Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,108,878 times

Advertisements

I have not yet been to Montana yet, so please forgive me for the series of stupid questions.

What about food: Is Montana near self-sufficient in food? When you visit the supermarket grocery section, do you see mostly local produce? (And especially the fruits and vegetables.)

If oil price shot up by 2X or 4X, how would it effect life in Missoula ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,559,138 times
I can not speak to year round availability of local produce, but in summer/fall Missoula has an excellent Farmers Market which includes a local meats division.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:34 PM

297 posts, read 796,520 times
You certainly can live without a car. We live in the Lewis & Clark neighborhood, which I highly recommend. Middle-class, small but nice homes, close to shopping, schools, and parks. I live just one block from the nearest "official" bus stop but have also seen Mountain Line drivers drop people just steps away from our house.

I regularly walk to the grocery store, drugstore, post office, restaurants, mall, and other places. My husband walks to bowling and indoor golf. In the winter I put "YakTrax" on my shoes for walking but don't like to ride my bike in snow for fear of slipping and falling. That's just me. Love riding my bike around town in the nice weather, especially down to Out to Lunch in the summer, food & music every Wednesday downtown along the river.

I wouldn't recommend the Northside neighborhood, the area between downtown and the interstate. Walkable but higher crime. Hope that helps!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
You certainly can live without a car. We live in the Lewis & Clark neighborhood, which I highly recommend...
. . .
I regularly walk to the grocery store, drugstore, post office, restaurants, mall, and other places.
Thanks, MontanaGirl.
Can you give me the name or address of that Grocery Store. I want to look it up on Google.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 PM

I read on another thread that Food costs are higher in Missoula than in Denver.
That was a bit of a shock to me.

What about housing costs?
Would you say they are similar to a place like Denver?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM

297 posts, read 796,520 times
The grocery store I walk to is Albertson's in Tremper Shopping Center on Brooks Avenue. Tremper is a small center with just a few stores -- Albertson's, Ace Hardware (best hardware store in town -- the people working there actually know what they're doing), Paul's Pancake Parlor (kind of a dive-looking diner but some of the best breakfasts in town, try the caramel-pecan pancakes), and The Book Exchange, a wonderful bookstore and coffee shop.

I don't know anything about Denver to answer your other questions, sorry.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,804,994 times
Housings costs are ludicrious in Montana no thanks to out of staters and economy the last 20 years. Unless you have a nice $100k+ sitting in the bank somewhere or plan on finding a job in this town with around 35K in income, forget owning a house up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula