Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,585,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
when you say less restrictive...what do you mean and what states are more restrictive in that particular area?

I'm just trying to understand your response.
Let's compare Mississippi with the District of Columbia. DC had a ban on all firearms unless they were registered before 1976 that was lifted because it violated the second amendment. Currently all firearms must be registered with the police in DC.

Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...ates_(by_state)

It may not mean much to you, but my right to keep and bear arms is important to me. So is my privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Let's compare Mississippi with the District of Columbia. DC had a ban on all firearms unless they were registered before 1976 that was lifted because it violated the second amendment. Currently all firearms must be registered with the police in DC.

Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...ates_(by_state)

It may not mean much to you, but my right to keep and bear arms is important to me. So is my privacy.
D.C. is a bad example since D.C. is not considered a part of the United States. but yes I cherish those same values. I was just wondering what state (besides D.C.) is overly restrictive on gun rights.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,585,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
D.C. is a bad example since D.C. is not considered a part of the United States. but yes I cherish those same values. I was just wondering what state (besides D.C.) is overly restrictive on gun rights.
California is pretty oppresive, so is New York, in my opinion. There are others that a little research will show to be pretty restrictive. I really am glad you don't support the violation of our constitutional rights, but this thread is not about gun control.

I could say i'm happy as a Mississippian to have nice countryside to ride my motorcycle, but that doesn't make this thread about motorcycles. I have to finish up here because i'm bored with this thread and going back and forth.

I do appreciate some of your views, and it seems we share a few common ones.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
California is pretty oppresive, so is New York, in my opinion. There are others that a little research will show to be pretty restrictive. I really am glad you don't support the violation of our constitutional rights, but this thread is not about gun control.
the 2nd amendement is the last rock for us to stand on as a country. when Obama and his boys try to come take those..watch out!

Quote:
I could say i'm happy as a Mississippian to have nice countryside to ride my motorcycle, but that doesn't make this thread about motorcycles. I have to finish up here because i'm bored with this thread and going back and forth.

I do appreciate some of your views, and it seems we share a few common ones.
In this whole thread you NEVER asked me what I was happy about as a Mississippian?

Well, I'm Happy that Mississippi is "slower" than the rest of the country.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 AM

16 posts, read 31,674 times
I said it has nothing to offer for ME...

Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 AM

5 posts, read 8,553 times
Allow me to be more specific. Greenville in particular is awful. I grew up in the early 80's so I can see how Greenville has changed for the worst. Yes, I have fond memories when the area was better, more alive. Now it seems like a ghost town and I try not to visit no more than twice a year. Keep in mind ALL my folks are down there but I hate G'ville so much I can stand seeing them only once or twice a year. In G'ville there's nothing to do and we know what they say about idle minds. They call G'ville lil' Chicago. I wonder why.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,756 times
Question Another study disagrees with these results; MS is third least-happiest state

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HHI View Post
Mississippi ranks 6th Happiest State out of 50. Lets celebrate, for once we are not at the bottom of a statistic!
Happiest States Revealed by New Research | LiveScience
How could this research be correct, when another study shows that Mississippi is the third least-happiest state. Here is a link to the results of the study.

Many people think that people would become happier if they moved from cold climates to warm climates, but that does not appear to be true. While the #1 happiest state is Hawaii, the other nine states in the top 10 of happiest states have cold winters. On the other hand, most of the least happiest states are southern states.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
On the other hand, most of the least happiest states are southern states.
I'm very happy.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM

202 posts, read 350,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I'm very happy.
As am I. In fact, I think a great deal of us Southerners are pretty happy people. Who comes up with this mess anyway?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,248,151 times
There's an old saying I'm fond of. "There are three types of lies... white lies, d@mn lies, and statistics." I've never cared much for such lists because two lists by two independent researchers will come up with two completely different answers... such as Mississippi being #6 on one list and #48 on the other. As an example, one of the criteria for "happiness" on the more recent list is access to health care. Specifically:
Quote:
Holding its bottom spot for a second year, Mississippi scored worst on basic necessities, which also includes having a safe place to exercise, satisfaction with your community and enough money for food, shelter and medicine.
I'm sure education level and access to information factors in there as well. Some of the happiest people I've ever known are some of the most ignorant and least wealthy. I'm not saying they're dumb, just that they never had access to a good education. They exercise by working hard and by growing food in their garden. Their shelter is little more than a shack by city-folk standards, but it's dry and warm in the winter and cool in the summer. They don't bother to listen to the hotheaded blowhards on conservative OR liberal talk radio. I learned a long time ago that true ignorance really is bliss.

If asked if they were happy, they would say "yes", but that's only one of 6 factors. The researchers would probably put then in the "unhappy" category in spite of what they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi