Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

I, for one, wasn't trying to argue that Minneapolis as a whole was any safer or any more dangerous than any other city on any given list -- just pointing out how ridiculous it was, when identifying personal safety risks if considering a move, to look at overall numbers, rather than looking at specific location. It's absolutely true that the safety of any city can vary drastically by neighborhood. Just as suburbs also vary greatly, or suburbs within any one suburb can likewise vary greatly.

As far as Linden Hills versus Coon Rapids, seems like things could get pretty skewed when looking at one small neighborhood versus a much larger suburb.

In any case, I can't imagine the vast majority of people would avoid Linden Hills because of a perception of crime. I wouldn't lose sleep over a very slim chance of a burglary (while I would lock my doors -- as in many, although not all, cases these burglaries are still crimes of opportunity). I think the story here is not "Linden Hills is unsafe!", but rather "Coon Rapids is not sketchy" -- although I'm going to assume that, given its size and population, that Coon Rapids has some variation within its neighborhoods, too.

Although as far as safety, I see that the OP has a household full of weaponry -- statistically speaking, I think in most neighborhoods (in both city and suburbs) his family is going to be at greater risk of being of being hurt by an accident in the house than from some outside threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:09 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
In all fairness, SW Minneapolis is seeing an uptick in crimes and murder cases so it's not as great at you are making it out to be....
In all fairness, Eden Prairie is seeing an uptick in shootings...

Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 AM

495 posts, read 684,344 times
To the OP don't move to Brooklyn Park. The southern half has a getto felling to it. Its also the only city in Minnesota where our house got broken into (and ive lived in a lot of cities in MN). As far as murders and other violent crime its mostly gang and drug related. If thugs and gang members just started shooting a bunch of random white people there would be a HUGE crackdown and they know it.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
To the OP don't move to Brooklyn Park. The southern half has a getto felling to it. Its also the only city in Minnesota where our house got broken into (and ive lived in a lot of cities in MN). As far as murders and other violent crime its mostly gang and drug related. If thugs and gang members just started shooting a bunch of random white people there would be a HUGE crackdown and they know it.
I'm not about to recommend Brooklyn Park to the OP, but there are also plenty of nice parts in the city too. One of my coworkers built a house there a while back and they seem to enjoy it (they aren't worried about the school district, though).

Brooklyn Park is more dangerous than your average suburb, but it's hardly some bastion of crime where you can't walk alone ever.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,042 times
well I have lived here much of my adult life, and i would have said that the Twin Cities were safe, but my son got robbed at gunpoint in downtown St. Paul last week in broad daylight while waiting for a transfer bus home from college. So there you go.....

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM

687 posts, read 1,255,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
As far as Linden Hills versus Coon Rapids, seems like things could get pretty skewed when looking at one small neighborhood versus a much larger suburb.
I didn't look for a neighborhood with a high burglary rate. I picked the first neighborhood I could think of. A quick look suggests that there are NO neighborhoods in Minneapolis that have burglary statistics as low as places like Lino Lakes or Vadnais Heights. This isn't an issue of small sample size vs. large sample size. If it was, you would expect to find some neighborhoods of Minneapolis with low burglary statistics. Please point them out if you find them.

Quote:
In any case, I can't imagine the vast majority of people would avoid Linden Hills because of a perception of crime. I wouldn't lose sleep over a very slim chance of a burglary (while I would lock my doors -- as in many, although not all, cases these burglaries are still crimes of opportunity). I think the story here is not "Linden Hills is unsafe!", but rather "Coon Rapids is not sketchy" -- although I'm going to assume that, given its size and population, that Coon Rapids has some variation within its neighborhoods, too.
This is all relative. Of course your odds of being the victim of a burglary in Linden Hills aren't that large in any year. But, your odds of being the victim of a burglary in Detroit aren't that good either. But, stating that there are some "very, very safe areas within the city limits" suggests that the crime rates of some parts of Minneapolis are comparable to the safer suburbs. Looking at statistics that appears to be flat out false.

Maybe I am just misinterpreting what you are saying, but it sure sounds to me like "there are places in the city that have as low of crime rates as the safer suburbs".

Quote:
Although as far as safety, I see that the OP has a household full of weaponry -- statistically speaking, I think in most neighborhoods (in both city and suburbs) his family is going to be at greater risk of being of being hurt by an accident in the house than from some outside threat.
Any data to back that up? You're looking at about a 1% chance of burglary each year in Linden Hills per household. I wouldn't be shocked if the accident rates are lower.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:14 PM

58 posts, read 137,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
I was actually thinking about moving in that area. On brooklyn ave North or something like that.

Thanks for that though. Probably won't now.

I think I have started a war with this topic lol

I didn't mean to. Still digging deep. I have noticed lots of crime recently in Eden Prarie

Bloomington has also gotten lots of crime

via the metro raid map.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
I didn't look for a neighborhood with a high burglary rate. I picked the first neighborhood I could think of. A quick look suggests that there are NO neighborhoods in Minneapolis that have burglary statistics as low as places like Lino Lakes or Vadnais Heights. This isn't an issue of small sample size vs. large sample size. If it was, you would expect to find some neighborhoods of Minneapolis with low burglary statistics. Please point them out if you find them.
I think what UU was saying was that you're comparing an entire city (Coon Rapid, Lino Lakes, Vadnais Heights) to a very specific neighborhood. Those are different scales, because Linden Hills is an area with a specific set of neighborhood characteristics, whereas an average of a city/suburb includes commercial areas, multifamily areas, and sleepier suburban areas.

It would probably be best to compare Linden Hills with a neighborhood of Coon Rapids with a similar level of commercial/residential breakdown, street types, and other characteristics. That's much more representative.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:07 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I think what UU was saying was that you're comparing an entire city (Coon Rapid, Lino Lakes, Vadnais Heights) to a very specific neighborhood. Those are different scales, because Linden Hills is an area with a specific set of neighborhood characteristics, whereas an average of a city/suburb includes commercial areas, multifamily areas, and sleepier suburban areas.

It would probably be best to compare Linden Hills with a neighborhood of Coon Rapids with a similar level of commercial/residential breakdown, street types, and other characteristics. That's much more representative.
No different then the comparisons UU was making....

Old 02-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No different then the comparisons UU was making....
What are you saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota