility and I may be visiting in late October. Please share with me why you love Columbia!! I am already excited because of the universities in the area, but I would like to learn more about the weather (how hard are the winters and how hot and humid are the summers?), cost of living (housing, taxes, utilities, food, etc.), recreation, churches (I am Episcopalian), night life, restaurants, etc. Are the people friendly?

Well, that's enough to get started! I was hoping to find a nice brick rancher or condo for under $200K. Is that possible?

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 03:30 PM

26,435 posts, read 46,684,434 times
Columbia, Missouri is located in central Missouri. It is a large town by Missouri standards and is home to Missouri University. The housing prices would be about average or less compared with most areas of the country. The weather will likely be a lot cooler in the winter compared with Roanoke, Virginia. Expect highs in the 30s or lower to be common between December through February. Warmer temperatures than that are also common as well. In terms of recreation the Lake of the Ozarks and other reservoirs are just an hour drive to the south and southwest of Columbia.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:53 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,556,368 times
Ole Miss Rebel I am sorry I can't really help you. I just moved to Macon which is North of Columbia in August. So far the weather was in 90's with humidity and right now the weather is beautiful and bareable. I heard from the local that is gets really cold here and snow as well. Housing might be a little more high on prices because of it being in the college town but I don't think your going have any problem finding a place to live for that price. You can also consider living right outside of Columbia to live cheaper and still drive into for your everday needs. I don't know much about the VA Hospital but I would definitely apply and Visit first before I moved here.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 PM

31 posts, read 115,081 times
Well, for starters, you'll probably find that people in Columbia are plenty bright. With several colleges in the city (and several others nearby), and a strong medical/insurance business base, it's a well-educated populace.

The best way to describe the winters is...changeable. In my 15 years here, there have been a lot of 40-15 days--40 degree high, 15 degree low--from late November to mid-February. Maybe two thirds of the winter days are within five degrees of that either way. But other third...wow. There always seem to be a couple of random days a month where it gets into the high 50s or even low 60s. And there's often a few really cold days...highs well below freezing. I'd like to say there isn't much snow, because there usually isn't and it doesn't stick long on the ground...except last winter we had two or three good size storms in sequence and had over a foot on the ground at one point. I've spent some time in Virginia...the winters are colder, but not a lot more so. Maybe 5-10 degrees lower on average. Summers in Columbia are similar in temperature to Roanoke, and some days are plenty humid here.

It's an eclectic town, and there's good nightlife even if you aren't 20 with a fake ID. Because of the student population and the major University, we've got a lot of the advantages of a larger city, culturally speaking. The people here are great, IMO.

Taxes are reasonable; figure on around $800 to $1300 a year for the type of house you'll get. Gas/Water/Electric isn't bad...a decently sized house (1500-1800 sq ft.) will set you back less than $175.00 in combined utilities most months. I've got a 1700 sq ft. house; electricity and gas both top out at around $110 a month in the hottest/coldest months. Cost of living is low.

You're housing price is off by about 25-35%. Fortunately, your asking price is actually high. There are some new build 3 bedroom condos for around $130K; you can find a good 3 bedroom/2 bath house for less than $150K without too much trouble. You'll find houses in that price range in good areas...the best thing to do for housing is to take an afternoon and just drive around. You'll get a good feel for the way the city is laid out and what differetn neighborhoods are like, and spend a relatively enjoyable afternoon too.

Hope this helps. And Calvary Episcopal Church is downtown, on 9th street. See you there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: