Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 03:46 PM

42 posts, read 83,439 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We currently live in Michigan and we are considering relocating to Minneapolis. We have heard that it is very cold in Minneapolis, do you think it is any different than central Michigan or about the same?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 03:55 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,113,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectplace View Post
Hi everyone. We currently live in Michigan and we are considering relocating to Minneapolis. We have heard that it is very cold in Minneapolis, do you think it is any different than central Michigan or about the same?

Thank you,
The two places are probably similar most of the time. Less snow in the Twin Cities, though, since you won't get any lake effect snow.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:04 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,716,719 times
I would agree that the two places may be roughly equal tempature wise during the year. You're wise to look into such things as climate, temps etc..., before moving though. Don't ever underestimate the effect negative (or positive weather) can and will have on your quality of life. Everybody is different and so what you hate others may like and visa versa.

Minnesota has several climate zones in the state and the northern reaches of the state don't even resemble the southers zones. Just a couple weeks ago I was listening to the radio and the weather guy said it was 37 degrees above zero in Rochester (southern Mn) and 18 below zero in International Falls (northern Mn).....55 degrees different and all in the same state.

Quality of life issues other than weather are certainly important, but as important as they are, unless they are off the charts horrible, I'd still say climate and weather trump them as far as their effect on your daily life for good or bad.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:29 PM

42 posts, read 83,439 times
Thank you both for taking the time to respond to my question. We are trying to gather as much info as possible before making a change in location with our family.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,213,942 times
My son lives south of Kalamazoo Michigan and I live in central Minnesota.

On a day to day winter basis, the temps in Michigan are about 15-20 degrees warmer but he gets more snow ( some is lake affect)

I visit in the summer and don't notice much difference.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:15 AM

29 posts, read 106,551 times
I would say it is about the same as michigan seeing as both states are both far north.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 PM

56 posts, read 244,866 times
Default It must be almost the same

I have a friend in Michigan and I talk to him everyday. From what we talk, I guess MN is few degress colder than MI, and MI has few inched more snow than MN. Apart from that both of our tones are same when we talk during winter and other seasons. So in my opinion for MI guy to move MN may not make much difference

Old 01-29-2009, 07:12 PM

150 posts, read 406,137 times
Wink Lots of differance!

My hubby and I moved here from Battle Creek, MI over 10 years ago. I was raised in Howell MI. So I'm pretty familiar with MI.

There are a LOT of differences! Number one are the property prices. We were looking for property to raise our Alaskan Malamutes in the UP, but it looked like the "spoilers" from the the lower part got there and jacked up the prices where no medium income person could afford it.

The weather here is colder and a lot more snow then Michigan. Today will make the 20th day here NC MN that we woke up to -20 with a wind chill of -35. We've got 4 ft. of snow on the ground and more on the way.

We love it here! But I refuse to "glamorise" MN...it is what it is.

Question about the weather-10786652222.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Question about the weather-10777303181.gif  

Old 01-30-2009, 01:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,113,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieJD View Post
The weather here is colder and a lot more snow then Michigan. Today will make the 20th day here NC MN that we woke up to -20 with a wind chill of -35. We've got 4 ft. of snow on the ground and more on the way.

We love it here! But I refuse to "glamorise" MN...it is what it is.
The northern part of the state is almost always quite a bit colder than the Twin Cities, though. And the northern part of the state tends to get a lot more snow, too, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota