Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 12,225 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and our 2 year old son) are selling our very small house in the Victory-Camden (North Minneapolis) area and hoping to find a 2+ bedroom house for - and here's the trouble - under $180k. We're at a loss where to move, and are obviously limited by our purchase price. I'm at home with our son, my husband works in Minnetonka. We're searching communities up to 30 miles from his office, though closer would be better. We've considered staying in the city, maybe buying a small house in Northeast (we lived there many years ago and enjoyed it), but think maybe we're ready to be out of the city. I know there are hundreds of towns to consider, but we do have some requirements/desires: community with history and traditions, older and affordable homes, but showing signs of growth, good grocery/co-ops and restaurants, nice parks and maybe a river or lake, decent schools and libraries, good neighbors. Basically Stillwater but not that far. We don't ask for much! As for the house, we're pretty open. While we love older (75+ years old) homes, we'd consider newer if it was interesting. We plan to take the summer to look, visiting different towns each weekend to see what suits us. All we have on our list so far is Buffalo. Any other places we should consider? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,608,797 times
Did you look at parts of Saint Paul, there aren't as many problems in St.P and it has just as nice of houses. There are areas, certainly, where you wouldn't want to live, but a good area may be very nice. I would also look in Saint Louis Park and Hopkins. Both have good schools and a strong community. If you wnet for a condo you would porb. get more square feet as you don't pay for all the land. There are some nice old 4-plexes in SW Mpls and large complexes in the Southdale area. I woulkd not be looking at Buffalo as it would be 30 miles from work through commuter traffic. Not worth it IMO. Hope that can get you started more, the best of luck
-----Minnehahapolitan

Old 05-13-2007, 01:36 PM

184 posts, read 1,023,511 times
Buffalo is a nice town. Also consider places like Watertown and Delano. You'll still have quite a hike to Minnetonka, but I think you already know that.

Another option is to actually go inner-ring. Look for the up-and-coming parts of north Minneapolis. You'd have a reverse commute to Minnetonka which not many people have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota