Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 14,509 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis isn't bad at all. It fares much better than nearby cities such as Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Gary, or Detroit. The crime in Minneapolis is well concentrated. (Don't go North of I-394 or West of I-94)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 01:28 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Don't let that BS slide show "article" worry you. The so-called "survey" is crap, because the author doesn't make even a halfassed attempt to explain what the numbers mean. Probably because she didn't bother making even a halfassed attempt to understand it herself.

How, exactly, does the FBI determine a city's crime risk index? How are crime statistics compiled and collated to generate those numerical rankings? If we don't know that, then the information is worthless - and we don't know that, because the author made no attempt to explain it. Just grabbed some numbers and spent a half hour putting together one of those useless "slide shows" that websites love because it means more page-views and therefore more ad revenue. I'd file it right next to "The 10 Cities Most Likely To Be Hit By An Asteroid."
If you were talking about the crime statistics in isolation, then you would have a small point assuming that somehow a differing method exists, for instance, for calculating murders per 100,000 individuals. Personally, I don't see how the method and result could vary much outside of possible juridictional differences in definitions for crimes such as rape. Either way, regional crime statistics aren't considered in isolation. They are always considered in relative measure to crime statistics in other places. The crime of all cities is calcuated by the FBI using the same method, and therefore the offical methodology is irrelevant because it is the de facto most authoritative methodology. The FBI is the foremost authority on crime tatistics and therefore its method is the accepted standard. Any possible variation in crime statistic calculation that you might entertain would be de facto less authoritative in the discussion, barring any large flaw found in their methodology. A large flaw would be somewhat big and therefore easy-to-find news.

If you want to recalculate the offical ranking based on different crime statistic prioritizing (differently prioritizing all violent crime, the murder rate, rape, etc.) then there is an interactive table on the wikipedia U.S. city crime ranking page that allows you to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I, for one, wasn't trying to argue that Minneapolis as a whole was any safer or any more dangerous than any other city on any given list -- just pointing out how ridiculous it was, when identifying personal safety risks if considering a move, to look at overall numbers, rather than looking at specific location. It's absolutely true that the safety of any city can vary drastically by neighborhood. Just as suburbs also vary greatly, or suburbs within any one suburb can likewise vary greatly.
I disagree. Proximity is everything. If what you say is true, then it wouldn't matter how close or far you lived from a high crime area. I could live on a "safe" block next to a block that had a high murder rate and because there were no murders on my block, using your logic, it would be claimed that my area is not dangerous.

The truth is that dangerous neighborhoods affect the quality of life of an entire city to a degree. Crime spills over and parts of the city become unnofficially off-limits to the safety conscious part of the population that does not have to live there. As high crime areas become more prominent, the city takes on a less-trusting, if not dangerous, overall feel despite safe pockets. People are perfectly rational to take into account the overall numbers, as those numbers will likely accurately reflect the overall social feel and fabric of the city as well as statistical risks. To illustrate: most of us would not choose to live in a "safe" neighborhood in Detroit, the most statistically dangerous large metro in the country, despite it not being a specifically dangerous neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFan1 View Post
I think the crime statistics for Minneapolis is blown out of proportion. The Twin Cities is relatively safe with a few pockets of bad areas but it's nothing like St. Louis, Chicago, or Detroit for that matter.
Faint praise. You listed three of the more dangerous cities in the country, one of them being the most dangerous. More relevant comparisons would be with Seattle, San Francisco, and Boston. These are the cities that are most often compared with the TC, especially in terms of the arts and the economy, and which are often upheld as relatively model cities/regions in the USA. When we want to be better, we don't compare ourselves to those who perform much worse. The real world, relatively ideal example (city - in terms of crime in this instance) is always a more appropriate contrast. The murder rate of Minneapolis is embarrassingly high compared to Seattle's, for instance, at approximately 2.5 times the rate. I can't recall to specific murder rates of the the other cities that I mentioned at the moment.

Last edited by golgi1; 04-10-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 09:31 PM

74 posts, read 90,061 times
https://coms.doc.state.mn.us/Level3/

wow lots of level 3 sex offenders in mpls..maybe one would look up the other communities to see how they compare.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:56 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,201,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMinnesotan View Post
Minneapolis isn't bad at all. It fares much better than nearby cities such as Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Gary, or Detroit. The crime in Minneapolis is well concentrated. (Don't go North of I-394 or West of I-94)
Also include Milwaukee on that list of cities with a higher murder/violent crime rate than Minneapolis. Anyways, it makes more sense to compare to cities in the same region than a trendy "peer" comparison to cities over 1,000 miles away IMO. That being said, achieving Seattle's lower rate should be a goal. (Tacoma has a higher rate of crime, though).

Old 04-13-2014, 09:22 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,029,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I disagree. Proximity is everything. If what you say is true, then it wouldn't matter how close or far you lived from a high crime area. I could live on a "safe" block next to a block that had a high murder rate and because there were no murders on my block, using your logic, it would be claimed that my area is not dangerous.

The truth is that dangerous neighborhoods affect the quality of life of an entire city to a degree. Crime spills over and parts of the city become unnofficially off-limits to the safety conscious part of the population that does not have to live there. As high crime areas become more prominent, the city takes on a less-trusting, if not dangerous, overall feel despite safe pockets. People are perfectly rational to take into account the overall numbers, as those numbers will likely accurately reflect the overall social feel and fabric of the city as well as statistical risks. To illustrate: most of us would not choose to live in a "safe" neighborhood in Detroit, the most statistically dangerous large metro in the country, despite it not being a specifically dangerous neighborhood.
But what is proximity to you? I live in a quiet neighborhood in the city, just across the river from downtown Minneapolis. As the crow flies, I'm awfully close to North Minneapolis (I worked in North for a while, and my commute was about 2 miles). When I visit friends in the North Loop, I'm even closer. Yet I have no fear walking about my neighborhood (or the North Loop), and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone with a legitimate concern of getting randomly shot or being the victim of a crime. Things like murder are rarely random.

It's just silly because nobody in Linden Hills or Kenwood has any reason to fear the crime coming out of North Minneapolis. I mean, if they are afraid, why isn't anyone sending up red flags in Golden Valley? It literally abuts North Minneapolis! Oh geez!

Nobody will argue that you should typically avoid the neighborhoods that are "block by block" when it comes to crime. But there are an overwhelming number of city neighborhoods where we all feel very comfortable and without concern for crime (above, you know, taking normal precautions).

Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 PM

416 posts, read 560,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Faint praise. You listed three of the more dangerous cities in the country, one of them being the most dangerous. More relevant comparisons would be with Seattle, San Francisco, and Boston. These are the cities that are most often compared with the TC, especially in terms of the arts and the economy, and which are often upheld as relatively model cities/regions in the USA. When we want to be better, we don't compare ourselves to those who perform much worse. The real world, relatively ideal example (city - in terms of crime in this instance) is always a more appropriate contrast. The murder rate of Minneapolis is embarrassingly high compared to Seattle's, for instance, at approximately 2.5 times the rate. I can't recall to specific murder rates of the the other cities that I mentioned at the moment.
Meh. Seattle, SF, and Boston don't exist in vacuums. They are huge cities that also are not far away from other huge (compared to MSP) cities. Are you talking Seattle proper? West Seattle/Alkai? White Center? Shoreline? Oakland/San Jose? etc..

Minneapolis crime is not a surprise considering it's basically an oasis between Chicago and Seattle and in Minnesota itself. Of course crime is going to be comparatively higher since there's nowhere else to go. It's Minneapolis and St. Paul, period, for hundreds of miles. Unless Eau Claire and DesMoines are considered metropolis's now.

This isn't rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota