Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM

242 posts, read 854,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
^ " I have to watch her closely to keep her from going into the bog during temps in the teens and 20s!"

Why? she can't go swimming at those temps.

We get a covering on the swamps and lakes when the temps fall below 32*f
we call it ice.

It gets thick enough that you and your dog can actually walk on it.
Some times it gets thick enough to drive on.

International Falls, Minnesota is in the 66% percentile rank in the state for Violent Crime. It is in the 99% percentile rank nationally. Lower numbers are better. In this case, 66% of cities in Minnesota have crime rates equal to or lower than International Falls, or said another way, 34% of cities in Minnesota have crime rates higher than International Falls.

International Falls, Minnesota has a property crime rate of 3018.1 incidents per 100,000 people. This compares with an average rate of 3469.5 in Minnesota and an average rate of 3727 incidents per 100,000 nationally. Lower numbers are better, indicating that fewer crimes happen per person in the population.

International Falls, Minnesota has a violent crime rate of 3152 incidents per 100,000 people. This compares with a rate of 2877 in Minnesota and a rate of 676 nationally. Lower numbers are better, indicating that fewer crimes happen per person in the population.

Where are you getting these statistics? All of Koochiching County doesn't have 100,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,178,426 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2013 at 07:31 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 418,052 times
What are some of everyone's favourite things about International Falls, for those who like Int'l Falls that is?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:37 PM

242 posts, read 854,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I just don't buy that at all. I've asked my entire family who has lived here from 20-80+ years and they aren't aware of any current violent crime going on in the area. This would mean that half of the population of International Falls would be involved in a violent crime. If you look at the table on this website it is kind of lumping all of the data together. There are 134 reports of aggravated assault, 653 of burglary, 2196 of larceny theft, and 167 of motor vehicle theft. Is motor vehicle theft violent crime? I can't get a lot of the links on the website to work. I'd like to know more about their sourcing directly from the FBI website.

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2013 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,616,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikälskaren View Post
What are some of everyone's favourite things about International Falls, for those who like Int'l Falls that is?
Well, the public library in I Falls is quite good (Hi Diane!). They bring in as much programming for the community as they can.

The best thing about I Falls, though, is not the town itself, but rather the surrounding region. It is beautiful up here; lots to do for people who enjoy the outdoors!

I Falls is like most towns up here - a combination of very blue collar nice people who work very hard in a smelly industry (mining/logging/paper mills) with crunchy granola type people who move here because of the beauty of the natural environment. Makes for an interesting and sometimes contentious mix!

Are you locked into I Falls? Because, if you aren't, go see the nicest town up here - Grand Rapids.

On the other hand, I think people should live in places that call to them. Maybe I Falls has a special experience in store for you!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, the public library in I Falls is quite good (Hi Diane!). They bring in as much programming for the community as they can.

The best thing about I Falls, though, is not the town itself, but rather the surrounding region. It is beautiful up here; lots to do for people who enjoy the outdoors!

I Falls is like most towns up here - a combination of very blue collar nice people who work very hard in a smelly industry (mining/logging/paper mills) with crunchy granola type people who move here because of the beauty of the natural environment. Makes for an interesting and sometimes contentious mix!

Are you locked into I Falls? Because, if you aren't, go see the nicest town up here - Grand Rapids.

On the other hand, I think people should live in places that call to them. Maybe I Falls has a special experience in store for you!
That's good to hear, I love libraries as well as the outdoors! No, I'm not locked into I Falls, it just called to me and I enjoyed my short time there. But what everyone, including you, has said makes sense and I could always live somewhere like Grand Rapids if I were to ever move to MN and I could just visit I Falls. Most likely I'll probably remain in Ohio, especially since my parents recently moved back to Ohio, but visit MN as often as I possibly can. I think that International Falls's being so far north is what originally struck my interest, as dumb as that may sound, but then when I finally visited and saw it for myself I liked it. I've heard good things about Grand Rapids and I definitely want to see it. I have a feeling that I would love Grand Rapids too! Birthplace of Judy Garland, isn't it? I remember noticing years ago that Grand Rapids has several restaurants that Int'l Falls doesn't and I'm guessing that there are other things as well. I bet it would be fun to spend an entire Summer in MN. I'm hoping that maybe it will be easier for me to talk my parents into visiting MN now that they're back in Ohio and therefor much closer to MN than when they lived in FL. We have family in WI so we could see them on the way to and/or from MN, which will definitely help my cause because they've expressed interest in visiting our family in WI again. They've not been back to visit WI since circa 1980 I think they said. I liked Wisconsin too and I had fun visiting the family on my first trip to Wisconsin and Minnesota in 2004. I've thought about moving to Wisconsin in the past as well. I would consider living in MN, WI or MI if I were to leave Ohio. I've thought to myself that perhaps Iowa would be slightly warmer and less harsh of a climate than MN but I don't really have any interest in living in Iowa. It seemed like a nice state when we passed through en route to and from South Dakota and I'd guess that Iowans are probably nice people as well but it doesn't appeal to me as much as MN, WI, MI or even Ohio to be honest. And that's in no way, shape or form meant to insult or bash Iowa because it seemed nice and was pretty, I just have no interest in living there. And, by the way, I really like and appreciate the positivity of your post. Instead of bashing or insulting I Falls, you praised the surrounding area and suggested an alternative! I got a very positive vibe from your post and I also appreciate the helpfulness of your post!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
we do not care for this place because of Squirrel and Moose

sincerely,

B. Badanov
N. Fatale
I feel so stupid! I just now realised that this was a reference to Boris and Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle lol!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,616,693 times
Hey Musik...

It was on the news last night that the paper mill in I Falls will be shutting down two of it's production lines in the next year, which will result in about 250 people being laid off. There aren't a lot of other jobs for them in town. This will have a negative affect on all of the local businesses.

On the other hand, I think people are kind of used to a boom/bust local economy and people moving in and out accordingly.

It's just something to consider if you're still thinking about moving here.

But I thought of another positive about this area - cost of housing is VERY low!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Hey Musik...

It was on the news last night that the paper mill in I Falls will be shutting down two of it's production lines in the next year, which will result in about 250 people being laid off. There aren't a lot of other jobs for them in town. This will have a negative affect on all of the local businesses.

On the other hand, I think people are kind of used to a boom/bust local economy and people moving in and out accordingly.

It's just something to consider if you're still thinking about moving here.

But I thought of another positive about this area - cost of housing is VERY low!
Wow, damn! That really sucks about the two production lines but I greatly appreciate your telling me! I think that at this point I'll probably remain a tourist and just visit the area while remaining an Ohio resident. I really appreciate all of the replies and I don't really want it to end so I want to keep this thread going because I'm really enjoying talking to everyone, it's fun! That's good about the low housing though. I've grown attached to Int'l Falls but I think that being a visitor is best for me because of my family in Ohio as well as the distance and economy but despite my not being a resident and/or having any natural connections to the city, I still care about the city of I Falls and I want to see it flourish! I'm also thinking that I may retain my love and appreciation for the city as well as the state in general far more if I remain a visitor. I have so much love for the state of Minnesota in general, the places within it and the Minnesotan people, of course! I pray for many blessing and good things in general to come for all of you and the state of Minnesota as a whole! I look forward to continuing this thread, if that's ok with everyone. You're all just so friendly and easy to talk to!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:46 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,483,603 times
So what do people who live there do to get by? Pretty far from any sort of industry I would think. Do they cater to outdoor sports enthusiasts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota