Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,120 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I'm planning on moving in the near future to Minneapolis or the surrounding areas and I have been looking at houses in Brooklyn Park. I have read the other forum on here and found some helpful information but I just wanted to ask a few specific questions. I'll list some of the houses I've been looking at and hopefully someone can give me some information on the areas they are in.
*The first house is on Aldrich Circle N, it is to the East close to where Brookdale Dr. and N Humboldt Ave. cross but closer to Highway 252.
*This house is located on Idaho Ave. N close to the North Hennepin Community College
*This house is on Bryant Ave. N next to Bellvue Park and is actually in Brooklyn Center
*This last ouse is on 81st Ave. N next to Hamilton Park

Those are just a few I've found on real estate websites but have not went to see them yet. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:01 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,710,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP88 View Post
Hey there, I'm planning on moving in the near future to Minneapolis or the surrounding areas and I have been looking at houses in Brooklyn Park. I have read the other forum on here and found some helpful information but I just wanted to ask a few specific questions. I'll list some of the houses I've been looking at and hopefully someone can give me some information on the areas they are in.
*The first house is on Aldrich Circle N, it is to the East close to where Brookdale Dr. and N Humboldt Ave. cross but closer to Highway 252.
*This house is located on Idaho Ave. N close to the North Hennepin Community College
*This house is on Bryant Ave. N next to Bellvue Park and is actually in Brooklyn Center

Those are just a few I've found on real estate websites but have not went to see them yet. Thanks

I used to live right by 81st and Hamilton park, the area has grown increasingly worse, but nothing to be scared about. Brooklyn Park gets a lot of grief on here, but the fact of the matter is that it's an older inner-ring suburb that is about 7 miles from Downtown MPLS, so you can expect a little spillover crime. I liked BP because it was more urban than a lot of suburbs, not your typical "suburb" with rows of strip malls and generic homes, however the northside of town has become this.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:10 PM

138 posts, read 371,618 times
I agree with the posters that said BP crime is over stated. There are good and bad parts just like any suburb.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:26 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,430,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
but the fact of the matter is that it's an older inner-ring suburb that is about 7 miles from Downtown MPLS, so you can expect a little spillover crime.
I don't feel like trying to develop a detailed response to explain, but this is a terribly thickheaded generalization...couldn't be further from the truth. You're basically saying that crime is at its most concentrated level in the city center of Minneapolis and just kind of spills outward..... You clearly weren't thinking when you posted this.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I don't feel like trying to develop a detailed response on why I feel this way, but this is a terribly thickheaded generalization...couldn't be further from the truth. You're basically saying that crime is at its most concentrated level in the city center of Minneapolis and just kind of spills outward.....which couldn't be further from the truth.

So you're arguing that Golden Valley has less crime than Monticello?

If you aren't than how can you argue that Golden Valley has crime, but has no correlation to it's proximity to Minneapolis?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I don't feel like trying to develop a detailed response to explain, but this is a terribly thickheaded generalization...couldn't be further from the truth. You're basically saying that crime is at its most concentrated level in the city center of Minneapolis and just kind of spills outward..... You clearly weren't thinking when you posted this.

Also, I was getting at since it's a suburb situated closer to the city, it's more common to see crime that's associated with the urban lifestyle - Break ins, robberies, gun fire and rapes...

I didn't write the book, I just read the chapters man.

It's not ironic that some of the Twin Cities most crime ridden suburbs are situated adjacent to some of the most crime ridden areas of MPLS and STP.

Ever notice that the most picked on Suburb of the Twin Cities (Brooklyn Center) sits adjacent to the most picked on neighborhood in MPLS (North)?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,775,874 times
Quote:
Ever notice that the most picked on Suburb of the Twin Cities (Brooklyn Center) sits adjacent to the most picked on neighborhood in MPLS (North)?
Id say Robbinsdale is closer, but whatevs.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 PM

67 posts, read 149,617 times
Quote:
Also, I was getting at since it's a suburb situated closer to the city, it's more common to see crime that's associated with the urban lifestyle - Break ins, robberies, gun fire and rapes...

I didn't write the book, I just read the chapters man.

It's not ironic that some of the Twin Cities most crime ridden suburbs are situated adjacent to some of the most crime ridden areas of MPLS and STP.

This is the Twin Cities not Chicago
Urban doesn't always equal crime btw some small towns have worser problems

Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 PM

182 posts, read 512,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP88 View Post

I'd say the Idaho Ave. N. and 81st Ave. N. house are pretty similar as far as areas. The Idaho house might be in a little better area.

As far as the Brookdale Dr. house, that's not the greatest area, but nothing to be worried about...might be really close to 252 (could be good and bad).

Not too familiar with the Bryant Ave. N. area too much...should be alright...closer to downtown minneapolis, but further from the Brooklyn Park shopping areas.

Overall, I'd look at the first two I mentioned...pretty good areas for both neighborhoods and location...really close to the Brooklyn Park shops (Cub, Target, etc.).

Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 PM

182 posts, read 512,930 times
and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask...i'm just a college student, but grew up in the area, so i'm pretty familiar and not gonna beat around the bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul