Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:14 PM

72 posts, read 218,771 times

Advertisements

Thanks that was as useful as Golfgal and Robert's comments on previous threads. We've been looking very closely at Minnesota as my companies HQ is based here and there's been a couple of possible openings for me. The big job was closed out due to us not making our financial quarter so I'd given up but there's a chance of another job and that'll make it a May/June move, so I'll be going over there in the summer hopefully and have time to settle in before the cold. I was looking at Lakeville as there was another job over in Eden Praire, but I don't think I have that one. So my commute would be small.

We're definitely thinking of Mahtomedi if I could just pronounce it properly, so far I just get laughed at!! Joking apart, the schools, the commute, the soccer and the lovely homes (many very tastefully decorated I might add! Are you all interior decoraters too?). All point me in Mahtomedi's direction, I just need to find a place I can afford.

Maz--

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin' right along View Post
This is my first post on this site, hope I'm doing everything right!

My husband grew up in Mahtomedi, his mother taught in the school district for years. His family moved to the area (Dellwood) because of the schools. You'll pay for it in your property taxes. Mahtomedi is one of the best school districts in the state, smaller class size, great teachers, wonderful community. Stillwater schools are decent, but much larger than Mahtomedi. If you chose Mahtomedi, you'd be near White Bear Lake (beautiful area), and could buy a nice home for $450k. Close commute to St. Paul but a haul to Eden Prairie (35 miles each way, I did it for 3 months and then moved!). You'd also be close enough (10-15 minutes) to Stillwater to enjoy the shops, the river, the many festivals.

We love the Stillwater area, great houses, still some affordable old Victorian homes. My personal opinion, Minnetonka area homes are cookie cutter, lack any architectural significance - 50s ramblers, bleh. There are exceptions, I'm sure, but you'd really have to look. Wayzata, Excelsior are lovely, great homes, but very expensive. The same feel as Stillwater, but a little more exclusive.

Some sites I've used to help with the house search (in the midst of ourselves, considering the same areas - my husband works in Minnetonka)
www.edinarealty.com, http://education.state.mn.us/ReportCard2005/ (broken link)

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 06:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Mahtomedi= Ma toe me die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota