Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 04:52 AM

44 posts, read 166,409 times

Advertisements

My neighbor, who is 68, has been referred to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester for further evaluation and was told that the hospital did not take Medicare. Is this so? I thought Medicare was accepted everywhere in the U.S.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 06:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
They probably do not accept medicare and medicare is not accepted everywhere. The Mayo is different in the way they handle their insurance and many insurance companies do not have coverage at Mayo. It would be best to speak to the medicare office and the Mayo insurance office because there are always exceptions, especially if it is something that is unique and the Mayo is the only place around to receive treatment.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:19 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
As I type, I am at the Mayo Clinic with a friend of mine, as she undergoes testing and evaluation(s) of a condition they helped diagnose about four years ago. She is a Medicare patient.

The Clinic is most helpful in all areas. I would say a simple phone call might answer your questions. Good luck to your neighbor -- I hope she makes it here, as this is an incredible place. I have never seen a medical facility like it. What a vision the Mayos had.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 7,260 times
My husband had a kidney removed, due to cancer, 7 years ago at MayoClinic Rochester. He has gone every year for check-ups. Mayo has accepted Medicare all the time. I do know if you live outside of Minnesota you have to pay a 15% upcharge. I also know that Mayo Clinic Phoenix has stopped accepting Medicare patients. I would call the billing department at Mayo to make sure, as this can change from year to year...

Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
My father has had some procedures done at Mayo and they accepted his Medicare.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM

They had a Mayo dr on WCCO radio last week and he said that the Mayo clinic is changing the way they deal with Medicare but not discontinuing it all together. Basically the medicare reimbursement is so low that they lose money. I didn't hear the whole show so I don't have specifics.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,425 times
I think the Mayo thing was about Medicaid, not Medicare. Some states have such low payment rates on Medicaid Mayo stopped taking it from those states, I can't recall which ones.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:42 AM

128 posts, read 282,146 times
This is an old thread, but anyway, Mayo Rochester still accepts Medicare. But for some reason, the reimbursement rate for Medicare to Mayo is low compared to private insurance and apparently compared to other states.It is one reason why Mayo lobbied hard spending almost $1M against the public option as well as Medicare expansion to people 55 years old.
I did hear they stopped accepting Medicare at one of their clinics in Arizona.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlequeenie View Post
This is an old thread, but anyway, Mayo Rochester still accepts Medicare. But for some reason, the reimbursement rate for Medicare to Mayo is low compared to private insurance and apparently compared to other states.It is one reason why Mayo lobbied hard spending almost $1M against the public option as well as Medicare expansion to people 55 years old.
I did hear they stopped accepting Medicare at one of their clinics in Arizona.
That's what they were talking about on 'CCO, now that you say that. I think it was one group of Dr's at their Scottsdale clinic that stopped accepting Medicare.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:01 PM

128 posts, read 282,146 times
Yes, I think most people think it must be Medicaid not Medicare b/c Medicaid is a needs-based program, not everyone accepts it, I'm sure it doesn't pay well (although I don't know the numbers for sure and it probably varies from state to state) and someone on Medicaid from one state can't necessarily be treated in another state and have their own state's Medicaid pay for it. I THINK there are some sort of agreements among continguous states.

But the fact that Mayo has stopped accepting MEDICARE - which just about every single person 65 and older has (including the Mayo CEO who just retired!) - at at least one of their facilities in AZ is to me just shocking. I know at one point not too long ago they decided to stop taking new Medicare patients for primary care, but now this...

Very sad. But so far I have seen nothing about Mayo Rochester. So far they are still accepting Medicare patients in all medicine and surgery specialities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota