Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM

8 posts, read 19,478 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to St Paul (Roseville) in May. What are the options for utilities?

I'll need:
Electricity
Gas
TV
Internet

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Since most utility companies have a monopoly in an area you may not have a choice for gas, electric, water. You do probably have a choice between cable, satellite and DSL though.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemss View Post
I'll be moving to St Paul (Roseville) in May. What are the options for utilities?

I'll need:
Electricity
Gas
TV
Internet

Thanks!
Elec & Gas = Xcel (greedy MFs). If you're unfamiliar with them...they like to include in the monthly bill little self-serving, warm-fuzzy pamphlets proclaiming all they're doing to save the environment and bring down costs. Then they go to the utilities commission and ask to jack up their prices.

TV & Internet = we have Comcast, but your choices vary. They're well-known for playing pricing games, but I've been pleasantly satisfied with their service and customer support. Been with them over six years.

Water/Sewer are handled by the city. The city water is very good (and doesn't taste fishy in the spring like Minneapolis water!). Roseville lists a bunch of trash collection companies on their website. We went with the cheapest one.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:39 AM

138 posts, read 370,555 times
I found that you can negotiate with Comcast. But you have to be tough. I kept saying "you can do better than that." I got turned over to a supervisor and got a slightly better deal.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Elec & Gas = Xcel (greedy MFs). If you're unfamiliar with them...they like to include in the monthly bill little self-serving, warm-fuzzy pamphlets proclaiming all they're doing to save the environment and bring down costs. Then they go to the utilities commission and ask to jack up their prices.

not sure about electricity, but natural gas is regulated by the PUC...so Xcel doesnt see any profit from the distribution of it.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:26 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
not sure about electricity, but natural gas is regulated by the PUC...so Xcel doesnt see any profit from the distribution of it.
Oh yes, they do see profit. They are also a publicly-traded company (symbol is XEL on NYSE). Their big beef lately has been that, with the recession, people are using less electricity to save money, thereby eating into Xcel's profits. So they went to the PUC to ask for a rate increase, and the PUC allowed a partial increase. Well, that's just political. If you need $7, you ask for $10, knowing they'll give you $7. I'm sure their recent request to raise the price of gas will be at least partially approved.

Why a publicly-regulated utility company needs to be profitable and traded on the stock market is beyond me. The worst part is that the consumer has absolutely no choice in what company to use. If you don't like Xcel's prices or services, you're screwed. That's why it's "regulated" by the government. Somewhere that fell apart. Your only choice is to use less of the product, but that has the effect of a feedback loop when they ask for higher prices.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:26 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Comcast is a ripoff. I recently spoke with somebody who lives in St. Louis Park and is paying $50+/month just for internet service! I'll stick with my Minneapolis city-wide internet service for $15/month, thank you very much.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:29 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Oh yes, they do see profit. They are also a publicly-traded company (symbol is XEL on NYSE). Their big beef lately has been that, with the recession, people are using less electricity to save money, thereby eating into Xcel's profits. So they went to the PUC to ask for a rate increase, and the PUC allowed a partial increase. Well, that's just political. If you need $7, you ask for $10, knowing they'll give you $7. I'm sure their recent request to raise the price of gas will be at least partially approved.

Why a publicly-regulated utility company needs to be profitable and traded on the stock market is beyond me. The worst part is that the consumer has absolutely no choice in what company to use. If you don't like Xcel's prices or services, you're screwed. That's why it's "regulated" by the government. Somewhere that fell apart. Your only choice is to use less of the product, but that has the effect of a feedback loop when they ask for higher prices.
they profit of course...no business that doesnt profit would be able to sustain itself. What I meant is strictly off the sale and distribution of natural gas they have no control over the cost per therm, nor do they mark it up.

I dont disagree that a regulated utility provided by a corporation is dumb though.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 AM

19 posts, read 55,988 times
Regulation is good. You could be like some of the people in California watching their electricity bills go from an average of 70 dollars/mo to 400/mo over a period of three years. Thanks to de-regulation.

There was the whole Enron scandal of Enron buying stock in an out of state utility company then shutting off their own power plants and saying there is a shortage. Then increasing everyones rate to cover the electricity costs that were 3 times what in state power plants were producing for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul