Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 PM

74 posts, read 228,526 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the absence. Having computer problems (let's just say a big glass of milk introduced itself to my laptop!).

As always, I really appreciate the feedback. I feel like I'm really getting a much better hold of the city and the areas. We will probably be coming up in the next couple of weeks to see MPLS for ourselves.

It sounds like one part of Edina (east of 100 and above 62) might be worth checking out -- thanks LindsayNYC!

Having said that, I think we will be leaning towards Uptown/Linden Hills areas first and see what might be available there. I will definitely do a little digging about public schools and may need your input.

Our price range is up to 1.5 I think. But that would also vary based on real estate taxes, etc. From my online search, it seems that this would give us nice options to weight as we search for a home to buy. We definitely want a single family home with a little property (don't want to go back to walking the dog in the rain in the middle of the night).

So let's see. I will definitely keep you posted on our visit and our impressions. Thanks again.

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Yes, you'll be in great shape with that budget. You can probably even get a place facing one of the lakes for that price, possibly even with money to spare. You'll find you can buy a LOT more for your money in the Twin Cities than in NYC.

Someone mentioned Prospect Park earlier; I had meant to add my two cents to that, and to say that while it isn't as fully walkable as what you're looking for (it's not far from things, but is a bit more off the beaten path) but it does have a reputation for its architect-designed homes. It's a nice neighborhood, has a great little community school (the smallest in the city, I believe) and community center, and an interesting mix of people living there (including lots of university faculty from the U of MN and from the nearby St. Paul college campuses). If you're exploring different areas it might be worth putting on the list because of its houses, or at least checking to see if any of the interesting homes are on the market (there's a wide range, with what seems -- although I'm no Prospect Park expert -- a bigger spread between the bottom end and the top end than what you find in the lake neighborhoods like East Isles/ECCO/Kenwood/Linden Hills.)

Old 07-13-2010, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 17,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Mama View Post
My husband may be taking a job in Minneapolis. We currently live in NYC. I'm a little nervous about the move, but I'm open to what Minneapolis has to offer.

What neighborhoods would you suggest we look into that will make us most feel like home? We have an 18 month old, so I'd like a good pre-school or kindergarden near by. Although I read somewhere that one is not restricted to your school districts. Is that correct?

A friend who lives out there suggested Uptown. Thoughts? Other Suggestions?

I'm open to a nice suburb if there's a house we reallllyyy like.

If money was no object, where would you live in Minneapolis. Thank you!
Uptown is very expensive and I think a suburbs would be nice and they cheaper. Minneapolis and St. Paul is filled with suburbs. To me it's a suburban city. However, if you want to remain in the city then southern minneapolis area would be better and Uptown is a lovely choice. Richfield, Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Edina, St. Louis Park, Minnetonka, Burnsville, there are so many that are options and you can find affordable housing in any suburb. From what I know, the children attend the school that is in their district. The southern suburbs are more pleasureable than the northern suburbs. Minneapolis is not a cultured city like NYC or other northeastern cities and the people are actually poorer than the people in NYC. The poor people take poor to the EXTREME.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:14 PM

507 posts, read 878,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobehappy View Post
Uptown is very expensive and I think a suburbs would be nice and they cheaper. Minneapolis and St. Paul is filled with suburbs. To me it's a suburban city. However, if you want to remain in the city then southern minneapolis area would be better and Uptown is a lovely choice. Richfield, Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Edina, St. Louis Park, Minnetonka, Burnsville, there are so many that are options and you can find affordable housing in any suburb. From what I know, the children attend the school that is in their district. The southern suburbs are more pleasureable than the northern suburbs. Minneapolis is not a cultured city like NYC or other northeastern cities and the people are actually poorer than the people in NYC. The poor people take poor to the EXTREME.

Overall , the Twin Cities are the most cultured major urban area in the USA.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Hi there! Not sure if any of you remember me, but we're finally coming up in a couple of weeks to MPLS to visit. I have a great list of places to see thanks to all of you. I already did some online house hunting (Uptown and Linden Hills areas) and am excited to see the place for myself.

Now I know your winters are dreadful, but what is the summer like?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:26 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Mama View Post
Hi there! Not sure if any of you remember me, but we're finally coming up in a couple of weeks to MPLS to visit. I have a great list of places to see thanks to all of you. I already did some online house hunting (Uptown and Linden Hills areas) and am excited to see the place for myself.

Now I know your winters are dreadful, but what is the summer like?
If you judged it by today, you'd have to say dreadful--the dew point is over 70. It feels like Atlanta today! Fortunately, our summer weather is a wide mix--we have some incredibly beautiful days--75 and crisp, clear weather or we can have hot & humid. Last week was beautiful--I biked to work several days and really enjoyed the commute.

Although we do get more than our fair share of dreadful winter weather, its not always that bad. You may find yourself enjoying a winter's walk when its sunny and 20 degrees.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 AM

Well, we're finally coming up today to MPLS through Sunday. Very excited to finally see the city for myself. Have an awesome real estate agent who's lined up some great homes for us to see and give us a nice tour. Maybe he can show the parts of town that don't get as cold during the winter Wishful thinking, I know.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:06 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
Good luck! I'm curious to hear your reaction(s) so let us know how it goes. Hopefully you get a chance to do some sightseeing or hit some Minnesotan events while you're here- it's too bad you're just going to miss the state fair but you could probably take in a Twins game!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,641 times
Welcome NYC, from the Big Apple to the Minneapple! All good advice there from Urbanist, Golfgal and Libby. There are many options for you and your family here, as MPLS is home to a wealth of wonderfully 'family friendly'... even 'family driven' neighborhoods. By that I mean being involved in ones block, neighborhood, community etc. is very common and also goes hand in hand with the cities' culture. A few additions to the list of possibilities: (You know what might really help? Opening up a new tab to *goggle*maps and checking out the street views, nearby points of interests, transportation routes and all that fun stuff while you ponder...Then again, as I just thought of that, you probably know what the whole city looks like by now

Kenwood is just up the hill from the Walker Art museum/Sculpture Garden on the edge of downtown, despite being in such close proximity to much of what the city has to offer including the lakes and uptown, Kenwood is a quiet neighborhood with beautiful and historic homes. There are a variety of architectural styles and even sizes. One constant would be the prices. Kenwood has some of the more expensive properties in the city. Just to the south is East Isles. I second the suggestion to look here extensively. Not as quiet or secluded as Kenwood, you will find friendly families in basically every house, progressive minded people, and it's just steps from the restaurants, art and theater of Hennepin Ave.(which is the main nerve of uptown)

Further south and west coninues to be areas you will surely like as well. Neighborhoods around lake Calhoun and lake Harriett are most ideal for what you are looking for. Although, if looking at a map, anything west of Hennepin going south until 36th street, then you can jump east to Lyndale Avenue starting at 36th street and continue south to Minnehaha Parkway. Anything in that area to the west and south of uptown fits the bill for what you're looking for. At that point you can also go east along the parkway and find some fantastic areas as well.

One other thought that I hadn't seen mentioned is not officially in MPLS, although it's closer to your work than say lake Harriet would be, is Saint Louis Park. SLP is an extension of MPLS in a lot of ways. There are neighborhoods just barely into SLP that are great, dare I say perfect for what you're looking for. Not suburby feeling. They are basically connected to the neighborhoods mentioned earlier; Kenwood, East Isles and the chain of lakes area.

There are some great schools and yes your kids are able to attend the public school of choice. There's also no shortage of higher education choices. It's a great place to raise a family. So many options for them, whether it's education, the arts, sports or other activities.

Best of luck in your search and the move!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,641 times
Default Ummmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobehappy View Post
I'm confused, not quite sure how 'poor people take poor to the extreme'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul